Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:11 pm

booked an MRI at my hospital. insurance company calls me to say that the procedure is covered by my insurance, but there are cheaper locations to have it done.

yes...let me go to an inferior imaging location where my doctors don't have instant, online access to the results. i'll do all this to save you, the insurance company, a few dollars. and gain no benefit, personally. that sounds like a great plan. let's do that.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:56 pm

Lots of people out sick today with the whole flu-like thing.

Hoping I've avoided it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Probably overkill for this thread, but a buddy of mine's wife is pregnant with their first kid. He just told me they got back from going over the genetic tests and it has Trisomy 13 disorder which if they were able to carry to term would lead to Patau Syndrome. Chances of that happening is 1:10,000 at most.

Gutted for them, they're nice people.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:24 pm

If we talked about Rust missing some time tonight, can this just be folded into the Penguins Randomness thread?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:47 pm

Probably overkill for this thread, but a buddy of mine's wife is pregnant with their first kid. He just told me they got back from going over the genetic tests and it has Trisomy 13 disorder which if they were able to carry to term would lead to Patau Syndrome. Chances of that happening is 1:10,000 at most.

i got snipped after #2 largely for this reason. we have 2 healthy ones, and my wife doesn't do the genetic testing, nor would she act on any test results. no more risks for this guy. if we had a kid with Down's i would be a broken individual. i don't have it in me. and the marriage would have been in complete disarray as a result.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:10 pm

I looked it up, never again.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:20 pm

Welp, here come nightmares.

I feel so bad for them.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:26 pm

What the ****.

Reason # 10,661

Never having kids.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:29 pm

Yeah, not good. They caught it early enough that they'll be able to terminate and head off a lot of suffering for the three of them.

They're good at seeing the silver lining, but it's still an awful place to be.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:21 pm

Ugh, that's terrible. My heart goes out to these folks, genetic defects in newborns are absolutely heartbreaking. So many couples that try desperately to have children and constantly face bad luck like that. And then on the flip side, you have trash bag baby factory mothers that churn out healthy kids (at least until they are raised by them).

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:02 pm

My wife has been sick for like 5 days. 2 days ago she went to med express. Said the lady there looked her over for about 30 seconds, said she had "a viral infection" and wrote her a script for Flonase and Benzonatate. Nasal allergy spray and hopped up robotussin. Has anyone ever known of anyone to go to med express and get treated for their illness? I have zero desire to ever go to med express. Went once to get staples in my head and at that they seemed reluctant to do it.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:49 am

My wife has been sick for like 5 days. 2 days ago she went to med express. Said the lady there looked her over for about 30 seconds, said she had "a viral infection" and wrote her a script for Flonase and Benzonatate. Nasal allergy spray and hopped up robotussin. Has anyone ever known of anyone to go to med express and get treated for their illness? I have zero desire to ever go to med express. Went once to get staples in my head and at that they seemed reluctant to do it.
I'd avoid them.

Same thing happened to my wife last year. She went there and they told her her allergies were flared. After a few more days of no change, she got an appt. with our PCP and found at she had a chest infection.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:04 am

i think i can check 1 mystery ailment off the list. looks like my L5/S1 disc is being smushed into the nerves going down my spine, which has caused my back pain over the last 18 months or so. this would have been caught last summer, but my wonderful doctor didn't feel like talking to my insurance people to push an MRI through, so it's been undiagnosed until now.

anyone ever deal with a herniated disc in their lower back?

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:10 am

I went to the UPMC version of Med Express (don't remember the actual name). I had what I thought was a horrible cold. The doctor took an x-ray, saw clouding in the bottom of my lungs and said "I think you have pneumonia." She sent me to the UPMC Shadyside ER for further testing.

She was correct, I had pneumonia.

So my experience with fast food medical service actually worked out.

The ER experience - that didn't go as well...

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:13 am

My dad had one after a gym class hero checked him in a non-checking deck hockey game. It wasn't pretty. This was about 4 or 5 years ago and he still goes to a chiropractor at least once a month. And his big toe is still numb.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:16 am

My dad had one after a gym class hero checked him in a non-checking deck hockey game. It wasn't pretty. This was about 4 or 5 years ago and he still goes to a chiropractor at least once a month. And his big toe is still numb.
all of my toes and the balls of my feet are partially numb.

chiro treatment feels good, but i'm afraid the ultimate solution is going to be stretching/exercising for about 23 hours a day, and changing how i sit, how i stand, how i walk, how i stand up, etc...do this for 16 years and it'll be good as new

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:18 am

Or surgery.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:19 am

I feel like poo today. I blame my wife lol. Haven't got out of bed yet. Thankfully working from Home today.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:53 pm

As expected, wife went to her PCP today and has a sinus infection. Was sent home with amoxicillin as treatment.

Bravo, MEx

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:00 am

Now that I'm out of the pneumonia zone thanks to antibiotics, I've been getting post-nasal **** and now my ears keep popping.

One problem becomes another.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:47 pm

The nagging cough and stuffiness has turned into pneumonia. Grrr.

Got some antibiotics hope they do the trick.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:49 pm

They only gave me 5 for my pneumonia, and it helped clear some of the crap up, but I still have a small cough that affects my energy levels (aka physical activity is slightly harder than it was before I got the pneumonia). YMMV.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:01 pm

Yeah I have a 5 day course as well so we shall see.

They want me to get a chest x Ray too.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:12 pm

Watching TV last night, somnething in my throat...... clicked? Popped? It's at the top of my throat like where the next bends into the chin. It feels like someone is gently poking their finger into my Adam's apple. It never stops. It's like the cartilage in my throat peaced out on me.
Woke up today and realized that the nodes in my armpits and groin are swollen. After consulting WebMD, I'm pretty certain I have thyroid cancer. Or polyps. The internet is a little light on specifics at times.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:17 pm

:face: