Just Another Podcast Thread

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:11 pm

Had this at the other place, but wanted to update it. Original post was:
I'm curious to know what you folks enjoy when it comes to podcasts. I have a couple of wicked long car rides coming up and I don't think my current compliment of two podcasts is going to cut it this time. I'm interested to know about whatever you're listening to, but if you'd like to make a direct recommendation my biggest interests are Comedy, History (American Revolutionary War and other periods), Pens, Formula 1 and IMSA, Practical Finance, Books/writing, etc. There is a lot of white noise out there and it's tough to find good stuff sometimes.

I'm listening with BeyondPod on my Android Note 3.

Currently:
Nerdist: http://www.nerdist.com/podcast_channel/ ... t-channel/
Freakonomics Radio: http://freakonomics.com/radio/freakonom ... t-archive/

Past:
The Artie Lange Show
Comedian Bob Marley (defunct)
WDVE Comedy Cuts (defunct)

What's good?
I'm still using BeyondPod but I haven't accepted the last update. A friend of mine says it's great, tif says it's awful. Tif knows all, so I'm going to keep blocking it.

My list has grown a good bit, too. Right now it's:

Currently:
Nerdist: http://www.nerdist.com/podcast_channel/ ... t-channel/
Freakonomics Radio: http://freakonomics.com/radio/freakonom ... t-archive/
This American Life: Background drivel, I'm way behind but I put it on when I need background noise. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/podcast
Stuff You Missed in History Class: Excellent premise but has a severe women's history slant to it. http://www.missedinhistory.com/podcasts/
The Tony Kornheiser Show: Unlistenable right now. Might shelve it until NFL training camp. http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/wtem/rss/580.rss
NPR Car Talk Archive: I listen to this when I fall asleep on Sunday nights. The only show I podcast that I used to listen to on the radio. http://www.npr.org/podcasts/510208/car-talk
Security Now: InfoSec podcast hosted by Steve Gibson. Fairly comprehensive if you can handle Steves delivery. https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm
Sawbones - A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine: Really humorous and compelling podcast about the history of medicine and defunct treatments. http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/sawbones

Past:
The Artie Lange Show
Comedian Bob Marley (defunct)
WDVE Comedy Cuts (defunct)
Southern Fried Security - I had high hopes for SFS, it would be nice to have a tech podcast not from California, but alas, it was just three folks sitting around whining about articles written on Dark Reading. http://www.southernfriedsecurity.com/
Serial (hiatus)
This Week in Tech: Two hours of iWatch coverage three weeks in a row ruined it for me. Better to stick to their more specific podcasts than listen to rehashed content with horrible panelists. During the NFL playoffs they kept inviting people that would leave during the podcasts to watch football. If the panel doesn't want to be there, why should I?

Chime in when you find something new or interesting, or if one of your current podcasts steps up its game or goes off a cliff.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:44 am

I've never listened Nerdist but one podcast I listen to, Hello Internet, is done by guys who seem to enjoy Nerdist a lot (CGP Grey and Brady Haran).

They have intersting conversations but its not really about a,specific topic so its hard to explain it. I like it though.

Other than that and the TK show (I'm guessing you don't like the current shows because its only basketball?) Are the two Bill Simmons podcasts which are only basketball at this point in the year so youd probably hate them haha

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:05 am

TK Show is my go to. It's not completely sports-based, so kinda wonder why you think NFL season will make you like it more?
Also listen to The Mike Omeara Show. Used to be Don and Mike, many years ago. Decent.
Bill Simmons, sometimes. Nerdist. Bill Maher.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:40 am

TK Show is my go to. It's not completely sports-based, so kinda wonder why you think NFL season will make you like it more?
because dodint hates basketball

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:03 am

I tried listening to Nerdist, but it was raunchy to a level I was not expecting.

Right now my rotation is:

The Talking Dead (two Canadian guys talking about the Walking Dead)
Ace of Spades (Libertarian/conservative political cast)
The Adam Corolla Show (so glad they canned Alison)
The Eddie Trunk Podcast (Hard Rock and Heavy Metal talk)
Kevin Pollack's Chat Show (Interview show with celebrities)
The Ross Report (Jim Ross formerly of WWE)
Trib Live Radio Podcast (Just segments of Guy Junker and Ken Laird's show)
The Tom Woods Show (libertarian economics podcast)
Investor's Business Daily Podcast (Stock market update show)

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:07 am

because dodint hates basketball
I guess I can see that because of all the bracket picking. I'm indifferent about basketball, but still enjoy the show.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:08 am

Wait, Nerdist was too raunchy, but Carolla is ok?

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:35 am

I tried listening to Nerdist, but it was raunchy to a level I was not expecting.

Right now my rotation is:

The Talking Dead (two Canadian guys talking about the Walking Dead)
Ace of Spades (Libertarian/conservative political cast)
The Adam Corolla Show (so glad they canned Alison)
The Eddie Trunk Podcast (Hard Rock and Heavy Metal talk)
Kevin Pollack's Chat Show (Interview show with celebrities)
The Ross Report (Jim Ross formerly of WWE)
Trib Live Radio Podcast (Just segments of Guy Junker and Ken Laird's show)
The Tom Woods Show (libertarian economics podcast)
Investor's Business Daily Podcast (Stock market update show)
1. Nerdist is too raunchy but Carolla is not?

2. Adam would be very disappointed in your spelling of his last name

Craig

Postby Craig » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:46 am

shows that i listen to every podcast:
Monday morning podcast
Come to papa
Down with Joe Derosa
Beetcast

Selectively listen to based on guest:
Joe Rogan experience
Kevin Pollak's chat show
Nerdist
Dom Irrera live from the laugh factory
Your moms house
Ari shaffirs skeptic tank
Katy says
Mohr Stories
The Unexplained podcast
WTF with Mark Maron
Puck Off

And anything bill burr mentions he will be on.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:30 am

The Nerdist guys aren't funny but they aren't unfunny either. I'll listen if they have a great guest, but it's not in my rotation.

I'll listen to WTF if he has a B+ guest...it's an oddly listenable show.

My regular rotation is

Comedy bang bang
How did this get made
Cracked

...these ones aren't on every week but I'm on top of them right away when they come out

Topics
You talking U2 to me
Norm macdonald live
Andy daly podcast pilot project
Serial
...and formerly analyze phish, which is over I'm sure.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:36 am

TK show is usually great, and I'll sit through them whining about the Wizards for 15 minutes every show. But the March Madness stuff is over the top. Brackets are like Fantasy Football teams, nobody cares about yours. Right now if I need something to fill 15 minutes I'll skip to the last 15 minutes of the show and listen to the last segment. I don't hate basketball, I just don't like it. Now if they start talking World Cup soccer all day every day I'll delete the feed.
I just picked NFL training camp because I don't like baseball enough to listen to Nats talk all summer. Maybe I'll switch to Simmons for that. Listening to the QB situation in Washington is high comedy though.

I might have to check out Norm Macdonald. I like the guy but I can't see him doing something structured since his whole bit is that he's too cool for conformity.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:30 pm

The first several episodes of norm's show are spent showing contempt for the medium. It's great...culminating with him ridiculing his main sponsor. After that, he dialed it back. The 2nd season wasn't as good. He had really lousy guests, which didn't help.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:10 pm

TK show is usually great, and I'll sit through them whining about the Wizards for 15 minutes every show. But the March Madness stuff is over the top. Brackets are like Fantasy Football teams, nobody cares about yours. Right now if I need something to fill 15 minutes I'll skip to the last 15 minutes of the show and listen to the last segment. I don't hate basketball, I just don't like it. Now if they start talking World Cup soccer all day every day I'll delete the feed.
I just picked NFL training camp because I don't like baseball enough to listen to Nats talk all summer. Maybe I'll switch to Simmons for that. Listening to the QB situation in Washington is high comedy though.

I might have to check out Norm Macdonald. I like the guy but I can't see him doing something structured since his whole bit is that he's too cool for conformity.
Yeah, I get that about the brackets. I find it boring too. World Cup? Never gonna happen; he hates soccer. For some reason, even though I'm not a Nats' or Wizards' fan, I find his talks about them compelling.

obhave

Postby obhave » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:26 pm

"Reply all" is pretty good. Its a show about the internet. Random stories about different trends on the internet, present and past.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:43 pm

Yeah, I get that about the brackets. I find it boring too. World Cup? Never gonna happen; he hates soccer. For some reason, even though I'm not a Nats' or Wizards' fan, I find his talks about them compelling.
I enjoy their talk about the Wizards but the Nats stuff is so dry

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:45 pm

Now that my friend quit working for the Nats I can stop caring about them. Though if they get it together and win a WS this year I'll feel horrible for him as he's been slaving away there for a while.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:05 pm

"Reply all" is pretty good. Its a show about the internet. Random stories about different trends on the internet, present and past.
Yeah, I like that too. It was spawned from a podcast that someone else brought up here, but forget the name of now. Had to do with creating your own podcast and what the process was. Much more interesting than I'm making it sound.

obhave

Postby obhave » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:37 am

Yeah, I like that too. It was spawned from a podcast that someone else brought up here, but forget the name of now. Had to do with creating your own podcast and what the process was. Much more interesting than I'm making it sound.
"Start up" is the other podcast. I really enjoyed th first season. About his mission to start his media company, get investors, and finally the setup. I'm curious how season two, focusing on other startups, will go.

I work for a startup (very early stage), so many of his stories hit home.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:00 am

Here's my list of current podcasts [disclaimer: it's Wrestlemania season so there are more wrestling podcasts than usual]:

Every episode listen:
By the Way: In Conversation with Jeff Garlin
Doug Loves Movies
Reply All
Star Wars Minute
This American Life
Freakonomics
StartUp

Selected listens based on guest:
How Did This Get Made
The Nerdist
WTF
Comedy Bang Bang

Wrestling:
Cheap Heat
The New Generation Podcast
The Ross Report
The Steve Austin Show(s)
Talk Is Jericho

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:00 am

That's right. Didn't realize there was going to be a season two. I'll have to be on the lookout for it.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:24 pm

One of the unintended consequences of of having a commute that's only 30-minutes each way (as opposed to 90 minutes-2 hrs each way) is that my podcasting has all but ceased. That's also in large part because I've found a current event/news show on Sirius that I really like: The Michael Smerconish Program.

Formula1Blog.com (the female co-host is from Altoona, so that's kind of random)
Earwolf (Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project, Comedy Bang Bang)
Superego

Used to podcast KCRW's Left, Right & Center until they got a new 'right' guy. (Rich Lowry is awful)
Andy daly podcast pilot project
Still can't thank you enough for this one. Every time I see a stupid bear on television, I think of the Travel Bug discussion of "Grizzly Man". :lol:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:35 pm

for comedy bang bang fans...is it just me, or is lauren lapkus the worst thing to ever happen to the show?

she has the ability to occasionally be funny. that's her ceiling. sometimes ok.

but she's on so many freaking episodes. and legitimately funny people like paul f tompkins can't get enough of her. what the hell is going on in this world.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:00 pm

Hey you jerks

Serial

Adnan did it, does anyone really dispute that? Save for Rabia and Adnan Inc

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:07 pm

Of course he did.

Though he does get to stand before a court again soon. Or did. I can't remember.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:15 pm

he did it. you needed to listen to half of episode 1 to realize it