Best Places to Live & Best Performing Cities in the USA

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:07 pm

I have trouble believing anywhere in Arkansas or Alabama are a desirable place to live.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:11 pm

Alabama I don't get. I had an interview south of Hunstville and while there were parts that felt normal, there were others where you could feel the banjo music. Even the normal parts felt like Dollar General versions of the real thing.
As much as I dislike Arkansas from a "State rival" sort of way, my SIL lives in Fayetteville and I'd say NW Arkansas has all the typical mid-size Midwest town amenities with a more pleasant climate and more natural beauty.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:26 pm

I wouldn't think housing was "cheaper" in KC than Fayetteville, but ok.
Fayetteville (and the whole NW Arkansas) housing market went insane in the last several years. I think it's the combination of:
1. NW Arkansas being crowned as the "new Austin (still) without Austin prices" (with a good number of new start-ups)
2. Local big headquarters (Walmart, Tyson, JB Hunt) + 300+ corporate offices of companies working with WMT being among the first in the U.S. to require return to working from offices (so tons of people are moving in and driving the prices up)
3. And yet due to being cheaper than the true metropolitan places on either of the coasts, a lot of people come here to relocate while working-from-home for their East/West Coast Employers.

I don't know how much one can generalize from a few data points, but we got a house under contract almost exactly one year ago, and I believe we could easily sell it for $125K extra this year. And the demand is apparently insane on every price level. Our mortgage broker told us about a few $1+M houses that stayed on the market for less than 24 hours, getting all-cash bids...

I have lived here for 21+ years, and during that time the two counties creating "NW Arkansas" (i.e. Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers-Bentonville MSA) went from pop 250K to 550+K. New construction everywhere (interestingly, slightly less in Fayetteville, but the growth up north is enormous)

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue May 17, 2022 11:26 pm

New US News "Best Places to Live" ranking:

The 10 Best Places to Live in the U.S. in 2022-2023:

1. Huntsville, Alabama
2. Colorado Springs, Colorado
3. Green Bay, Wisconsin
4. Boulder, Colorado
5. San Jose, California
6. Raleigh and Durham, North Carolina
7. Fayetteville, Arkansas
8. Portland, Maine
9. Sarasota, Florida
10. San Francisco

Huntsville (????) takes down the back-to-back defending champion Colorado Springs.

And Pittsburgh is apparently the 6th cheapest place to live in the US!

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/ra ... es-to-live

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue May 17, 2022 11:40 pm

Huntsville is adding population and the best pittsburgh can hope for is that enough childless millennial and gen z’ers move to Lawrenceville in order to offset all the old farts dying off in the rest of the city

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed May 18, 2022 12:22 am

San Francisco? A city where you pay a million dollars for a condo and step over piles of poop and used needles on the sidewalks is in the top 10 best places to live? I call shenanigans on that list for that entry alone.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 18, 2022 7:23 am

Maybe it’s a different San Francisco…

Two big factors are desirability and job market. I am not a California guy, but I know San Fran is highly desirable to some. And the tech sector is huge there. Lots of jobs, at least in my field, in that area.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Wed May 18, 2022 7:28 am

I really enjoyed my trip to San Francisco but I would not want to live there. Same with LA. I wouldn’t mind living in San Diego though.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed May 18, 2022 9:34 am

New US News "Best Places to Live" ranking:

The 10 Best Places to Live in the U.S. in 2022-2023:

1. Huntsville, Alabama
2. Colorado Springs, Colorado
3. Green Bay, Wisconsin
4. Boulder, Colorado
5. San Jose, California
6. Raleigh and Durham, North Carolina
7. Fayetteville, Arkansas
8. Portland, Maine
9. Sarasota, Florida
10. San Francisco

Huntsville (????) takes down the back-to-back defending champion Colorado Springs.

And Pittsburgh is apparently the 6th cheapest place to live in the US!

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/ra ... es-to-live
Huntsville is really quite nice. lots of job opportunity with NASA and a metric crap ton of space industry contractors.
I have friends that live in nearby Madison and you can get a really nice house for pretty cheap. Nashville is 2 hours north and Birmingham is 90 minutes South if you want some big city fun. because of all the NASA transplants, the people are pretty eclectic and they have a really nice municipal hockey rink.
the one thing that drives me a bit crazy when I visit my friends: the sidewalks and streets pretty much roll up at 9:00 PM.

Green Bay being #3, that one I don't get.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed May 18, 2022 9:41 am

I’d rather live on Mars than in SF

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 18, 2022 11:00 am

Mars, PA?