5AF NASCAR thread (all levels including ARCA, ASA, etc)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:05 pm

This new format is trash.
I just popped in here to see what the thoughts were on the change, and this seems to sum it up concisely.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:25 pm

Was rooting for Ford generally and Haas as a team so that's a nice result...
...for the only race I'll watch this year.

I think the damage restrictions are more of a fan let down than the Stages thing. The Stages thing is silly and gimmicky but the 5 minute rule, no replacement parts, and not allowed to use the garage takes so many racers and subplots out of it. The hobbit was actually correct in her interview, if 16 cars crash out together there are a ton of points to grab and now that sub-race is gone.

relantel

Postby relantel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:31 pm

I saw the end (last 6 laps) and it did not have a traditional Daytona finish. Hell, guys dropping out for fuel... Only knew the 88 got wrecked because my mother texted to ask me if the 18 wrecked the 88. No idea still. I didn't bother to go back and watch it. Elliott would have been a good story. Same Larson. Kurt Busch, not so much.

The end of the Truck race was just bonkers. The 7 laps of caution to start the 2nd or 3rd stages - nuts. NUTS. Daytona is a big long track. Under yellow, they shouldn't need more than 2 laps to get all of their commericals in. And there was no cleanup at a stage break!

IMHO, if they are going to do the stages thing, the time in between the stages should NOT accure laps.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:48 pm

Agreed fully, that was my biggest issue with the Staged racing. They're not even trying to hide the cash grab they're doing. Imagine how boring that would be at the track.

I can't even complain anymore, it's so contrived and obvious what's the use? Hope it crashes and burns, so to speak.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:00 pm

Kyle Busch (shockingly) wins the Xfinity Series race at Atlanta. The highest-placed driver that is not a Cup regular was Sadler in fifth. Busch failed post-race inspection.

So not only does he insist on repeatedly collecting trophies by racing in a developmental series, but his team cheats too.

relantel

Postby relantel » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:39 am

Kyle Busch (shockingly) wins the Xfinity Series race at Atlanta. The highest-placed driver that is not a Cup regular was Sadler in fifth. Busch failed post-race inspection.

So not only does he insist on repeatedly collecting trophies by racing in a developmental series, but his team cheats too.
They'll keep cheating until they start stripping wins.

The way they've been acting with the support series the last decade or so, it's laughable that they count wins across the "three national touring series". Sure track the lower wins but recognize it is indeed a lower subordinate series. This came into being about the time Kyle Busch was being hyped as the next Richard Petty (he's not). I think it far more likely that Jimmie Johnson will catch David Pearson's 105 than I think Kyle Busch would get to 50 cup wins. 25 for Johnson, 12 for Kyle.

Yes, I know Winston West (today's KNPSW) cars were same spec as Cup cars in the 70s/80s, and that the KNPSE, former Busch East series, was at one time the same spec as the Busch Grand National series. I'm a little fuzzy where the West series was demoted and the Busch series promoted. NASCAR used to fill the fields at Riverside and Sears Point with West series cars in combination races, something that was done in the east with the BGN/Busch East series (at Watkins Glen in particular if memory serves). The only combination races lately I am aware of is the annual Iowa KNPSE/KNPSW Combo race.

Oh, and those Atlanta races yesterday were snooze-fests. I fell asleep during both while playing on the DVR last night.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Another brutally boring race.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:42 pm

NASCAR season starts in like 4 months, right?

relantel

Postby relantel » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Damn, what the hell did they do to Jayski. Totally unreadable now. A&@YGS&Q&WSG ESPN

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jwTw3wVbaA&sns=fb

Joey Logano, punchable face award winner

relantel

Postby relantel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Ryan Newman giving Childress an unlikely victory on Sunday. DIdn't watch it live. RCR hadn't won since Harvick left.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Ryan Newman giving Childress an unlikely victory on Sunday. DIdn't watch it live. RCR hadn't won since Harvick left.
Yeah it was nice to see Newman win. The conditions during that race were brutal. Exhibit A of the physical duress drivers go through during a race like that. The heart rate monitor stuff they showed was cool too.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:12 am

Jeff Gluck is pretty much the only NASCAR writer I still follow.

relantel

Postby relantel » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:37 pm

I could get used to Kyle Larson winning a lot more.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:40 am

Say goodbye to NASCAR as anything resembling a national sport. Think ratings are bad now? Just wait...

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/856857051594715136

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:43 am

Yeah, *that's* why fans will tune out.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:46 am

I know lots and lots of NASCAR fans who long ago checked out on the product at the racetrack, but were only watching to see how Dale Jr. did.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:47 am

Spoiler: He did mediocre.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:47 am

That's a shame. He had flashes where it looked like he could maybe sneak a title (especially under the Chase format) and he's not untalented. But he was never going to be even the second best driver at Hendrick which made for a difficult situation. He never seemed like a silver spoon, which probably comes from not being close to Sr and Theresa's sphere.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:58 am

Man....talk about the end of an era. I got into NASCAR in the late 90s, and all of the guys I "grew up" watching are gonna be gone now (Stewart, Jarrett, Gordon, Earnhardt, Edwards, Labontes/Burtons, etc). Jimmie Johnson, Matt Kenseth, Kevin Harvick, etc are probably only a couple of years out.

I just don't have any loyalty or interest in the "young guns" right now.

relantel

Postby relantel » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Man....talk about the end of an era. I got into NASCAR in the late 90s, and all of the guys I "grew up" watching are gonna be gone now (Stewart, Jarrett, Gordon, Earnhardt, Edwards, Labontes/Burtons, etc). Jimmie Johnson, Matt Kenseth, Kevin Harvick, etc are probably only a couple of years out.

I just don't have any loyalty or interest in the "young guns" right now.
I hear you there - similar timeline, watched in passing growing up, latched on to Earnhardt, and followed Jr coming up through the ranks. 2004/2014 years showed so much promise but led to seasons of let-down.

Of the younger-ish kids - Kyle Larson maybe. My wife's favorite has been Harvick ever since Dale's death. And I rooted for Truex when he drove for Jr. Same with Keselowski. But have I watched race in race out, whole season long anytime recently? Nope.

Would be nice to see the 88 in victory lane once more before he goes, but their performance so far this year doesn't seem to suggest that will be in the cards.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun May 07, 2017 7:14 pm

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:21 pm

So, they put the nail biting regular season ender at the most boring track on the schedule, and went with the gimicky roval for Charlotte's fall Chase date. Just when you think it couldn't get worse.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 24, 2017 4:23 pm

My patience for NASCAR is so thin. I tried to turn on an ARCA race last night but they were in commercial break FOUR minutes into the broadcast. Switched it to a Seinfeld rerun.

relantel

Postby relantel » Wed May 24, 2017 4:41 pm

So, they put the nail biting regular season ender at the most boring track on the schedule, and went with the gimicky roval for Charlotte's fall Chase date. Just when you think it couldn't get worse.
That's next year. When no one will be watching anyway.

Biggest suggestion to NASCAR: Get rid of the damn splitter. It's been a disaster for 10 years.