The Grill Thread

willeyeam

The Grill Thread

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 12, 2016 8:30 pm

So as I'm getting ready for my house I'm looking into mansentials (I just thought of that but I'm gonna keep using it) like big TVs and grills. Anyone ever buy a Nexgrill? I'm shopping online and they have nice looking grills that if the model was a Weber it'd be double the price. Usually I'm skeptical of the cheaper options but most of the reviews are pretty good. But I figured I'd see, I feel like there are a few people around here who know their grilling. Going out on a limb but @eddysnake has to be one.

Also any other ideas are welcome. I already have my kegerator ready for the basement

Craig

The Grill Thread

Postby Craig » Thu May 12, 2016 8:38 pm

I have one step left on my fire pit. Next on the list after that is the grill...waiting till after the wedding hoping someone gives me a gift card somewhere i can get one. The grill is the last majorish item for the casa for a while.

So im definitely interested in the answer as well.

AuthorTony

The Grill Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Thu May 12, 2016 8:39 pm

I'm in the market too. I was actually looking at a Broil King model from Lowes because it's made in Canada and has stainless steel grates. I'll be following this thread, even though I don't have anything helpful to add. ;)

Viva la Ben

The Grill Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu May 12, 2016 8:51 pm

from my experience unless you buy a weber, your gas elements will rust out in 2-3 years

shafnutz05

The Grill Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:00 pm

Yeah, Weber is worth the extra money IMO. I got an El Cheapo grill at Lowe's and it was rusted to hell after roughly 3 years. And that was with a grill cover.

willeyeam

The Grill Thread

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 12, 2016 9:06 pm

Interesting. Makes sense, I bet none of the reviews on home depot's site are from years down the road.

shafnutz05

The Grill Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Interesting. Makes sense, I bet none of the reviews on home depot's site are from years down the road.
haha good point. "I'VE HAD IT A MONTH, COOKS GRATE, HAD SOME AWESOME BURGERS LAST NIGHT ON IT"

robbiestoupe

The Grill Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu May 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Yeah, Weber is worth the extra money IMO. I got an El Cheapo grill at Lowe's and it was rusted to hell after roughly 3 years. And that was with a grill cover.
Same except mine was from HD and it was a charcoal grill

Shyster

The Grill Thread

Postby Shyster » Thu May 12, 2016 9:43 pm

I've had a Huntington Rebel gas grill for maybe three or four years now. It's a brand from Onward Manufacturing Company, which also sells the higher-priced Broil King brand. I bought it through Cabela's. I've been pretty happy with it, and I would certainly look into another Onward product if I need a new grill. I was thinking of a Broil King before I bought the Huntington.

slappybrown

The Grill Thread

Postby slappybrown » Thu May 12, 2016 9:51 pm

I bought a 4 burner weber that I had a Nat gas line run to from the house in 2011. I leave it uncovered bc I'm an idiot at least 2-3 times a month exposing it to rain, and it has zero
Rust. I use it 3-4 times a week from late April to early October. It seems to be getting better with age. Highly recommend. Perhaps the best consumer product I've ever bought. I love that thing.

F propane tanks

shmenguin

The Grill Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 12, 2016 10:01 pm

My Weber arrived last Friday. My prior one was pretty cheap and is now totally decayed after only 2 years.

No messing around this time

shafnutz05

The Grill Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:26 pm

I leave it uncovered bc I'm an idiot at least 2-3 times a month exposing it to rains
lol same, also sometimes leave it uncovered on especially dewy nights during spring and fall.

tifosi77

The Grill Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:30 pm

I have a Landmann 591320 Smoky Mountain Bravo. Don't buy it, it's crap.

I have a Weber Kettle grill that reserved for pizza oven duties and flattop cooking (It has a baking steel). They aren't very good for grill roasting, as the domed cover reflects the radiant energy back into a tiny focal point about the size of a single hamburger in the center of the grill grate. They're good for direct heat grilling, tho.

MrKennethTKangaroo

The Grill Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu May 12, 2016 11:34 pm

I bought a 4 burner weber that I had a Nat gas line run to from the house in 2011. I leave it uncovered bc I'm an idiot at least 2-3 times a month exposing it to rain, and it has zero
Rust. I use it 3-4 times a week from late April to early October. It seems to be getting better with age. Highly recommend. Perhaps the best consumer product I've ever bought. I love that thing.

F propane tanks
How does one cook spaghetti and meatballs on a grill?

BigMck

The Grill Thread

Postby BigMck » Thu May 12, 2016 11:43 pm

Weber Genesis propane grill. Side burner, and a side pop-up table. 15 years old. Replaced the grates about 9 years ago with cast-iron. Replaced the ignition switch once. Cast iron wood chip holder (cigar box size) for a sniff of smoke. Propane gets hot quick and gives steady heat.

Char-Broil side grill with side woodbox. Used to smoke a turkey, chicken, salmon. Heat regulation is challenge. Rewards are grand. Use it as a grill to cook steaks, skewered chicken, fish, vegetables. Baked potatoes in foil.

UABS. I think that is the ugly assed barrel smoker. 55 gallon drum, upright, with a charcoal cage at the bottom, liquid bowl, then grates. Given as a gift, I still can not master a even heat to use.

Weber is worth the investment.

Welders gloves are worth the investment.

Silentom

The Grill Thread

Postby Silentom » Fri May 13, 2016 7:30 am

This is my new favorite thread. I don't even have a grill right now (looking) and have been cooking everything on a MLFRGM.

NTP66

The Grill Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:55 am

Gotta be honest, my dad's last two Weber grills (current one being a Genesis) left a lot to be desired, and turned me off them. The grates rusted within 3 years (you can bring them back to life, so this isn't a deal breaker), it tends to heat unevenly, and the cabinets on both never aligned properly. I just don't think they're worth the price anymore.

When I bought my house, I bought a Kenmore 4 burner with a searing burner, and haven't looked back. It has held up remarkably well, looks terrific, and if I ever need a part, I can get every single piece online; you can't say that for Weber. Regardless of which brand you go with, I am now an advocate of having a searing burner on the grill. Steak shouldn't be cooked on a grill otherwise.

eddy

The Grill Thread

Postby eddy » Fri May 13, 2016 8:16 am

I must echo the majority of the Weber statements in here, best I've used.

Up at our river house up north, I dug out and built a nice in ground brick fire pit. Throw up a tripod with a swinging grill/cast iron pot and it doesn't get much better than that!

dodint

The Grill Thread

Postby dodint » Fri May 13, 2016 8:31 am

Source of the post I had a Nat gas line run to from the house in 2011.
We're working on this too. The line comes right into the house under the deck, should be a slam dunk. Once we're done upgrading the kitchen stuff we'll upgrade the grill from propane to NG.

MrKennethTKangaroo

The Grill Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 13, 2016 8:37 am

Up at our river house up north, I dug out and built a nice in ground brick fire pit. Throw up a tripod with a swinging grill/cast iron pot and it doesn't get much better than that!
saw a gr8 recommendation for campfire desert yesterday.....waffle cones stuffed with chocolate chips, marshmallows, and peanut butter. wrap and foil and cook over fire. yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Miami Vice

The Grill Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Fri May 13, 2016 8:48 am

My mom bought my a rotisserie attachment for my grill that I tried out last Sunday.

The chicken I used was definitely too large - it took so much longer I gave up and stick it on a beer can mount and put it in the oven.

The prongs on the spit are held into place by thumbscrews and they kept coming loose too.

eddy

The Grill Thread

Postby eddy » Fri May 13, 2016 9:00 am

saw a gr8 recommendation for campfire desert yesterday.....waffle cones stuffed with chocolate chips, marshmallows, and peanut butter. wrap and foil and cook over fire. yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.
dang, I like where your head's at

AuthorTony

The Grill Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Fri May 13, 2016 9:20 am

I've been reading some not so good reviews on the "cheap" ($500) Webers. It seems like you need to go around $800 to get one that's really going to last and isn't made in China. Any idea if that's true? Because $500 is pretty much my limit when it comes to a grill.

Craig

The Grill Thread

Postby Craig » Fri May 13, 2016 9:29 am

I was just looking at that too.

slappybrown

The Grill Thread

Postby slappybrown » Fri May 13, 2016 9:30 am

Source of the post I had a Nat gas line run to from the house in 2011.
We're working on this too. The line comes right into the house under the deck, should be a slam dunk. Once we're done upgrading the kitchen stuff we'll upgrade the grill from propane to NG.
Its a no brainer IMO. Our line is the same way; runs under the deck, hole drilled through a single plank, connector there for the grill. Shouldn't cost you much at all.