Just Another Podcast Thread

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:44 am

he's doing the same podcasts with roughly the same people. the content is the same, except he talks freely about ESPN and now thinks people want to hear about his horrible kids for some reason.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:46 am

Oh.

Well.

You know my policy on those shenanigans.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:05 am

Source of the post Can't listen to any episode with Matt Mira though.
You don't care about his sprawling guitar collection? Tell me more about lefties!
Source of the post Bill Simmons launches a new podcast on Oct. 1

I'm assuming he'll be doing some old stuff with Cousin Sal and Joe House, but I'm worried he won't be able to return Grantland guys like Zachary Lowe and Andy Greenwald. Them and Wesley Morris are really fun to listen to
How did this end up? I haven't tried it yet.
it's pretty good. right now he's doing 3 podcasts a week...Sal on Monday, House on Friday and then one in the middle of the week with random people.

Funnily, I made that post above when Grantland was still a thing which it...no longer is. He had Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan on a podcast a few weeks ago.

It's pretty much the same as the BS Report except they have more freedom to say whatever and swear, which I think is better.

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:09 pm

If you liked his ESPN podcast then you'll like his current one. If you didn't, you won't. He does have more freedom but it mostly just amounts to a small increase in swearing and talking about ESPN every once in a while.

His podcast with Rapaport a couple weeks ago was great though, I'd recommend checking that one out if you're a fan of the NBA at all.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:26 pm

Serial is back, focusing on the Bowe Bergdahl saga this time.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:47 pm

Ah, bummer. Doubt I'll partake in that. Glad I didn't help crowd fund it either. Sophmore slump.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:15 am

Serial is back, focusing on the Bowe Bergdahl saga this time.
The whole Adnan didn't do it thing is silly IMO. His new trial won't be based on he's innocent but on the evidence isn't strong enough to convict him. It's either him or some unknown out of left field person completely unrelated to anything that killed once and never again. Occam's razor.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:39 am

The compelling thing about Serial was that it took a case almost nobody had heard of or remembered and analyzed it from many different perspectives. It exposed some of the good and flawed things about criminal investigation. It was compelling because it's easy to put yourself in the shoes of one of the main characters, so there is some sympathy at play.

With Bergdahl, everyone knows the story and empathy will be low because the vast majority of the NPR audience haven't been in the military, let alone Afghanistan. Instead of shining a light on some terrible thing that *almost* slipped through the cracks they're going to do a mundane longform story that's already been done. *yawn*

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:46 am

Agree completely. Was very disappointed when I saw this was the direction they went. Still will give it a try though.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:09 am

don't really know anything about bowe bergdahl, and i like the story telling on that show. so i'm in.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:19 am

That's fine and good, but there is already plenty of material about him and his story. Missed opportunity and it will probably tank the series.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:24 am

it was either cover a known commodity or go down a path that could lead to dead ends/no podcast for a looong time. she's gotta capitalize on her momentum while she has it. i don't blame her. i'd have done the same thing.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:31 am

it was either cover a known commodity or go down a path that could lead to dead ends/no podcast for a looong time. she's gotta capitalize on her momentum while she has it. i don't blame her. i'd have done the same thing.
I just put it on. Seems like the material was just put in her lap, some 25 hours of recorded interview with Bergdahl done by the screenwriter that did Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty.

I think that she had to change course, not going to say that this is the right course, but would it have really been that interesting if she just dug through another instance of corporate/government/court system bureaucracy gone awry?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:12 am

don't really know anything about bowe bergdahl, and i like the story telling on that show. so i'm in.
Upon further review...this blows.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:01 am

The podcast Adam Carolla does with Mark Geragos is really good and for that matter the main podcast is better than it has ever been.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:43 am

Started listening to Serial this weekend. So far I thoroughly enjoy it. I don't really know at this point whether Adnan did it or not. I personally don't think the state had enough to convict (their case has plenty of doubt). My wife is thoroughly in the "Adnan didn't do it" camp.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:13 am

Source of the post I don't really know at this point whether Adnan did it or not.
That itch will never be scratched, friend.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:16 am

Source of the post I don't really know at this point whether Adnan did it or not.
Oh, I've come to terms with that. The idea that a reporter would bust the case wide open and find something that definitively proves he was innocent is very far fetched. I'm still finding the details of the case interesting.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:18 am

Oh, I've come to terms with that. The idea that a reporter would bust the case wide open and find something that definitively proves he was innocent is very far fetched. I'm still finding the details of the case interesting.
Yup. For me, it was never about a resolution. It was about the story and characters involved, including the reporter herself. I haven't started season 2 yet because I don't have much interest in that story.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:19 am

For sure. I saved it and binged it straight through when I was driving the moving truck from NC to WI. Compelling.

It's why the subject of the sequel is so disappointing, to me. Sophomore slump in the making.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:49 am

There's another podcast called Undisclosed about the Syed case. It is by three lawyers, one of them Adnan's family's friend who initially brought the case to Koenig's attention. Goes into a lot of detail about the case. A little too much detail at times, but it can be interesting.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:45 pm

Started listening to Serial this weekend. So far I thoroughly enjoy it. I don't really know at this point whether Adnan did it or not. I personally don't think the state had enough to convict (their case has plenty of doubt). My wife is thoroughly in the "Adnan didn't do it" camp.
Once the evidence is looked at its pretty obvious that Adnan did it.

The 2nd season isn't compelling in the "who done it" kind of way but I do find it fascinating hearing about being held by the Taliban.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:43 am

@Morkle you donkey :)

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:02 am

@slappybrown - How did this get made is my jam. I love that podcast - I stopped listening awhile ago, I will get back into it. Their live stuff is hilarious.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:06 am

Agreed, their Live shows are always the best.