Restaurant Recommendations

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:03 pm

I'll also add Pusadee's Garden and Green Mango to the list of good Thai food in the burgh. Too bad the Green Mango in Regent Square closed. It was always nice to eat there then hop across the street to grab some suds at Dee's.

There was a decent Chinese place I went to once on Rte 51 in Brentwood, near the Brentwood shopping center. Can't remember the name of it.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:54 pm

Pusadee's Garden on the patio in the summer is tough to beat.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:07 pm

I have yet to find decent Chinese food in this town.
Unless things have changed, you won't.
There are some good, authentic Chinese restaurants in Pittsburgh. Chengdu Gourmet and Sichuan Gourmet have good Sichuan food, if you like things hot and spicy. Everyday Noodles serves Chinese-and Taiwanese-style noodles, dumplings, and potstickers, and the owner brings in chefs from Taiwan to do the cooking. Pink Box Bakery makes Asian baked goods like Taiwanese egg tarts and Chinese pork buns. Rose Tea Café has Taiwanese-style food. All of these restaurants are in Squirrel Hill.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:21 pm

Hunan wok in moon is pretty good too. I wouldn't know authentic Chinese if it hit me in the teeth, but this place is way better than any Chinese buffet. Thats my barometer for good Chinese

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:38 am

I have yet to find decent Chinese food in this town. Thai food, yes. Nicks is spectacular.
Chan's Tea House in West View.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:01 am

I have yet to find decent Chinese food in this town.
Unless things have changed, you won't.
There are some good, authentic Chinese restaurants in Pittsburgh. Chengdu Gourmet and Sichuan Gourmet have good Sichuan food, if you like things hot and spicy. Everyday Noodles serves Chinese-and Taiwanese-style noodles, dumplings, and potstickers, and the owner brings in chefs from Taiwan to do the cooking. Pink Box Bakery makes Asian baked goods like Taiwanese egg tarts and Chinese pork buns. Rose Tea Café has Taiwanese-style food. All of these restaurants are in Squirrel Hill.
China Palace (sichuan style) in Shadyside must have changes chefs, because the food is really good. It was a always a good go to but pretty basic. But the dishes have gotten significantly better over the past couple of months.

There is a new Korean place just 2 blocks from my house. Don't ask me the name, it's in Korean. And it's always packed with Koreans of all ages, so it must be good.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:04 am

There's a place here in State College called Little Szechuan... my god is it delicious. By far some of the best Chinese I've ever had. They have a line out the door almost daily, but if you get there early and with a group of 4-6, you can get a booth and we all order one plate and share it with the table. They have some of those dishes with the peppers that cause the numbing sensation. Unfortunately they're closed this month, but luckily it's because they're renovating and putting in more seating.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:24 am

where should i go to dinner tonight

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:57 am

Has anyone else gone to Fat Heads since they shortened their menu? One of my favorites is gone (Garveys Bacon Jalapeno Cheesesteak), as well as their chargrilled wings which is what I ususally went their for.

They must have installed a smoker since that figures into a lot of their menu choices. In place of the chargrilled wing dings are full smoked wings. They're ok, but I didn't like them anywhere near as much as the blackened wings I used to get there.

We also tried two of the new sandwiches - a smoked meatloaf one called the Wedding Crasher (which was pretty good), and a carolina bbq pulled chicken sandwich called the Pull Monty, which I thought was terrible. Kind of cold, not very juicy, just not good at all.

It was the first time I've ever been disappointed there. Theres still plenty of sandwiches there I like, but I always went for the wings, so I doubt I'll choose to go there over somewhere else any time soon.

Heres a link to the old menu:
http://web7.nidhog.com/~fatheads/Fat%20Heads%20Menu.pdf
46 sandwiches

and the new one:
http://fatheadspittsburgh.com/menu.html
40 total sandwiches and burgers, including a few new ones

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:04 am

Has anyone else gone to Fat Heads since they shortened their menu? One of my favorites is gone (Garveys Bacon Jalapeno Cheesesteak), as well as their chargrilled wings which is what I ususally went their for.

They must have installed a smoker since that figures into a lot of their menu choices. In place of the chargrilled wing dings are full smoked wings. They're ok, but I didn't like them anywhere near as much as the blackened wings I used to get there.

We also tried two of the new sandwiches - a smoked meatloaf one called the Wedding Crasher (which was pretty good), and a carolina bbq pulled chicken sandwich called the Pull Monty, which I thought was terrible. Kind of cold, not very juicy, just not good at all.

It was the first time I've ever been disappointed there. Theres still plenty of sandwiches there I like, but I always went for the wings, so I doubt I'll choose to go there over somewhere else any time soon.

46 sandwiches

and the new one:
Do they still have the pierogie and kielbasa sandwich at fatheads? That was my go to sandwich.

Edit: I see they do looking at the newer menu.. Southside Slopes 12.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:07 pm

46 sandwiches

and the new one:
The Garvey's Bacon Jalapeno Cheese Steak was my mom's go to and the Aloha Chicken was my brother's, so that's two disappointed customers there. I too was a big fan of the chargrilled wings, sad to see those go. Why would a Pittsburgh restaurant drastically change their menu in a city that hates change? I don't like this. Not one bit.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:29 pm

I can see scaling down some of the sandwiches. Especially if they had some with special ingredients that they didn't sell many of and still had to store somewhere. Thats the only thing that make sense, because they are constantly packed.

I think they should use social media to advertise weekly/monthly rotating sandwiches. If they have some that aren't super popular thats a good excuse to get people who like them into the door for that limited time.

Looking at the old menu they must have had a smoker, since theres a lot of stuff like brisket and pork on it. I just seemed to notice more things cooked that way when I checked out the new menu.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:32 pm

Also I noticed I missed 2 pages on their old menu. i thought it seemed like the menu was physically much smaller.

they went from 80 sandwiches down to 40. wow.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:51 pm

Also I noticed I missed 2 pages on their old menu

they went from 80 sandwiches down to 40. wow
Yea, the Headwich population is still there with the new menu (though with some changes that I might not necessarily be happy about), but the burger choices are way down, the subs and sandwiches are way down, and the melts and flatbreads are gone.

Also just noticed that the only sandwich my wife has ever gotten from Fathead's (Portly Fellow) is now off the menu and has no similar replacement. This will not go over well.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:05 pm

They probably trimmed out the stuff that either A) didn't make them money, or B)weren't ordered alot. 80 sandwiches when you think about it.. is nuts.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:28 pm

The food is way better in the Pittsburgh Fatheads, but the beer is better in Cleveland. Also, the one in Cleveland is in a suburb with lots of space and parking, which is really nice.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:09 am

went to gaucho. never disappoints.

their new space is pretty nice

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:37 am

Is it easier to get in now? The couple times I tried to go, I just gave up since the line was too long.

LITT

Postby LITT » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:41 am

Is it easier to get in now? The couple times I tried to go, I just gave up since the line was too long.
we got there around 545. not terribly busy and got a table right quick but by 630, before pirates game, line was out the door n at

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:43 am

we got there around 545. not terribly busy and got a table right quick but by 630, before pirates game, line was out the door n at
Thanks...will have to try again at slightly off hours.

Panther

Postby Panther » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:55 pm

They probably trimmed out the stuff that either A) didn't make them money, or B)weren't ordered alot. 80 sandwiches when you think about it.. is nuts.
The answer is that those are one in the same. The ones that weren't ordered a lot led to inventory that went bad (loss of money).

A friend of mine works there, and he said they do a shakeup like this every few years. He also said that it seems like every single person who comes in is upset that "their" menu item was removed.

If your menu item went away, you can basically pick the closest thing to it and then add and remove things as necessary to frankenstein yourself the old menu item. It was pretty hilarious on their Facebook page the day they announced the menu change. The owner was frantically responding to every single complaint and began throwing out wild How-To Guides on building the old sandwich.
(Someone asked about "The Bender")
Fat Head's Saloon: You can ask for a South Side Slopes, no pierogi, sub provolone, add fried egg, sausage and Original sauce.

lolz

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:59 pm

As long as the double d headwich stayed, I don't have a problem with menu changes... lol

Panther

Postby Panther » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:02 pm

As long as the double d headwich stayed, I don't have a problem with menu changes... lol
It's gone. And you can't custom order that one either because they got rid of banana peppers completely.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:39 pm

I quit fatheads pittsburgh forever.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:14 am

Buffalo Blues closed last week, which seemed unexpected to me. It was basically the only thing resembling a sports bar in the east end, so I was there several times a year and there always seemed to be a crowd. Watching the World Cup there last summer was a blast. I didn't think the wings were great, but the drink specials were good and I liked a few of the sandwiches.

I have some inside info on who will be moving into that space, but I'm not sure I can share it yet. Nothing super exciting, just one of the local restaurant groups looking to move a location into there.