Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:37 pm

Grab that Obamacare and get a diagnosis already. It's been, what, 24 hours? This isn't Canada.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:50 pm

Yeah, not good. They caught it early enough that they'll be able to terminate and head off a lot of suffering for the three of them.

They're good at seeing the silver lining, but it's still an awful place to be.
People need to accept the fact that if it is the Lord's intent to make you suffer you have no right to avoid it.
Last edited by crusherstasiak on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:52 pm

Odd spot to pick to prove a point, but good effort on the dig.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:17 pm

Watching TV last night, somnething in my throat...... clicked? Popped? It's at the top of my throat like where the next bends into the chin. It feels like someone is gently poking their finger into my Adam's apple. It never stops. It's like the cartilage in my throat peaced out on me.
Woke up today and realized that the nodes in my armpits and groin are swollen. After consulting WebMD, I'm pretty certain I have thyroid cancer. Or polyps. The internet is a little light on specifics at times.
currently, i either have ALS or arthritis in my neck.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:32 pm

One sure way to convince yourself that you are dying is to google your symptoms.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:21 pm

currently, i either have ALS or arthritis in my neck.
You just can't tell...

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:59 am

My wife was diagnosed with an aggressive breast cancer at 29, and has been fortunate enough to beat it and come out the other side mostly whole. When we moved to Wisconsin there was a woman named Laura that lived across the street that was really helpful. She came down and introduced herself one day when I was checking the mail and found that she was a BC survivor. She ended up coming inside and talking to my wife for a few hours about the different health networks and providers and really eased my wife's transition to WI. I know it was hard for my wife to leave the security of her oncologist and those ties to start a 'new' life in WI. Both Laura and my wife are into mentoring and helping other people with their own struggle with diagnosis and treatment so they got along really well.

It turns out that Laura's cancer came back, but in her liver. She passed on Saturday night. She made it three months, and didn't tell anyone (outside of her family) so it was kind of a shock to us and the neighborhood. I saw her out walking on Saturday, and now she's gone. Laura was 40 and a mother of five.

**** Cancer, as always. These undetected relapses scare the living **** out of me, it's one of the few things that really lurk under the surface of how I see living the rest of my life. Take your screenings seriously.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:11 am

That is awful.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:16 pm

RIP to Laura. Cancer terrifies me from a loved one perspective (wife, child, etc), although heart disease scares me personally far more given my family history. I'm definitely going to get every screening possible starting at the appropriate age...why take chances?

I have a good friend from way back to elementary school...took her to 9th grade social, etc, and we've kept in touch over the years. (This is another one of those grade school girlfriends that eventually came out as a lesbian, but that's neither here nor there). Found out last month she has Stage 3 colon cancer and is going through treatments. It absolutely floored me...you just look at some people and think that there's no way they should be sick.

dodint, obviously hope your wife's cancer stays eradicated forever. The thought of having my wife, who is the rock of our family, face that diagnosis is enough to keep me awake at night.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:24 pm

It turns out that Laura's cancer came back, but in her liver. She passed on Saturday night. She made it three months, and didn't tell anyone (outside of her family) so it was kind of a shock to us and the neighborhood. I saw her out walking on Saturday, and now she's gone. Laura was 40 and a mother of five.
Holy.............. that's so sad.

Indeed, **** cancer.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:18 am

Ugh... first started feeling sick Monday afternoon. Was miserable Tuesday-Thursday, but not going to work wasn't an option. Still feel terrible but at least I'm home resting. This cold can go away any time now.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:23 am

RIP to Laura. Cancer terrifies me from a loved one perspective (wife, child, etc), although heart disease scares me personally far more given my family history. I'm definitely going to get every screening possible starting at the appropriate age...why take chances?

I have a good friend from way back to elementary school...took her to 9th grade social, etc, and we've kept in touch over the years. (This is another one of those grade school girlfriends that eventually came out as a lesbian, but that's neither here nor there). Found out last month she has Stage 3 colon cancer and is going through treatments. It absolutely floored me...you just look at some people and think that there's no way they should be sick.

dodint, obviously hope your wife's cancer stays eradicated forever. The thought of having my wife, who is the rock of our family, face that diagnosis is enough to keep me awake at night.
I missed this somehow, thanks for the kind words shaf. :thumb:

Laura's GoFundMe page broke through it's goal so that's something. Nothing's going to 'fix' that family but at least the community came together to try and make it not get any worse.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon May 02, 2016 8:42 am

Co-worker misses Mon/Tue of last week, and drags himself in the rest of the week coughing and sneezing and sounding horrible.

Friday night I start feeling like crap, spend the ENTIRE weekend with a splitting headache and just feeling bad. Drag myself to work today after a poor night of sleep, I think the sickness has passed but who knows.

Get to my desk, co-worker has called off again.

Might just murder him. His wife works at the childcare center on base so every little sniffle in America ends up in my office pretty quickly.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:15 am

I very, very rarely get cold/flu bugs but I've got a wicked head cold working through me right now. Started as a tickle in my throat earlier in the week and now it's full blown stuffiness, nasal drip, and I had a sneezing fit last night with like 8 full power sneezes right in a row. Rode the bus for the first time today and it made me nauseous to the point of having cold sweats.

Maybe I'm pragnart.

Oh, hey, the prior post in this thread was me complaining about being sick. Hmm.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:12 am

I very, very rarely get cold/flu bugs but I've got a wicked head cold working through me right now. Started as a tickle in my throat earlier in the week and now it's full blown stuffiness, nasal drip, and I had a sneezing fit last night with like 8 full power sneezes right in a row. Rode the bus for the first time today and it made me nauseous to the point of having cold sweats.

Maybe I'm pragnart.

Oh, hey, the prior post in this thread was me complaining about being sick. Hmm.
Welcome to Pittsburgh. My entire family is sick, as are quite a few people in the office.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:08 am

Maybe I'm pragnart.

My wife has that and I've just gotten the throat tickle. Super. I'm good for one, maybe two, illnesses per year.

I have so much sick time accrued, it's ridiculous.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:10 am

My wife is about 48 hours ahead of me on this, so she's clearly the culprit.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:12 am

It's the dodints that'll git ya's.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:12 am

Dammit. It doesn't rhyme with the censoring.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:22 pm

I can't catch a break this year.

I've been almost the perfect example of health. I have allergies and maybe the yearly cold or sinus infection, but until this near it's never been much to write home about.

I just got diagnosed with **** shingles, after being diagnosed with pneumonia earlier in the year. I'm 25. How the **** does that happen?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:27 pm

Didn't see dodint's post. I think I had the same brand of bug. Head cold. Splitting headache. Nausea. Jumped out a window to end it all...etc.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:49 pm

I can't catch a break this year.

I've been almost the perfect example of health. I have allergies and maybe the yearly cold or sinus infection, but until this near it's never been much to write home about.

I just got diagnosed with **** shingles, after being diagnosed with pneumonia earlier in the year. I'm 25. How the **** does that happen?
Not joking when I ask, but: do you have any friends that are anti-vaxxer parents? I wonder if shingles cases will rise along with other typically avoidable stuff.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:10 pm

I had shingles at 25. It was lovely.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:11 pm

All of my friends are around my age or older. I don't think the anti-vax stuff started until later in the 90s (but I could be wrong).

But I have no idea where I would've gotten it from. I didn't come into contact with anything, and from what I can tell, you only can get shingles if you've already had chicken pox (which I have) and you can't spread it unless you come into contact with someone who doesn't have it.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:15 pm

i havent been sick in like two years.

Honestly, seems to correlate with when I started following my diet seriously, training and taking some supplements.

Im not trying to sound like a ******, its just an honest observation