Restaurant Recommendations

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:30 pm

Only issue there is getting there and back during rush hour on Friday. I'll have to check the traffic before heading out. I did want to hit up Jean-Marc Chatellier's as well for a separate errand so that might actually work.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:36 pm

We are going to see Aladdin Sat night at the Benedum. Any suggestions for places to eat within walking distance? Wife wants to try Meat and Potatoes and I'm not opposed. We don't need anything super fancy, but a step up from normal dining I guess?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:40 pm

Meat and Potatoes is very likely already full; call now.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:41 pm

We are going to see Aladdin Sat night at the Benedum. Any suggestions for places to eat within walking distance? Wife wants to try Meat and Potatoes and I'm not opposed. We don't need anything super fancy, but a step up from normal dining I guess?
Just avoid Peter Allen's and you'll be fine.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:42 pm

FYI, you can reserve a table through Yelp. Looks like they are indeed booked up from 5:30-8:15, although you could do an early dinner.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:43 pm

If it were a nice night for a walk I'd probably go a few blocks over to The Commoner.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Not quite in range, but Frank's in Millvale has the best buffalo chicken pizza on earth.
Have you tried any of their other locations? They have one on Mt. Royal in Shaler that would work really well.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:52 pm

You get the same quality at all Frank's joints, imo.

We would get either from Mt Royal or Perry Highway, depending on Shaler football schedule.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:53 pm

Not quite in range, but Frank's in Millvale has the best buffalo chicken pizza on earth.
Have you tried any of their other locations? They have one on Mt. Royal in Shaler that would work really well.
I've tried the other one on 101 Rochester Rd, Pittsburgh, PA, however it wasn't nearly as good. Honestly I'm not sure how the one in Millvale is after all the flooding.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:11 pm

FYI, you can reserve a table through Yelp. Looks like they are indeed booked up from 5:30-8:15, although you could do an early dinner.
Booked 5:15 through Yelp. Will do an early dinner and kill time if we have to. We are both weird about being late for things anyways.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:19 pm

Booked 5:15 through Yelp. Will do an early dinner and kill time if we have to. We are both weird about being late for things anyways.
You should order Meat and potatoes for two. You will not be disappointed

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:04 am

You should order Meat and potatoes for two. You will not be disappointed
I saw that on the menu...that is definitely an option. Sounds really good.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:10 am

Only issue there is getting there and back during rush hour on Friday. I'll have to check the traffic before heading out. I did want to hit up Jean-Marc Chatellier's as well for a separate errand so that might actually work.
Jean-Marc's hours are changing. The store will be open 7am-2pm. Currently it is a temporary change, but it might become permanent. So if you are going in the am you should be fine.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:16 am

Best takeout pizza in the general vicinity of Rt. 8 between Etna and the turnpike; just not feeling Pizzarita this time. Go!
Just because I know 'Om is a shitsipper I'll reiterate that HURRRR DURRRR OLIVES AND DER PEPPERS is north of the turnpike and is excluded from consideration both geographically and on principle.
I was actually gonna say Grande, but it too is north of the Pike. Milano's is pretty dang good, though.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:39 am

Best takeout pizza in the general vicinity of Rt. 8 between Etna and the turnpike; just not feeling Pizzarita this time. Go!
Just because I know 'Om is a shitsipper I'll reiterate that HURRRR DURRRR OLIVES AND DER PEPPERS is north of the turnpike and is excluded from consideration both geographically and on principle.
I was actually gonna say Grande, but it too is north of the Pike. Milano's is pretty dang good, though.
I've hit up Grande per a previous 'Om suggestion, and they are decent. Not worth driving out of your way, but it's 3 minutes from my house so it works.

I would also like to know the answer to dodint's question, as there must be something worthwhile in the vicinity.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:43 am

Milano's. It's the tastiest that I've found in our delivery area. Pizzarita is ok.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:17 am

JMC is so worth it. His cakes are amazing. I hate that he's in Millvale and keeps getting ganked by flooding, etc. But I admire his loyalty to that neighborhood.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:32 am

Jean-Marc's hours are changing. The store will be open 7am-2pm. Currently it is a temporary change, but it might become permanent. So if you are going in the am you should be fine.
Thanks for the heads up!

Pizzarita is good pizza, but it's about a quarter mile away and I'm a little burned out on it, and as we've said before the price skews high for what you're getting.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 am

rip uncle sams in Oakland. good fries imo

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:56 am

The one in Squirrel Hill is a ghost town.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:11 pm

I don't understand why its always a ghost town. plenty of places to eat well in squirrel hill, but not plenty of places to eat a sammich.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:31 pm

rip uncle sams in Oakland. good fries imo

WHAT????

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:35 pm

We went to Swan Oyster Depot on Wednesday before heading to San Jose for Foo fighting. Anthony Bourdain did five hours of TV here over the years, and every single episode featured a stop here, and now I know why. If you ever visit SF, you owe it to yourself to stop by. A dozen oysters, shrimp Louie salad, and luscious crab back washed down with two Anchor Steams is the breakfast of the gods.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:02 pm

I don't understand why its always a ghost town. plenty of places to eat well in squirrel hill, but not plenty of places to eat a sammich.
They dont even take cards there, and last time i was in was a million degrees.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:23 am

Had a great meal at Cafe 33, which is a Taiwanese restaurant in Squirrel Hill near the corner of Forbes and Shady. I was there with my brother and SIL, who are regular customers, so the service was extra attentive. I enjoyed just about everything. I had the classic "three cup chicken," which was great. Scallion pancakes were excellent, as was the fermented cabbage, turnip cakes, and Taiwanese sausage. I had some of everyone else's entrees, and they were really good as well. The cabbage was mixed with carrots and had the texture of kimchi, but it was notably sweet instead of kimchi's spicy. I really like cabbage, and that cabbage was super good. Great food.

I say "just about" because I also challenged myself to another go at stinky tofu in the form of the deep-fried stinky tofu appetizer. It wasn't as stinky as I remember it being, and I can say I revised my personal classification of the dish from "totally revolting" to merely "not very good." I ate about half and donated the rest to my brother, who likes the stuff. I cannot say I particularly liked it or would go out of my way to eat it, but I found I could at least tolerate it. (Finding food I don't like greatly irritates me.) The tofu was crispy and perfectly cooked with a tasty sauce over top, but to me the smell (and to a slight extent flavor) reminds me of sewage, and I can honestly say I've never found myself thinking, "You know what would make this taste better? A smidge of poop." YMMV. Lots of people love the stuff.

A lot of the people who work at Cafe 33 used to work at Rose Tea Cafe before Rose Tea changed ownership, and of the two Cafe 33 is the better place if you want to try authentic Taiwanese cuisine in Pittsburgh.