Just Another Podcast Thread

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:55 am

I'm only four behind now. Looking forward to getting past the Patriots talk.

The Paul Bissonnette episode had me rolling, his stories about playing in Wales and stuff. :lol:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:16 am

Yea today was the first listen, I downloaded that one and the Colby one. Will give a listen.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:33 pm

Both the Biznasty and Colby episodes were great.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:22 am

Anyone use an Android podcast app that syncs across multiple devices?

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:56 am

I'm late to the game.

Serial and undisclosed. Uhm, I was so sure Adnan did it until the last episode of Serial and now I'm mostly positive it was a 3rd party.
Either way Im way too unapologetically obsessed.

Also Alice isn't Dead and The Black Tapes
Chat With Traders
The Mortified Podcast - I almost fell off the treadmill I was laughing so hard
Criminal

I guess I really like things that are either dark or suspenseful. ..and money.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:20 am

I'm late to the game.

Serial and undisclosed. Uhm, I was so sure Adnan did it until the last episode of Serial and now I'm mostly positive it was a 3rd party.

Chat With Traders
Criminal

Adnan did it. It's either that or a random 3rd party that only killed once and never again.

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:06 pm

I'm late to the game.

Chat With Traders
Criminal

Adnan did it. It's either that or a random 3rd party that only killed once and never again.
Did you listen to all of Undisclosed? I have not listened to all of it.

How do you explain multiple people seeing him during the time of the murder at the library?

And do you have opinions (this does not mean he didn't do it. I've just been thinking about it!) on the fact that the officers added a year to his age so he was eligible for the death penalty and the judge ended up seeing paperwork that said Adnan was eligible for the death penalty based on the crime and his age but did not specify his age?

I can't really say how one should act when someone close to them dies so I don't really take any of that stuff into consideration unless it's blatant like smiling.

What about the cops arresting him first and then asking questions to potential witnesses?

What about some of the cops on this case being the same people on another case in which evidence of tampering by police was found?

What about the people who listen to it that are lawyers, detectives, cops etc. who day that in their experience Adnan exhibits the signs of someone who is innocent?

What doesn't make sense is Jay.
I feel like he and that non girlfriend of his killed her or helped someone do it like creepy Don. Wasn't he like 20 and he went on a double date where the other guy on the date was like 14? And he kept dating her even though that's the age group she hangs out with?

I think I'm on around episode 5 or 6 of undisclosed so idk much yet. Every episode is like a bomb (of course).

It's interesting. At this point and maybe what always gripped me was not whether Adnan did it or not. I don't even really care that much. I mean if he didn't do it he should be set free and if he did that's the end of that.

Hae is dead. I want to know what happened to her. She sounded awesome and I get sad thinking she hasn't read all the Harry Potters or lived in California like she wanted to. Or anything else she wanted to do really.
Last edited by Reveutopique on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:08 pm

Undisclosed is HEAVILY slanted towards him. For me it really comes back to something as simple as Occam's Razor. It's either him or the most unlikely scenario.

As far as people seeing him. Eye witness testimony is some of if not the most unreliable testimony. Especially when taken so long after the fact.

He killed her, there's not some killer out there that killed once and never again. It's fun to engage in conspiracy theories but reality just doesn't match that.

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 am

Undisclosed is HEAVILY slanted towards him. For me it really comes back to something as simple as Occam's Razor. It's either him or the most unlikely scenario.

As far as people seeing him. Eye witness testimony is some of if not the most unreliable testimony. Especially when taken so long after the fact.

He killed her, there's not some killer out there that killed once and never again. It's fun to engage in conspiracy theories but reality just doesn't match that.

Imo, Occam's Razor would lead us to Jay.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:52 am

Anyone going to try S-town? Heard a promo for it today; they sold it as being like the original Serial, distancing itself from that abortion of a sequel they made. They are going to drop all 7 episodes at once, the 28th I think.

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:24 am

Anyone going to try S-town? Heard a promo for it today; they sold it as being like the original Serial, distancing itself from that abortion of a sequel they made. They are going to drop all 7 episodes at once, the 28th I think.
I've been seeing it on the Serial reddit forums. I will probably get around to it after im done obsessing about Serial!

I think it's weird that they started off the podcast with such high stakes, a murder. And the season after is about someone walking off their base and the repercussions that followed.

According to what we know Hae didn't do anything or wasn't involved in any high risk behavior other than what her demographic already exposes themselves to except maybe dating Don.
She was in a magnet program, was extremely responsible. Not sure if she smoked or drank but she was very social.

Bergdahl chose to make extremely high risk unnecessary decisions. Though, I guess, in a way the podcast suggests why.

With season 1, I just want to know who and why.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:30 am

That sounds intriguing. I loved the first season, and got about a half hour into the second season and tuned out. Sorry, I don't give a sht about Bergdahl.

I am listening to the HH episode "America in Peril". It's great so far, chronicling the oft-forgotten period of time around the turn of the 20th century and the Spanish-American War. It begins with the "crisis" America faced when manifest destiny was ultimately fulfilled, and the desire to turn to expansion elsewhere.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:39 am

After 10 episodes of Serial #1: head spinning, need more info
After 2 episodes of season 2: what a dumbass, case closed

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Jay has zero motivation. It's the jilted lover overcome by teenage hormones that makes the worst decision possible.

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:22 pm

Jay has zero motivation. It's the jilted lover overcome by teenage hormones that makes the worst decision possible.
Idk. Usually people obsessed don't date other people. He did what everyone does in his demographic, "hook up" with other people and get over it. He could have killed her the night he drove her home and met her new boyfriend. He didn't. Maybe it's bc he knew he would be caught but then again, going by Jay's 3+ renditions of that day Adnan would have to be a complete idiot to do what Jay is claiming he did.
He never exhibited signs of obsession or jilted lover behavior. I think in the first couple of episodes the best friend of Hae said he annoyed her by trying to hang out but in Hae's journal she gets annoyed that she's waiting for him to call and he hasn't.

It just doesn't fit into the jilted lover scenario.

Jay does have a reason. I think he's a psycho. He dated Stephanie, the Prom princess who dated Adnan for a while way before she dated Jay. Her family liked Adnan and did not like Jay. I think he wanted Adnan to suffer and out of the picture.

But then again both could be in on it. I just don't have enough facts to make an intelligent theory. I'm just speculating and it's going no where. So frustrating. Sigh...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:05 am

http://www.vox.com/culture/2017/3/30/15 ... st-privacy

This looks fascinating.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:10 am

Yeah, I'm going to listen to the whole thing on my drive home from St. Paul to Pitt next weekend. It completely wrecked a friend of mine, looking forward to it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:59 am

http://www.vox.com/culture/2017/3/30/15 ... st-privacy

This looks fascinating.
Oh, nice. I was planning on ignoring it since season 2 was such a disaster but I'll check it out now. As soon as I can pull myself away from Something to Wrestle With.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:17 pm

Yeah, I'm going to listen to the whole thing on my drive home from St. Paul to Pitt next weekend. It completely wrecked a friend of mine, looking forward to it.
Look. I enjoy being 'that guy' and often play it up a little. But...S-town:
Bad.

It was billed as a kind of new Making a Murderer, a look at a small corrupt town hidden from our modern world.

It wasn't, that theme dies around Chapter 2. Some stuff, like the rapey cop, never gets mentioned again.

This story was very forced, it had an idea and then when the subject of it all died they just did 5 hours of meandering filler.

Bottom line this series was a weird love letter from the presenter to a destructive selfish lunatic that wrecked the lives of many of the people that bothered to try and now him.

Serial was a lark that can't be topped, I guess.
tl;dr: This is a 7 hour long 'This American Life' episode that could have been presented in an hour without losing anything.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:41 pm

Bad.

It was billed as a kind of new Making a Murderer, a look at a small corrupt town hidden from our modern world.

It wasn't, that theme dies around Chapter 2. Some stuff, like the rapey cop, never gets mentioned again.

This story was very forced, it had an idea and then when the subject of it all died they just did 5 hours of meandering filler.

Bottom line this series was a weird love letter from the presenter to a destructive selfish lunatic that wrecked the lives of many of the people that bothered to try and now him.

muchas gracias :thumb:

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:44 pm

It's an interesting profile, but you could pick the three best episodes and experience all of it. Chapter 6, I think, the hour long episode with the friend/lover was an incredible slog. Had less content than a Morgan episode of The Walking Dead.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:08 am

I've only listened to the first three episodes, but I really enjoy it. It hasn't so much been the story, but the people. I've found the people and their interactions very interesting.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:27 am

I would be interested to hear your opinion when you finish. Hope you like it, just curious if the pacing feels the same for you as it did me.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Look. I enjoy being 'that guy' and often play it up a little. But...S-town:
Bad.

tl;dr: This is a 7 hour long 'This American Life' episode that could have been presented in an hour without losing anything.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but I really enjoyed it. If the expectation was that it would be Serial v2.0, you'll be disappointed. However, as a character study, it was fascinating.
All the aspects of the "murder," the cop misconduct, the missing gold, and the small town corruption were left incomplete, but were all essential to finding out about John and the other people in the show. I found him extremely interesting, and the relationships he had were intriguing. Was he just a selfish prick who used everyone? Maybe. But it is indisputable that he did have a positive influence at times on many in his life.

Bottom line: I would've liked to know more about what happened with Tyler and Rita and how that was resolved, as well as why people weren't contacted sooner about his death. So that left me a little empty. But the character aspect was incredibly interesting.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:09 am

I agree, but that's not how they sold it so my expectations were out of alignment from the start.