Just Another Podcast Thread

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:43 pm

Are you talking about "Garbage in, garbage out"? Because if your take away from that was "both sides..." I don't know what to tell ya.

He says the left needs to stop giving the right bulletin board material, which is 100% true, but beyond that there was only one side that he said was living in an alternative reality.
that one. that's right. turned it off after his 2nd "both sides" plea which came like 15 minutes in. so if he walked it back later, that's good, but i quit before that happened.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:04 pm

Reddit says supernova part 6 has dropped! Almost 6 hours

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:27 am

Yesssssss. I've been waiting for this for months. Thank you.

bhflyhigh

Postby bhflyhigh » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:59 am

Yesssssss. I've been waiting for this for months. Thank you.
Me too! I'm about an hour into it. Dan takes forever but he is so good at his craft.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:10 pm

Does anyone listen to the Crime in Sports podcast? Two comedians retelling stories of crimes committed by professional athletes. Sounds promising.
Crime in Sports ended up being a road trip savior. It's now one of my wife's favorite podcasts. So far we've listened to:

Kevin Stevens
OJ Simpson
Tonya Harding
Some MMA fighter I'd never heard of (wife chose that one).
Charles Barkley
Scotty Pippen

If you ffwd through the first 5 minutes (intro/promos) and the last 10 minutes (contributor roll call) you can get these down to about 2 hours.

Like mikey said, they're not very polished but I legit lol a few times an episode, and also find the content pretty entertaining.

I was listening to a regular podcast that mentioned that Barkley's daughter is getting married this summer. Thanks to Crime in Sports, my first thought was "I wonder if it's the one that pissed in that hotel lobby." :lol:

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:55 pm

@AuthorTony Not sure if you are a podcast listener, but your penchant for horror made me think of you when I stumbled onto this: https://www.oldgodsofappalachia.com/about

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:46 pm

Small world. I just started listening to that a couple nights ago. Just a few episodes in, but it's really good. Thanks for thinking of me!

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:51 pm

the new iOS podcast app is so bad I’m going to delete it and download a third party app

what the **** were they thinking

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:17 am

Small world. I just started listening to that a couple nights ago. Just a few episodes in, but it's really good. Thanks for thinking of me!
:fist:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:25 pm

Supernova in the East Part VI is fantastic, but man, the first hand accounts of Japanese atrocities are utterly horrific. I cannot imagine.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:15 pm

Dale, Jr.'s podcast is fantastic.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:55 pm

A while back, Dan Carlin chatted with Tom Hanks about his Greyhound movie. Great listen. Would love to have some beers and chat with Hanx about history and whatever.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5VEnrN ... l_branch=1

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:07 pm

A while back, Dan Carlin chatted with Tom Hanks about his Greyhound movie. Great listen. Would love to have some beers and chat with Hanx about history and whatever.

I'm actually reading the book is based on right now. It's really good, but very much a thought by thought analysis of Hanks actions during a three day period. Sounds tedious, but it's not. I'll give this one a listen after I'm done with the book.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:31 pm

Recently started listening to people I mostly admire. It’s the dude who wrote freakonomics. He just interviews really interesting people about their work. It’s been great so far.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:34 pm

I almost responded yesterday that I'm surprised we haven't had an addendum episode in a while. Seems like one dropped today

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:49 pm

I decided to listen to a podcast I haven't heard in a while. In that time it was acquired by iheartradio, which means it's effectively a commercial radio program now. It went from one sponsor break in the middle, to having one at the beginning, the end, and 2-3 throughout the show.

It's like iheartradio bought all those traditional commercial radio stations, lost a bunch of money, then said "How can we ruin another medium in the same way?" and are trying to kill podcasting.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:57 pm

I decided to listen to a podcast I haven't heard in a while. In that time it was acquired by iheartradio, which means it's effectively a commercial radio program now. It went from one sponsor break in the middle, to having one at the beginning, the end, and 2-3 throughout the show.

It's like iheartradio bought all those traditional commercial radio stations, lost a bunch of money, then said "How can we ruin another medium in the same way?" and are trying to kill podcasting.
podcast commercials are annoying, but the 30s fast forward button is the saving grace

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:00 pm

I don't mind supporting the medium so I generally will listen to a new ad on a given podcast the first one or two times. And sometimes I do buy the products and use the code. But if there are 4-5 commercial breaks in a less than 30 minute show I'm going to go ahead and wear out that 30s skip.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:04 pm

I am not sure listening to the ad does anything, but buying the product definitely does. They usually have some promotion code to let them know if their ad is working

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:15 pm

I enjoyed the BBC's The Lazurus Heist, about the North Korean hacking group with the same name. Behind the Sony hack, Bangladeshi National Bank heist, and others. If you find North Korea fascinating, then it's a good one. New episodes coming later this year fwiw.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:16 pm

Yeah, as far as I know there is no way for them to know if you actually listen to the ad so don't feel bad about skipping it. Podcasts will die when unskippable ads are introduced.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:24 pm

But if there are 4-5 commercial breaks in a less than 30 minute show I'm going to go ahead and wear out that 30s skip.
Oof, that's rough. I get 2-3 ads in the 90 minute show I'm listening to, so not that bad.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:08 am

Supernova in the East Part VI is fantastic, but man, the first hand accounts of Japanese atrocities are utterly horrific. I cannot imagine.
I just started part 1. I can’t even imagine when I’ll get to 6. But it’s worth the time. The WWI series shook up my entire notion of European history and how it has to get distilled down to complete mud when they teach it in grade school.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:35 am

I just started part 1. I can’t even imagine when I’ll get to 6. But it’s worth the time. The WWI series shook up my entire notion of European history and how it has to get distilled down to complete mud when they teach it in grade school.
I took 20th century history 101 and 102 and almost the entirety of 101 took place in the late 19th century. There's so much **** to understand about nationalism, languages, Industrialism, etc to even begin to understand WWI.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:36 am

Nice. I just finished The Guns of August which follows all the political decision makers and generals in the first month of ww1. Really illuminates the complexities, the blunders, the personalities, the luck, and how mundane, stupid and human the decision making could be. The author also really cracked me up at how ruthless she was on some entitled generals.