Just Another Podcast Thread

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:01 pm

I enjoyed the Washington Post's 10 part series on the Burns/Novick Vietnam War documentary, even if the narrator's voice was a bit Millennial-ish. :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:02 am

Well I made my way through the entire Criminal archives. Really great show and I was shocked that the earliest episodes had the exact same quality production as the newer ones. Often early episodes of a series are tough to listen to because of poor audio quality or no production value but this show hit the ground running.

Needing a new show, I'm now listening to Dirty John. I have no idea where it's heading but after an episode and a half, I'm hooked. The narrator (LA Times reporter Christopher Goffard) is clearly a Raymond Chandler fan as his descriptions of people/scenes could easily be in The Big Sleep or Farewell My Lovely.

Off topic from that, I'm currently in the process of editing a new podcast series at my job. It's my first time and I severely underestimated the amount of work that goes into editing these. My respect level went way up for those high production value podcasts like Criminal or TAL.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Finished up Dirty John. Great/quick listen. Definitely recommend it if you're looking for yet another serialized podcast.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 am

Last Podcast on the Left and Wizard and the Bruiser are okayish

They clearly do a lot of research but there isn't any semblance of organization. They're annoying to listen to due to the constant "jokes" being thrown in.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:32 am

Heaven's Gate was pretty good even if the host had a bit of the flair for the dramatic.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:33 am

Last Podcast on the Left is really uneven. I'm ok with the jokes since the one guy who makes almost all of them is legit hilarious. The main host with the radio voice just isn't funny at all. And the subject matter is hit and miss. The serial killer series' are great. I don't have much interest in anything else.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:08 am

martyrmade

I've listened to most hardcore history episodes three times and he just uploaded a new one a few days ago, but I'm so caught up in martyrmade I haven't downloaded it yet.

so finally found that legit, imo, hardcore history comp.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:04 am

Heaven's Gate was pretty good even if the host had a bit of the flair for the dramatic.
Yeah that one was okay. All of them leave me going "that's it?" When they end. I feel like what they cover could legit be done in 15 mins.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:08 am

Yeah that one was okay. All of them leave me going "that's it?" When they end. I feel like what they cover could legit be done in 15 mins.
Agreed. There were at least two filler episodes in that series that had no place being there - the interview with the host about his own weird ass cult experience and the audience responses.

Not podcast related, but Waco: Messiah or Madman? on A&E was great and only a 2-parter. It was the appropriate length.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:08 pm

Last Podcast on the Left is really uneven. I'm ok with the jokes since the one guy who makes almost all of them is legit hilarious. The main host with the radio voice just isn't funny at all. And the subject matter is hit and miss. The serial killer series' are great. I don't have much interest in anything else.
I love LPOTL - but agree with this. Ben Kissel is on Fox News all the time to discuss politics. I much prefer the serial killers and cult discussions. I greatly enjoyed the Scientology episodes.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:53 am

How Did This Get Made is back to discussing movies people have actually seen.

Ladybugs is going down right now.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:55 am

Is it still paywalled?

Oh. Patton Oswalt. Yeah, no thanks.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:52 pm

Paywalled? HDTGM was never paywalled as far as I knew.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:55 pm

They pulled their archives into a paywall a year ago or so. They have the last 20-30 eps up for free and roll the older ones into the paywall over time as new eps come out.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:56 pm

It switched in early 2017. They made it so if you wanted anything older than 5 episodes you had to pay, and they started doing exclusive paid content. No idea how it turned out since I dumped them. It wasn't their call, it was Earwolf, but the end result is the same.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:00 pm

I just checked, they have eps 157-183 in the feed available for download. 157 was the first ep after the paywall announcement, so they haven't moved anything into a paywall after the first sweep (yet).

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:05 pm

They pulled their archives into a paywall a year ago or so. They have the last 20-30 eps up for free and roll the older ones into the paywall over time as new eps come out.
For free entertainment, that seems completely reasonable. What's the issue?

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:08 pm

I dont have an issue with it beyond I would rather it all be free because its a good show and I like free things. I still listen to it. You would have to ask dodint why he dumped them altogether over it.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:12 pm

For them, it should be free because most episodes from the last few years blow. The archives might be helpful to convince new listeners that this isn’t a bad podcast. And they will proceed to use squarespace to send stampdotcoms to lisamatresses.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:16 pm

I still listen to Adam Carolla most days, likewise Adam and Dr. Drew.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:16 pm

If the previous 20-30 episodes are free, they've already done more than enough. I want podcasts to continue being free, so creators and "networks" need to find a way to make money while still being able to keep new episodes free. WTF also went to a paid archive. Many podcasts have patreons where paid subscriptions get you bonus episodes. I don't even mind the commercials (that are easily skippable).

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Yea, I didn't even know that was a thing because I listen to them infrequently. If I do listen though it's the most recent episode and only for a movie I've seen or know of.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:33 pm

earwolf has been paywalling their podcast archives for years now. this is not news.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:33 pm

For them, it should be free because most episodes from the last few years blow. The archives might be helpful to convince new listeners that this isn’t a bad podcast. And they will proceed to use squarespace to send stampdotcoms to lisamatresses.
Yes. The premise of HDTGM lends itself to browsing the archives more than most podcasts. Mainly because I've seen about, maybe, 15% of the movies they covered. When I found it in 2016 I went through and downloaded the ones I've seen and had a listen and enjoyed most of them, though I'm not a fan of the Live episodes, I just prefer the more polished studio production. Once I worked through the back catalog and started seeing what they were putting out week to week I realized that they don't cover movies I've seen for the most part, and the 'prequel' episodes are boring. And at the time they were promising extra exclusive episodes for paid subscribers which sent a signal to me that they were withholding their best content because the stuff they were releasing for unpaid subscribers wasn't very good.

And, as for 'free', it's really not. Unless they've switched to a model where they're not doing live reads and commercials anymore. Like Hulu, I don't appreciate paying $$$ for content and then being subjected to additional ads. Especially if the pay model is retroactive.

But, back to HDTGM. I left them because most of their content was boring and they were begging me to pay for it. It was an apathetic drop, not a '**** these guys' kind of thing, I love Jason and Paul in other projects.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:34 pm

Interestingly enough, I like the live episodes of HDTGM way better.