Just Another Podcast Thread

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:02 am

Oh yeah, it's terrible listening to ripped audiobooks on a music player.

I "ripped" The Pacific years ago, and listened to it on my Zune (lollll). It was in an audiobook folder in my Docs folder that somehow got uploaded to my Google Play library when I started using that. The matching system was really bad back then, so it gave the book chapters song names...and scattered them throughout my entire library. Up until a couple of years ago, I would randomly hear a chapter of The Pacific while shuffling all of my music. :lol: I finally deleted the last of it a while ago; Google Play's matching system caught up to the rest.

Plus, I don't like how you can't separate podcasts from music queues. So, if I'm listening to a podcast and want to listen to music, it doesn't always keep your place (especially if you are near the end of a podcast). Very frustrating.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:30 am

Our rural-ass library has audiobooks - usable through Audible - that makes much more sense. Only issue is selection, as outside of best sellers and Nicholas Sparks/Dorothea Benton Frank/sappy Hallmark movie type books, there isn't much I like to read. But we did Harry Potter for a long road trip to Orlando a couple of years ago, which was great.
Harry Potter is actually why I looked into Audible. Fiancé has been on me to read the books and I figured I spend an hour and a half commuting every day so I could put a pause on the podcasts for a bit. I looked into the library and there was a 6 week waiting list for each audio book. Then I saw that Carnegie Library has an app where they claim you can stream. But even streaming has waiting lists for some reason. So finally, I pirated it because it's too **** hard to do it legitimately. I take a screenshot after each commute so I don't lose my place. It's very annoying.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:33 am

@Malkinismyhomeboy

Just listened to Friday's show. I'm both surprised and relieved to hear that Chatter is dead, at least as a podcasting studio. Although I liked the concept, their execution of the idea was poor. Listening to a professional podcast being conducted while hearing plates clatter and crash in background and at least one crying baby per episode was really off-putting.

It's strange for me. I had dinner there but never got a chance to see the podcast. So now that it's no longer part of the show it kind of feels like I just ate at a random restaurant in a mediocre part of DC. :lol:
lol, I’m halfway through fridays episode. Haven’t gotten to that part yet

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:48 am

Gah, sorry for the spoiler. I figured you're a bigger fan than me even and would've been all over it by now. I thought I was late to the party.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:52 am

haha it’s fine. I only listen to podcasts while driving and I haven’t driven a ton since friday

I’m interested in how TK explains this

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:11 pm

I thought chatter was fine as a podcast venue, but don’t really care that it won’t be there anymore. Doesn’t really have much affect on the show unless something like painting the mural comes up.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:13 pm

I really didn't like the dishes clanking around. It was cool having the 'audience' there for them to banter with at times, during mailbag and stuff. Crying children absolutely triggered me though, that sound and kicking a dog might be the two sounds I want to hear the least when I'm trying to relax.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:45 pm

got around to that part. Such an unceremonious end. They kind of rushed past it, without any particular explanation

I guess they're hemorrhaging money out of Chatter.

like MWB says it doesn't really affect me, though I do regret deciding to sleep in instead of attending the podcast recording when I was in DC

oh and I agree the dish clanking was annoying

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:50 pm

i don't understand how you can own a restaurant of that size as a 4-person partnership and expect any kind of return from it. They must have been doing it as a hobby.

I hope the renovations are for the exterior of the building. It's so set back from the street that you'd hardly notice it was there even if you're looking for it. I literally walked past it the first time I was there and had to go back to get inside.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:32 pm

I’m wondering what they’re going to do with the side podcasts they did there. I wish I’d had the chance to go see one there. It seems like it would’ve been an intimate setting, and TK actually seems to appreciate the people who go observe.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:25 pm

Source of the post Harry Potter is actually why I looked into Audible. Fiancé has been on me to read the books and I figured I spend an hour and a half commuting every day so I could put a pause on the podcasts for a bit. I looked into the library and there was a 6 week waiting list for each audio book. Then I saw that Carnegie Library has an app where they claim you can stream. But even streaming has waiting lists for some reason. So finally, I pirated it because it's too **** hard to do it legitimately. I take a screenshot after each commute so I don't lose my place. It's very annoying.
This is the one thing that irks me regarding OverDrive. Most books, even books like Harry Potter that have been out for years, have such long waiting lists. And you can only take them out for 3 weeks. If it's a long book, I have to put the player at 1.5x to get through it.

Renting physical media at the library, you could renew up to 2 times, for a total of 9 weeks. It was the only way I got through Song of Ice and Fire.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Anyone listen to the Pittsburgh Oddcast? It's pretty interesting. Love hearing about the history of Pgh, both normal and strange.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:39 am

Finished up Serial season 3. Fantastic stuff. I read enough to know skipping season 2 was a good idea.

Just listened to the first episode of S-town... This John guy sounds like an interesting fella down in Alabama, but I'm not sure this is actually going anywhere. We'll see.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:41 am

Finished up Serial season 3. Fantastic stuff. I read enough to know skipping season 2 was a good idea.

Just listened to the first episode of S-town... This John guy sounds like an interesting fella down in Alabama, but I'm not sure this is actually going anywhere. We'll see.
It does not.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:43 am

Also, quoting my original review:
Yeah, I'm going to listen to the whole thing on my drive home from St. Paul to Pitt next weekend. It completely wrecked a friend of mine, looking forward to it.
Look. I enjoy being 'that guy' and often play it up a little. But...S-town:
Bad.

It was billed as a kind of new Making a Murderer, a look at a small corrupt town hidden from our modern world.

It wasn't, that theme dies around Chapter 2. Some stuff, like the rapey cop, never gets mentioned again.

This story was very forced, it had an idea and then when the subject of it all died they just did 5 hours of meandering filler.

Bottom line this series was a weird love letter from the presenter to a destructive selfish lunatic that wrecked the lives of many of the people that bothered to try and now him.

Serial was a lark that can't be topped, I guess.
tl;dr: This is a 7 hour long 'This American Life' episode that could have been presented in an hour without losing anything.
But, MWB liked it...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:53 am

That's disappointing... I'll still listen and find out for myself.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:59 am

I recommend listening to it on 1.5x speed.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 am

Also, quoting my original review:
Yeah, I'm going to listen to the whole thing on my drive home from St. Paul to Pitt next weekend. It completely wrecked a friend of mine, looking forward to it.
Look. I enjoy being 'that guy' and often play it up a little. But...S-town:
Bad.

It was billed as a kind of new Making a Murderer, a look at a small corrupt town hidden from our modern world.

It wasn't, that theme dies around Chapter 2. Some stuff, like the rapey cop, never gets mentioned again.

This story was very forced, it had an idea and then when the subject of it all died they just did 5 hours of meandering filler.

Bottom line this series was a weird love letter from the presenter to a destructive selfish lunatic that wrecked the lives of many of the people that bothered to try and now him.

Serial was a lark that can't be topped, I guess.
tl;dr: This is a 7 hour long 'This American Life' episode that could have been presented in an hour without losing anything.
But, MWB liked it...
Ha, was just about to post. Yeah, thought it was interesting, but understand your review.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:47 am

Just got excited about season three of serial and downloaded it... and realized I’ve already listened to it.

Anyone have good recommendations for something in that vein? I have 34 hours of driving coming up and need something.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:17 pm

Got halfway through episode 2 on my lunch break of S-town...
The murder never happened. Case closed. Wtf are the next 5 episodes about???

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:20 pm

:lol:

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Alright... finished S-town.
WTF was that?

John B is an interesting fella. I'll give the podcast that much, but jfc...

There was a murder that they want me to solve!

I solved it, no murder happened....

John B. had a sh*tton of gold, THE TREASURE HUNT IS ON!

We didn't find any treasure... he was probably poor.

There's corruption in this town, and it took John B.'s death to uncover it!

Turns out John B. was likely a loon and had mercury poisoning. End of series.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:31 pm

I recommend listening to it on 1.5x speed.
and then switch to 1x speed 30 minutes in to make it seem like everyone is on heroin

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:34 pm

I’m here to recommend The Fighter Pilot podcast.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:34 pm

A++ to c2i's spoilered post. Would read again.