Restaurant Recommendations

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:29 am

Source of the post...they got rid of banana peppers completely.
Their stock just went up in my view.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:48 am

Source of the post...they got rid of banana peppers completely.
Their stock just went up in my view.
Stock went negative in my book, lol.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:49 am

I'm all for choice, but if *something* just *had* to go, starting with banana peppers is good hustle. Get rid of tomatoes and I'll throw you a parade.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:54 am

interesting re: buffalo blues. before mad mex came along, they were basically able to exist in their market due to lack of competition. everything there was pretty average. with the growth of brgr and mad mex, that probably squeezed them out

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:33 pm

Buffalo Blues closed last week, which seemed unexpected to me. It was basically the only thing resembling a sports bar in the east end, so I was there several times a year and there always seemed to be a crowd. Watching the World Cup there last summer was a blast. I didn't think the wings were great, but the drink specials were good and I liked a few of the sandwiches.

I have some inside info on who will be moving into that space, but I'm not sure I can share it yet. Nothing super exciting, just one of the local restaurant groups looking to move a location into there.
I would very much disagree that Buffalo Blues was the only thing resembling a sports bar in the East End, so long as "East End" means Shadyside, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, and Oakland.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:01 pm

I was just referring to walking distance from my house :pop:

shadyside, east liberty, larimer, i guess bloomfield too

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:14 am

Anybody been to Blue North in Duncan Plaza? I finally remembered to look it up after driving past it every day, and was quite surprised by what it entails.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:28 am

interesting re: buffalo blues. before mad mex came along, they were basically able to exist in their market due to lack of competition. everything there was pretty average. with the growth of brgr and mad mex, that probably squeezed them out
Yep. Buffalo Blues started out great, and then slid into average and stayed there due to lack of competition. They should have realized they needed to get back to their A game when Mad Mex moved in, and BRGR took off.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:46 am

The restaurant I was originally talking about taking over that space was Brgr, but they decided to move further up Highland closer to Home Depot (as the PG reported last week).

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:55 am

Theres a Stak'd in Oakland now where Joe Mammas used to be.

I think thats a great concept to go in there, and it was packed too. The Stak'd on Copeland Street has good food at pretty low prices, and when I've been in there it seemed like mostly college kids. Wingharts in Oakland didn't work because it cost too much.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:59 am

Anybody been to Blue North in Duncan Plaza? I finally remembered to look it up after driving past it every day, and was quite surprised by what it entails.
Couple times. Had good experiences. I guess I'd say check it out if you're curious.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:51 am

Couple times. Had good experiences. I guess I'd say check it out if you're curious.
Might have to. :thumb: It's very close to where I live.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:11 am

I think thats a great concept to go in there, and it was packed too. The Stak'd on Copeland Street has good food at pretty low prices, and when I've been in there it seemed like mostly college kids. Wingharts in Oakland didn't work because it cost too much.
They've also opened a new restaurant on Ellsworth, The Tipsy Cow. It's where the old Shadyside Saloon used to be. I want to try it, as I like Stak'd.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:49 am

The Gyro Place in Canonsburg. Despite the seemingly generic name, the gyros are excellent. The only thing that sucks is that they aren't open on weekends or I'd probably eat there every week. Hell, I might start doing that for a dinner during the week anyway.

@PFiDC will back me up on this one.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:37 am

Olympos Gyros in Robinson/Mckees Rocks is the bomb.com

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:42 am

@Malkintent

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:20 am

The Gyro Place in Canonsburg. Despite the seemingly generic name, the gyros are excellent. The only thing that sucks is that they aren't open on weekends or I'd probably eat there every week. Hell, I might start doing that for a dinner during the week anyway.

@PFiDC will back me up on this one.
This is true. I think I'm gonna have lunch there today as a matter of fact.

Their hummus is amazing.

malkintent

Postby malkintent » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Guntown, gyros. That's like my whole upbringing steamrolled into one.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:32 pm

So we went to what I think is one of the best Chinese restaurants I've ever been to today, and we happened to have taken a Chinese undergrad with us. Apparently there's a secret menu for non-white people. He ordered for all of us off the secret menu. Wow. One of the best meals I've ever had. Little Szechuan is the restaurant in State College... If you're ever in town, go there with a group of 5 or 6, order plates to share and enjoy. Good stuff.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:02 pm

wingharts didnt work in oakland because that location sucks for any sort of business other than a crappy bar.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:06 am

I'm going to Kaya tonight. I've been there twice but only got the jerk pork quesadilla. What are some good things to try? Any special cocktails worth ordering?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:09 am

I'm going to Kaya tonight. I've been there twice but only got the jerk pork quesadilla. What are some good things to try? Any special cocktails worth ordering?
I like the tropical paella (has pineapple in it, trigger warning for @tifosi77), My wife loves the green curry with the shrimp. Their calamari used to come with a jicama slaw that was awesome, but they stopped serving that and just have the calamari now.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:08 pm

Your microaggression has been noted and reported, but since you are one of the dudes running the show here I doubt my complaints will find sympathetic ears. Grr.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:22 pm

I went to Fat Heads yesterday and finally got around to trying the Kim Jong Moo, a new [allegedly] spicy hamburger. One of the ingredients was kimche. I thought I knew what it was, which was a mix of asian veggies. What I didn't know is that they soak it rotten fish to make the sandwich taste like garbage.

I'll put this on me, since there was an asterix on the menu saying it was made with fish sauce. I just wanted a spicy sandwich, and it wasn't even that.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:46 pm

I went to Fat Heads yesterday and finally got around to trying the Kim Jong Moo, a new [allegedly] spicy hamburger. One of the ingredients was kimche. I thought I knew what it was, which was a mix of asian veggies. What I didn't know is that they soak it rotten fish to make the sandwich taste like garbage.

I'll put this on me, since there was an asterix on the menu saying it was made with fish sauce. I just wanted a spicy sandwich, and it wasn't even that.
I just had that burger a couple weeks ago and did not care for it.