Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:06 pm

For the last few days, my wife has been hit with laryngitis, possibly bronchitis, and a low grade fever. I was doing well, and then this morning, I woke up with that telltale tickle in the back of my throat, and I've been feeling out of it all day.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:12 pm

For the last few days, my wife has been hit with laryngitis, possibly bronchitis, and a low grade fever. I was doing well, and then this morning, I woke up with that telltale tickle in the back of my throat, and I've been feeling out of it all day.
I've had the same thing for almost a month now. Not so much the laryngitis, but probably bronchitis and on and off fever. I was over it a week or so ago, but this past weekend it reared its ugly head again. My kids have also been on and off with this, and my wife had a really bad cough from the end of last year up through January this year. This winter sucks.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:28 am

Ugh...woke up this morning feeling like I got hit by a freight train. Brutal headache, congestion, bad muscle soreness, etc. I feel like a zombie.

I told work I'm not coming in. Took Mucinex D, which as usual, makes me feel like I'm sweating through my clothes, along with Excedrin. I do feel considerably better than I did at 7:00.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:00 am

Ugh...woke up this morning feeling like I got hit by a freight train. Brutal headache, congestion, bad muscle soreness, etc. I feel like a zombie.

I told work I'm not coming in. Took Mucinex D, which as usual, makes me feel like I'm sweating through my clothes, along with Excedrin. I do feel considerably better than I did at 7:00.
I called off work for this yesterday. Same exact thing, felt like the back of my neck was one giant throbbing muscle.

I stayed in bed for most of the day yesterday, got some extra sleep, and today I'm back to like 90%.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:32 am

Had to take Mucinex D as soon as I woke up, although I feel better than yesterday. Is anyone else affected by that stuff like I am? It made me feel a 100 times better, but for the first few hours afterwards, I was sweating like crazy.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:36 am

As with most things medical, I consult google followed by 5Af...

Last night my left ear just clogged out of nowhere. It wasn't like that when I left for dinner, but when I sat down after getting home and turned on the TV I noticed my left ear feels clogged and sounds are muffled. I do have a slight sore throat, so I might be getting sick and the pressure is just built up there, but this is really odd. I tried a q-tip cleaning, got some wax but no more than a normal cleaning, the hold your nose and gently blow out to pop your ears, no luck, might grab some sort of ear cleaning stuff to try this evening.

I've never had this happen before. Anyone experience this previously? It was really odd sleeping last night. Just couldn't get myself comfortable.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:42 am

A sinus infection can spread to your eustachian tubes. Cleaning out your ears won’t do anything, try taking some pseudophendrine.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:43 am

A sinus infection can spread to your eustachian tubes. Cleaning out your ears won’t do anything, try taking some pseudophendrine.
Wouldn't I feel that in other locations as well? I'm not sure I've ever had a sinus infection.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:46 am

The clogged ear feeling is usually blocked tubes...which would explain why you can’t blow them out...they are probably inflamed.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:08 am

Took one about a half hour ago. We'll see how it goes. If I'm not better by lunch, this is on you, Ben.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:14 am

I've had that before but not caused by an illness.

Sometimes I think the pressure differential gets randomly out of whack but I have nothing to back that up.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:08 am

Keep the Q-tips out of your ear canal. Despite the marketing, they are terrible for your inner ear.

I'd head to the ENT to have them check it out.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:12 am

Since I'm not feeling great, it might just be pressure due to a cold or something. I'm going to give it a few before going to the doc. And yeah, the q-tips certainly don't go all the way in. I remember as a kid I used to do that because I thought that's how they were supposed to work.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:17 am

Since I'm not feeling great...
Knuckle still bothering you?

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:20 am

I was sick a month ago, and the cough refuses to let go.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:20 am

Since I'm not feeling great...
Knuckle still bothering you?
As a side note: yes. It is. Thank you for asking.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:21 am

You're welcome, that is the thoughts part, someone else can do the prayers.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 am

As with most things medical, I consult google followed by 5Af...

Last night my left ear just clogged out of nowhere. It wasn't like that when I left for dinner, but when I sat down after getting home and turned on the TV I noticed my left ear feels clogged and sounds are muffled. I do have a slight sore throat, so I might be getting sick and the pressure is just built up there, but this is really odd. I tried a q-tip cleaning, got some wax but no more than a normal cleaning, the hold your nose and gently blow out to pop your ears, no luck, might grab some sort of ear cleaning stuff to try this evening.

I've never had this happen before. Anyone experience this previously? It was really odd sleeping last night. Just couldn't get myself comfortable.
Tilt your head, pour a capful of peroxide in your ear, let it bubble for a few minutes, dump it out and then do the other one.
A sinus infection can spread to your eustachian tubes... try taking some pseudophendrine.
:thumb: Benadryl usually helps.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:59 am

Source of the post Tilt your head, pour a capful of peroxide in your ear, let it bubble for a few minutes, dump it out and then do the other one.
Our pediatrician has us do this to our kids. This is mainly for breaking up wax that has solidified to the point where it won't come out with regular washing.

I doubt this is what c2i is dealing with, but it's worth a try.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Source of the post Tilt your head, pour a capful of peroxide in your ear, let it bubble for a few minutes, dump it out and then do the other one.
Our pediatrician has us do this to our kids. This is mainly for breaking up wax that has solidified to the point where it won't come out with regular washing.

I doubt this is what c2i is dealing with, but it's worth a try.
I've done this for years, as soon as I feel a cold coming on. Along with a day or two of Benadryl, it usually takes care of it.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:32 pm

You do this, too, don't you:

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Welp. Can't unsee that.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:34 pm

What’s the verdict @count2infinity ?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:43 pm

That women cleans her own nasal cavity and cuts her own hair. What a find.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:44 pm

Not to mention she looks like a robot.