Just Another Podcast Thread

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:31 pm

I'm not bothering to listen to any of it other than Phil's mom, which is sufficiently entertaining. I have a middling interest in college basketball anyway so listening to people be way off in their picks is near the bottom of the barrel of things I want ot listen to

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:05 am

I just use it as background noise. Paid attention to Phil’s mom, although that’s jumped the shark as well. Was also surprising to hear how deep spikes voice is.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:41 am

Apparently Serial is back with "Improvement Association." This season will focus on 2018 election fraud in Bladen County NC.

Meh.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:28 pm

Just finished up King of Kings, Dan Carlin's three-part podcast about the Achaemenid Empire. Man, the ancient world is fascinating.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:49 pm

If you're looking for a ton of history podcast content, I suggest Revolutions. He breaks it down into ~30 minute episodes, and basically just does enough episodes to tell the stories. Sometimes in excruciating detail, the battle stuff bores me, but the economic and social episodes are v good. Only up to the third season (French Revolution), so i've only hear 16 and 17 hundreds stuff, not sure how the 20th century structure will be.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:54 pm

If you're looking for a ton of history podcast content, I suggest Revolutions. He breaks it down into ~30 minute episodes, and basically just does enough episodes to tell the stories. Sometimes in excruciating detail, the battle stuff bores me, but the economic and social episodes are v good. Only up to the third season (French Revolution), so i've only hear 16 and 17 hundreds stuff, not sure how the 20th century structure will be.

Honestly, I can't get enough of this stuff. The fact that much of the history of the First Persian Empire is known to us courtesy of a monumental relief found at the top of Mount Behistun is crazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behistun_Inscription

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:15 pm

Just finished up King of Kings, Dan Carlin's three-part podcast about the Achaemenid Empire. Man, the ancient world is fascinating.
Dan Carlin's stuff is dope... loved King of Kings

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:59 pm

I listen to that one over and over. Here lies (Ku Rash), King of Kings. I got chills typing it hearing him in my head. The way he builds up to that in the first episode. I'll restart it and listen for 3 and a half hours just in anticipation of that last line.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:56 am

So happy to have found the History of Literature podcast yesterday. And it's got hundreds of episodes already.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:08 am

I've been enjoying We Have Ways of Making You Talk, a WWII history podcast with James Holland (historian) and Al Murray (comedian/history enthusiast). It's a very British-centric view of the war, which is pretty unique. They've toured the Bovington Tank museum and did a battlefield walk of the Arnhem battle, which was pretty cool. Over 300 episodes in 2.5 years though, so I'll be listening a while to get caught up.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:52 pm

I’ve been listening to some of American History Tellers, by Wondery. Same guy who does American Scandals. Pretty good. Re-enactments are kind of annoying, but I’ve gotten used to it and like the content.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 13, 2021 8:47 am

Madden's wrestling podcast is over already. That was quick, but a shame because it was a good listen.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed May 26, 2021 7:41 am

I'm a podcast noob - any recommendations for an app on the Android platform? I'll be looking for science and/or history content, too, but I see a rec. for Dan Carlin so I'll earmark that.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 26, 2021 8:56 am

Pocketcasts.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed May 26, 2021 9:24 am

Thank.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:39 am

The Google Podcast app is pretty good. Not sure if it's new or not, but it works well with Android Auto. It deletes downloaded pods after you listen to them, which is nice.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed May 26, 2021 1:43 pm

I've switched completely to Spotify for podcasts now.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed May 26, 2021 1:46 pm

:thumb: thanks, gents.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 31, 2021 7:40 am

I was tipped off to Dan Carlin’s common sense series. Curious if you’ve given it a listen. I started with one from September last year where he talked about the upcoming election. It was a good listen IMO.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon May 31, 2021 8:47 am

I've listened to the most recent 40 or so over the years. He's great

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:36 pm

I was tipped off to Dan Carlin’s common sense series. Curious if you’ve given it a listen. I started with one from September last year where he talked about the upcoming election. It was a good listen IMO.
I have not listened to any of his modern/contemporary stuff. He seems like a true rationalist, so will definitely check it out.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:04 pm

I have not listened to any of his modern/contemporary stuff. He seems like a true rationalist, so will definitely check it out.
He claims that he has not voted for an R or a D since 1992 (he doesn't say which way he voted there). He said "I've voted for libertarian candidates, green party candidates, and have done write-ins" and had decided to vote for Joe Biden in 2020 to break that streak.

I really hope he keeps putting out content as "Steering into the iceberg" and "Garbage in, Garbage out" were good listens.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:32 pm

he came out with #BothSides in his election debrief episode, citing that both sides were complicit in raising the temperature and both sides need to change to fix it - without clear distinction of who is ACTUALLY trying to break the country. it was a trash take. which also implies a lot about his own comprehension of contemporary matters.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:34 pm

Are you talking about "Garbage in, garbage out"? Because if your take away from that was "both sides..." I don't know what to tell ya.

He says the left needs to stop giving the right bulletin board material, which is 100% true, but beyond that there was only one side that he said was living in an alternative reality.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:37 pm

In fact, giving this a second thought... he did mention "both sides" in that it was wrong. He said it can be easy to fall into the trap of saying "both sides" when the right has the ammunition that they have (antifa, rioting, looting, etc). He said today's red scare is no different than the dozens of other times the right has done it in America in that EVERYONE will look back in 5-10 years and think, "what in the world was that???"