Just Another Podcast Thread

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:08 am

I listened to the first season of "Against the Rules". I really enjoyed it. It focuses on the decline of the ref in american life. It starts discussing literal referees, but it then goes on to discuss referees in our everyday lives. People that are 3rd parties and are responsible for trying to make things fair.

The end of season 1 pretty much wrapped up with saying that Americans (by and far) do not care about fairness anymore... they care about getting the W.
Is this really an American thing? I have 3 kids, so play ref all the time. And all they care about is getting the W
They focus on American life... I'm sure it's different in different locations, but we're in America, so they focused on America. :lol:
Seasons 2-45 will cover China... should be a lot of material there in terms of fairness.

My guess is they will start with PUBG and video game cheating in general.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:32 pm

I stumbled upon a very interesting but niche podcast about actor/comedian Connor Ratliff who was originally cast for a minor role in Band of Brothers. He was in England, got the GI haircut and fitted for his costume, but was called in to re-audition with Tom Hanks at the last minute. The actor's agent called him later to say that Hanks (who was directing the episode) went with a different actor, saying that Tom said Connor had "Dead Eyes."

So this guy has been thinking about this since 2000, and decided a few years ago to launch a podcast exploring the whole casting process, as well as similarities with Hanks, and other Hollywood insidery details.

Well, Hanks actually went on the podcast this month to discuss the whole situation. I hadn't heard of this podcast until very recently, and haven't listened to the whole thing, but the last two episodes are great - and it answers why Hanks thought Ratliff had "dead eyes."

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:34 pm

I've been really digging going back through old episodes of Conan Needs a Friend. Newhart, Hanks, Weird Al, Bill Burr (often)...just intelligent and often hilarious conversations.

O'Brien thriving in this format is not surprising, he seems to be a genuinely nice guy. He is also a genius and I am honored to call him a Mensa brother.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 25, 2022 6:18 pm

Crime in Sports did Ed Belfour this week. *glug* *glug* *glug*

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:35 pm

Any Small Town Murder fans? It's the same folks that do Crime In Sports. It's a comedic take on true crime, their only rule is the don't make fun of victims.
I listened to the Ambridge episode, a roofer killed his foreman's whole family because the roofer was yelled at in front of a customer several months prior.
https://player.fm/series/small-town-mur ... nnsylvania

Speaking of Crime in Sports, on Thursday I listened to their three episode nine-hour look at Mike Tyson. That guy liked to punch people and grab some ass.

STM/CiS are funny, but have that 30 second skip button handy. Lots of ad reads and cross promotion chatter.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:00 pm

I listen to CIS on occasion for folks that interest me...their profound lack of knowledge about hockey, and most things, is almost farcical...I just feel like they never get to the point of anything, and it gets me a little agitated...but maybe if I listened to the guys for sports that they actually know a little bit about, it's a little bit easier of a listen...

Like, the Janikowski was decent...the Belfour one was a real chore because of their style...

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:05 pm

Any Small Town Murder fans? It's the same folks that do Crime In Sports. It's a comedic take on true crime, their only rule is the don't make fun of victims.
I listened to the Ambridge episode, a roofer killed his foreman's whole family because the roofer was yelled at in front of a customer several months prior.
https://player.fm/series/small-town-mur ... nnsylvania

Speaking of Crime in Sports, on Thursday I listened to their three episode nine-hour look at Mike Tyson. That guy liked to punch people and grab some ass.

STM/CiS are funny, but have that 30 second skip button handy. Lots of ad reads and cross promotion chatter.
I like CiS for the athletes I've heard of. I listened to the Tyson ones on a trip to Florida and thought it was great. I haven't tried Small Town Murder yet, but want to. Like mikey said, sometimes their lack of knowledge gets in the way... I thought it was funny at first that they didn't know how to pronounce Vezina and changed it to vagina, but then they kept going back to the well over and over.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:47 pm

Like actually 100 times went back to that well...that was painful.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:24 pm

Belfour was weak, yeah. But they admit it up front. At least the Bobby Hull one was more content heavy. Hearing them try to explain the levels of development hockey was amusing.

The T.Suggs episode was great, they were in their element and knew a lot of the back story because of Jimmy being from Phoenix.

James reminds me of Jim Florentine.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:09 pm

That’s who I picture when he talks.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:13 pm

MWB, did you ever get into Small Town Murder? I'm hooked on it and it's basically one of only two podcasts I listen to anymore. I went back and started at the beginning before the run time swelled up so much. It's formulaic but I laugh out loud a few times each episode.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:58 am

Serial Season 1 update.

Baltimore state’s attorney has announced new evidence has been found in the murder case of Hae Min Lee. This may lead to a new trial.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/adnan-syed ... ir0epa9mz4

My take is that Adnan killed her BUT I don’t think the evidence was enough to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:52 pm

Woah.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:01 pm

There must be some REALLY strong exculpatory evidence.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:23 pm

MWB, did you ever get into Small Town Murder? I'm hooked on it and it's basically one of only two podcasts I listen to anymore. I went back and started at the beginning before the run time swelled up so much. It's formulaic but I laugh out loud a few times each episode.
A month later, no, lol. Being back to work has dwindled the podcast time, but still plan on checking it out.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:25 pm

I need to lay off it, **** gets dark sometimes. :lol:

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:22 am

I just listened to the most recent one, on a Tillamook murderer (partly because of the Tillamook talk on TKs show). It’s really good.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:24 am

I saw that on the episode list and laughed at the TK coincidence. :lol:

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:52 am

Those that like the Hidden Brain episodes on NPR may enjoy the Inner Cosmos podcast with David Eagleman. Really interesting stuff about the brain in there.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:44 pm

Anybody have good science podcasts they would recommend?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:14 pm

I like science vs. it’s not really a science, science podcast but it’s good.

Science Friday is the goat.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:02 am

Google is doing Google things and nuking Google Podcasts soon. Our podcast subs and history will "flawlessly" move over to YouTube Music. I don't use YT Music, as I switched over to Apple Music shortly before Google Googled Google Play Music. At first I thought it was fine, whatever. But I opened up YT Music only to be greeted by a nag screen to subscribe or try free for a week. Just like YouTube does. That's really annoying and probably will head elsewhere. Spotify? Or is there another free podcast app out there I should be using (on Android)?

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:36 am

I'm already fully embedded in the YTTV/YTM/YT eco system so I don't mind them folding Podcasts into YTM. It is kind of a shame because it took them years to get it right and I doubt the UI will "flawlessly" migrate over.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:16 pm

Any Small Town Murder fans?
I'm in my 330th episode, so I'm only one year behind now. That's over 16 months so an episode every day and a half or so. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I get caught up as it's kind of been a constant companion during this time.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:18 pm

I'm on episode 90 at the moment. I go a few weeks without and then hop back in.