Restaurant Recommendations

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:44 pm

I don't get how nothing but Souper Bowl ever survives over there.
It and Milanos all that are left. And Shales of course but no food there. Bufords, closed. TGI Fridays, closed. I get it, not much of a draw other than on Pens home games but sheesh. Hell even Aces and Deuces was boarded up.

Seriously, got to the east lot at 5:20pm tonight. By the time we got to milanos it was full. Almost 2 hours prior to puck drop, nothing. It's ridiculous. The entirity of fifth Ave looks like a main road in some third world country.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:55 pm

Aces and Deuces had more problems than a lack of customers:

Stolen Guns, Drugs, And Cash Seized In Uptown Bar Raid
https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news ... id-uptown/
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) - State Police have confirmed to KDKA that guns, drugs, and cash were seized during the raid of Ace's & Deuces earlier this week.

According to police, two stolen handguns, suspected cocaine, marijuana, and cash were all taken from the bar on Wednesday afternoon.

Agents from the Nuisance Bar Taskforce, vice and narcotics detectives, state police, Allegheny County Health Department, and the Liquor Control Board were all part of the midday raid.

The bar was cited for the improper cold holding of food, inadequate sanitation, and recurring sewage.

As a result, the bar was shut down.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:15 pm

Is Cafe 5th still open?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:25 pm

It was the last time I went to a game.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:27 pm

Is Cafe 5th still open?
Where was it? I never have been there

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:38 pm

Is the subway still open next to where Fridays was? Lol

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:03 pm

I am shocked! Shocked! To see criminal activity at aces and dueces

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:05 pm

I'm honestly surprised that any of the restaurants around there managed to survive. Over a year of no in-person events at the area, Duquesne on remote classes, and downtown generally being a ghost town would kill just about any restaurant.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:39 pm

Is Cafe 5th still open?
Just down the street from the Souper Bowl away from the arena. They used to have decent food and good drink specials before games.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:23 pm

Is the subway still open next to where Fridays was? Lol
Nope

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:24 pm

Is Cafe 5th still open?
Just down the street from the Souper Bowl away from the arena. They used to have decent food and good drink specials before games.
We didn't walk that far. Mrs mac was hangry and I saw a line at the suoper bowl so we just went into the arena. Didn't know there were 2 options down there.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:44 am

It is strange that the area doesn't have restaurants. My wife worked full time at UPMC Mercy for several years and there wasn't a place you could just go during lunch break for a bite to eat. You could easily develop that area and get customers during non-game days from the hospital alone.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:00 am

a lot of hospital workers dont have the luxury to walk somewhere to get something to eat. barely hvae time to get to the cafeteria and back to eat.

moonlit burgers is opening where red ring used to be on the duquesne campus

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:01 am

I'm part of a FB group that discusses restaurants and cuisine in the State College area and boy oh boy are people sensitive.

Someone asked for any Chinese restaurants that don't use MSG. For those of you that don't know, MSG isn't bad for you. It never has been. The origins of thinking it's some terrible thing for you are extremely xenophobic in nature. Anyways, I said this:

"I know this doesn't answer your question, but the "MSG is bad for you" myth has been debunked. MSG does little to nothing when it comes to physical harm, but it sure can make food tasty."

You'd have thought I came to this old lady's house and punted her dog across the yard. Holy hell. A professor in nutrition that I know came and also posted some scientific studies showing MSG sensitivities are suuuuuuper rare. By and large they're all placebo effects. She also added:

"Are you able to eat parmesan cheese? Cured ham? Tomatoes? These have free glutamates in them. I'm wondering if it's the salt that's bothering you and not the glutamates?"

Seems reasonable right? If you have an MSG issue, you should have issues with all these other things too.

"I can’t believe the rudeness of these people. It affects you, and they can’t answer the question without acting like your dumb. What has happened to this group???"

"You are so out of line!! You should seriously be ashamed of yourself. I have serious issue when I digest food with MSG and for you to be so ignorant is really pathetic... no humanity what so ever"

These boomers just astound me. At one point the original poster said that she gets terribly sick when she has MSG or salt. SALT. It took every fiber of my being to not say "Then stay home and eat oatmeal..."

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:07 am

a lot of hospital workers dont have the luxury to walk somewhere to get something to eat. barely hvae time to get to the cafeteria and back to eat.

moonlit burgers is opening where red ring used to be on the duquesne campus
That's true, but it's not to say a group of nurses or therapists couldn't put an order in to a local sub/sandwich shop and have it delivered. Most eat and type through lunch, but having lunch delivered would be a good option.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:11 am

I think LITT is referring more to the clinical side. For major health systems like UPMC, etc., there are massive amounts of non-clinical employees.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:12 am

Ehhhh, I think you're the dadhole on this one. User asked a question based on a preference and you started your reply with "I know this doesn't answer your question...[but here's a lecture about your preference]."

You say MSG sensitivity are super rare; she claims she is in that group. Instead of being helpful and recommending a restaurant that caters to her need you, a random internet person and your friends, told her what her nutritional tolerances are. Do you also tell people they're probably not allergic to peanuts, too?

If someone asks for a restaurant recommendation in a local restaurant group and your first instinct is anything other than providing the name of a restaurant you're on the wrong track. When viewed in the light of how you described it you've crossed the line into bullying.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:15 am

Source of the post If someone asks for a restaurant recommendation in a local restaurant group and your first instinct is anything other than providing the name of a restaurant you're on the wrong track.
Agreed here. I've seen it happen in my township's FB group before, as well.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:23 am

Well then I'm a bully. I can take that. When she went on about how she "immediately gets sick" when she has too much salt on her meals as well. Nope. No remorse at all.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:27 am

Yeah, she sounds like a pain in the ass. I agree with your assertions, just not the venue.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:37 am

I think, had it been peanuts, gluten, or some other thing that's proven to be problematic for people I'd have been more sensitive to it. Instead the xenophobic origins and since debunking of the fact that it does anything to people lead me to my response.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:00 am

It is strange that the area doesn't have restaurants. My wife worked full time at UPMC Mercy for several years and there wasn't a place you could just go during lunch break for a bite to eat. You could easily develop that area and get customers during non-game days from the hospital alone.
Not only are there not restaurants, the buildings there all appear to be one wind storm away from rubble. Are they student housing? I don't understand. Everything on Fifth between like Magee and Washington place legitimately looks like a crumbling post war ghetto. I guess the Pens don't care either, because they'd rather have everyone inside eating $14 personal pan pizzas and $7 hotdogs washing them down with $14 beers

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:30 pm

I'm part of a FB group that discusses restaurants and cuisine in the State College area and boy oh boy are people sensitive.

Someone asked for any Chinese restaurants that don't use MSG. For those of you that don't know, MSG isn't bad for you. It never has been. The origins of thinking it's some terrible thing for you are extremely xenophobic in nature. Anyways, I said this:

"I know this doesn't answer your question, but the "MSG is bad for you" myth has been debunked. MSG does little to nothing when it comes to physical harm, but it sure can make food tasty."

You'd have thought I came to this old lady's house and punted her dog across the yard. Holy hell. A professor in nutrition that I know came and also posted some scientific studies showing MSG sensitivities are suuuuuuper rare. By and large they're all placebo effects. She also added:

"Are you able to eat parmesan cheese? Cured ham? Tomatoes? These have free glutamates in them. I'm wondering if it's the salt that's bothering you and not the glutamates?"

Seems reasonable right? If you have an MSG issue, you should have issues with all these other things too.

"I can’t believe the rudeness of these people. It affects you, and they can’t answer the question without acting like your dumb. What has happened to this group???"

"You are so out of line!! You should seriously be ashamed of yourself. I have serious issue when I digest food with MSG and for you to be so ignorant is really pathetic... no humanity what so ever"

These boomers just astound me. At one point the original poster said that she gets terribly sick when she has MSG or salt. SALT. It took every fiber of my being to not say "Then stay home and eat oatmeal..."

My late mother was sensitive to MSG to the point that it caused her physical pain. And yes, she was also sensitive to cheese, mushrooms, and similar foods high in glutamic acid (sharp cheese in particular would give her a splitting headache). She was also a nurse practitioner who did nutrition for her patients, and she had plenty of patients who also had MSG sensitivities. In particular, my mother found that for her interstitial cystitis* patients, may of them could reduce if not eliminate their pain/urge/incontinence symptoms by specifically cutting MSG out of their diets.

While MSG does not affect most people, I would not say that MSG sensitivities are "suuuuuuper rare." Neither is MSG sensitivity a placebo effect. My mother had literally hundreds of patients who could falsify that assertion.

* IC is a condition marked by chronic pain and inflammation inside the bladder, which results in pain, feeling the need to urinate, needing to urinate often, and incontinence.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:24 pm

Source of the post Neither is MSG sensitivity a placebo effect.
All I'm saying is that the scientific literature doesn't back that up.

I don't fault someone for cutting MSG if they want to. Same with gluten, same with meat, same with any other thing they'd like to cut out of their diet. One of the members of the group who is a chef in the area let this particular person know that Chinese restaurants aren't the only restaurants that use MSG, she should be careful about pretty much any restaurant in the area and her response was "I only get sick from Chinese food." I'd say her experience and your MIL's experience are quite different from one another.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:27 pm

10%, by weight, of the salt in my countertop cellar is MSG and has been for years. So it's part of my default seasoning for absolutely everything that comes out of my kitchen, and some things get a bit extra. I buy it by the 1-lb bag.