Just Another Podcast Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:44 pm

The latest episode of People I Mostly Admire was really something... He's interviewing Arne Duncan, the former secretary of education and a lot of the conversation has to do with the work he's currently doing in Chicago, specifically with Chicago CRED: https://www.chicagocred.org

Steve asked about costs for this organization and some of the numbers that Arne threw out were nuts. On average, for someone to go through the CRED program, it costs 33k. He said that number is very different depending on the person, but that's the average. He said (and I haven't double checked these numbers) if you compare that to the average homicide in Chicago, it costs 1.3 million (check the decimal, as I'm just going off memory here), and the average prison stay which is +60K (again, don't recall the exact number). 33k seems like pennies if you can take some one not only away from murder or prison, but have them working a job, supporting their family in a way that isn't drugs and/or violence. It's incredible.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:38 pm

I've been able to get through the TK Show podcast episodes pretty quick as of late, on account of him making Booger **** McFarland a regular. *skip*

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:21 pm

Booger is actually better than I thought he'd be (I've never listened or watched him on anything before). But the show has gone so far away from what it was before Covid. There is basically zero current events talk. The betting segments suck. Michael is pretty annoying. They need to get back to the normal in-studio guests.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:18 pm

Michael is ok but I cannot stand when Sands or another golf guy is on and Michael does his “I’m auditioning for the Golf channel” bit and tries to talk about the grass or some ****

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:00 am

I listened to the first season of "Against the Rules". I really enjoyed it. It focuses on the decline of the ref in american life. It starts discussing literal referees, but it then goes on to discuss referees in our everyday lives. People that are 3rd parties and are responsible for trying to make things fair.

The end of season 1 pretty much wrapped up with saying that Americans (by and far) do not care about fairness anymore... they care about getting the W.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:47 am

Supernova In the East

…I really didn’t know how batshit the Japanese were at a very fundamental level. The use of the A bomb is more complicated than I thought. Or more simple, rather.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:55 am

I listened to the first season of "Against the Rules". I really enjoyed it. It focuses on the decline of the ref in american life. It starts discussing literal referees, but it then goes on to discuss referees in our everyday lives. People that are 3rd parties and are responsible for trying to make things fair.

The end of season 1 pretty much wrapped up with saying that Americans (by and far) do not care about fairness anymore... they care about getting the W.
Is this really an American thing? I have 3 kids, so play ref all the time. And all they care about is getting the W

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:19 am

Is this really an American thing? I have 3 kids, so play ref all the time. And all they care about is getting the W
They focus on American life... I'm sure it's different in different locations, but we're in America, so they focused on America. :lol:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:58 am

Supernova In the East

…I really didn’t know how batshit the Japanese were at a very fundamental level. The use of the A bomb is more complicated than I thought. Or more simple, rather.
Yep, I found the leadup to the World War II era (starting with the Meiji Restoration) fascinating. I liked Carlin's descriptor, that the Japanese "are like everyone else, except much more so".

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:47 pm

He really hedged at calling them fanatical for some reason.

If there ever were fanatics…right there. Those guys. Like…a ton of em.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:02 pm

I just started listening today (I'm about a half hour in) and he's called them fanatical over and over... :lol:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:09 pm

I just started listening today (I'm about a half hour in) and he's called them fanatical over and over... :lol:
You think I’m making up the hedging then? I’ll go back over the 20 hours and time stamp it for ya.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:10 pm

.... k?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:12 pm

Call his bluff, make him do the 20hrs. That'll show you.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:21 pm

Always Sunny podcast hosted by the gang coming soon.

https://open.spotify.com/show/0xDEeqWuo ... seYkYgYDoQ

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:23 pm

This was a good listen. Listened to it maybe a year ago. The next season is on “coaching,” and also good.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:28 pm

The gang is doing an always sunny podcast and it’s fantastic. I don’t know how informative it is but it’s pretty funny and at 30 minutes an episodes it’s a fun quick listen.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:55 am

Enjoyed binging Midnight Burger with the family during our 5 hr drive to OKC and back. Feels very OG Star trek with decent comedy; Sci-Fi without a lot of pew-pew lasers. Appropriately dorky audio drama.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:38 pm

@mikey here are some long-forms that I like. Not all are interview based.

WTF
Hardcore History
TAL
Blank Check
The Lapsed Fan
You Must Remember this
Clear+Vivid

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:46 pm

Science VS
Freakonomics Radio
Freakonomics MD
People I mostly admire (also from the freakonomics family)
Criminal
Revisionist History
Against the rules
A slight change of plans

all great stuff that I typically listen to.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:48 pm

:thumb: Thanks for this.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:22 pm

Algorithm: man I really tried with this but dropped it after episode 7. Two main factors,

1: The narrator. He’s awful, holds the words for too long at the end of a sentence. Sounds like a valley girl or a question. Really weird.

2: They barely do anything with the serial killer algorithm. They say it exists, introduce the creator, and then go down the rabbit hole of a caught serial killer.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:45 pm

Damn Chris Berman on PMT was so good

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:56 pm

Thanks, listening now. I am an unapologetic Chris Berman fan, and this is great.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:15 pm

Thanks, listening now. I am an unapologetic Chris Berman fan, and this is great.
Yeah really awesome hearing his stories. One of the better ones I've heard