Restaurant Recommendations

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:09 pm

I liked Talia but the resident Italian had a lesser experience there.

I didn't know there was a Valozzi's downtown; the one in Greensburg is good but kind of outkicks its coverage given it shares a lot with a gas station called Snookies.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Or, the Whale is not anywhere near worth the money. Mediocre.
This comment presents a good opportunity to ask an open ended question: At what point does downtown reach the point of oversaturation of pricey places to eat a "fancy" meal?

Revel and roost, pirata, poros, o the wahle, pork and beans, butcher and the rye meat and potatoes whatever the eff is in the Fairmont these, tako, social house seven, talia, valozzi, the two places in the union trust building, the new steakhouse in US Still tower, etc. are all new places that aren't cheap to dine at. how big is the market for $16 pork belly sammiches in Pittsburgh?
speaking of which, seviche closed
We ate at Seviche last year. I enjoyed it but it wasn't a place I would rush back to and I guess to many others felt the same way. I hadn't even heard most of the restaurants on your list but absolutely agree that Pittsburgh is being oversaturated with these types of restaurants.

I still love Meat and Potatoes. Wasn't a fan of Butcher and the Rye. Tako is overpriced, pretentious nonsense. I'm sure we'll try Pork and Beans at some point but how the hell is barbecue so expensive? Social House Seven was a complete salt bomb when we ate there. Or, the Whale looks overpriced. Haven't been to Revel and Roost but their website features a picture of a burger stuffed with multiple items on an oversized bun so I'm already annoyed, but the prices don't look too bad. The prices at Valozzi's seem like standard "look how Italian and fancy we are" prices. Pirata is annoying me on the same level as Tako. How the hell are you charging me Frontera Grill prices for Latin American food in Pittsburgh? $10 for ham croquettes? An order better come with a dozen of them. I'm intrigued by Poros and Talia though.

We ate at Café Delhi in Carnegie on Saturday. I'd say there's zero chance of finding better Indian food anywhere in the Pittsburgh area.
Seviche was there for 11 years, and looks the same today as it did when it opened. It was time to either remodel and revamp or cut loose. they went with the latter.

Taking each in turn:

M&P: good, worth the price generally
Butcher & the Rye: good, but prefer M&P
Social House: meh.
Revel and Roost: ok, fine for business lunch. Do the annoying deconstructed salad thing to an absurd degree.
Valozzi's: ok.
Pirata: surprisingly good.
Poros: garbage.
Talia: see dodint's post.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:58 pm

What would you say the atmosphere at Gaucho is like? Casual? Slightly above casual?

Planning on going out to dinner with a friend there. Never been, so not sure what to expect.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:01 pm

Casual.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Casual indeed. You're likely going to be part of a massive line of people trying to get through the door. Once you manage to get in the building there is a huge menu on the wall. Figure out what the hell you want, place the order and pay at the register, go find a seat, and then they'll bring your food to you. And enjoy because it's damn **** good.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:17 pm

Casual and bring a nice bottle of wine. Order the vegetables... they were my favorite thing.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:27 am

Anything worth eating for dinner in Warren/Youngstown, OH? Have to run up to Cleveland this evening and need to stop there on the way back.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:32 am

no

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:37 am

Damn.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:39 am

I ate at a Bob Evans there once. lol

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 am

I guess I can better rephrase the question this way: Is there anything worth eating between Warrensville Heights, OH and Beaver Falls? ;)

I still have to stop in Warren either way.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:50 pm

There was a restaurant called Boots in Beaver Falls that may or may not still exist. Served you beer out of a boot. Das Boot

Yeah, these are your choices.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:51 pm

There was a restaurant called Boots in Beaver Falls that may or may not still exist. Served you beer out of a boot. Das Boot

Was this one of those steakhouse joints where the waitresses line dance and you throw your peanut shells on the floor like a savage?

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:53 pm

You'll probably see a dead deer on the side of the road at some point.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:54 pm

I would think that you could get very good Eye-talian in Youngstown. It’s a mafia town.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Was this one of those steakhouse joints where the waitresses line dance and you throw your peanut shells on the floor like a savage?
yes, I believe it was

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:16 am

Maybe I'll have better luck on the other side.

Any decent places to eat, not too far from the turnpike, between Somerset and Breezewood? (No, not the service plaza.)

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 am

well considering that you limiting yourself to Bedford, Somerset, and Breezewood, your options are going to be limited to put it mildly.

I've eaten at the Bedford diner and it wasn't bad. Nothing mind blowing though. If you want an interesting place to eat, got o jean bonnet's tavern. a bit of a drive off the turnpike, but its a cool spot.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:31 am

I normally just stop at Sheetz when blowing through there so any actual restaurant is expanding my horizons.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:43 am

anywhere good to eat in canonsburg or little worshington

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:44 am

waffle house

LITT

Postby LITT » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:49 am

i love waffle house. mrs litt had a negative experience there once and is no longer an acceptable dining establishment for us

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:50 am

well considering that you limiting yourself to Bedford, Somerset, and Breezewood, your options are going to be limited to put it mildly.

I've eaten at the Bedford diner and it wasn't bad. Nothing mind blowing though. If you want an interesting place to eat, got o jean bonnet's tavern. a bit of a drive off the turnpike, but its a cool spot.
That tavern is only like a mile from the 146 exit. That's not bad at all. There is a place right on that same stretch called Horn O Plenty that looks interesting too. Thanks!

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:51 am

Same here, to a limited extent...I love waffle house but GF is not even willing to try it due to some misconceptions and hearsay about the grease level.

LITT

Postby LITT » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:53 am

women... you cant live with them and they cant pee standing up