Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:55 am

I need to go. Badly. It's been about nine years since I last went.
Went about 12 years between visits. Had about 12 cavities.

But I realized that fillings are way more intimidating when you're a kid. If you're a grown up, there's nothing to fear about a routine dental visit. Even if they're jamming hooks into you or drilling holes into your face.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:57 am

Not really worried about it, it's just something I never think to do.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:56 pm

I need to go. Badly. It's been about nine years since I last went.
Went about 12 years between visits. Had about 12 cavities.

But I realized that fillings are way more intimidating when you're a kid. If you're a grown up, there's nothing to fear about a routine dental visit. Even if they're jamming hooks into you or drilling holes into your face.
This is actually helping me, thanks. I feel like a total degenerate, and I'm already thinking about how I'm going to get yelled at by the dentist. It's been about 3 years for me.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Yeah I haven't been to the dentist in probably 8 years or so. The last time I went was like 5 years between visits and had no cavities. I know I should go, but I just don't. I brush regularly and floss on occasion. No sensitivity issues, but I'm sure this will come back to bite me at some point.

Also in regards to sonicare toothbrushes.. I don't say thing just because I work for Philips.. but yeah they are good.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:17 pm

Just finished up a 2 year dentist drought. I flossed probably like 10 times in that period because I'm a filthy animal. My gums were pristine when they were stabbing me with hooks.

Not a doctor but you don't need to floss if you have a sonicare. It's official.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:26 pm

I must admit that it's also been quite a few years since I've been to a dentist. The fact that I pay for dental insurance makes it even worse. Nothing hurts, is bleeding, or is otherwise bothering me, so I've just been blowing it off.

I do see my eye doctor on a regular basis.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:01 pm

Eye doctors are a scam. If I want to renew an old prescription it's my choice. We aren't talking about re-upping a supply of medicinal LSD. It's 2 pieces of glass that rest on my nose.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:13 pm

Depends on that one. I have an astigmatism in both eyes and my prescription slowly gets worse and worse, so I need a new prescription almost every year. Frames and lenses on the other hand... scam city.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:43 am

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that. Somehow, I'm the only person in my family that doesn't need glasses. Everyone has piss poor vision, and I'm sitting at 20/17.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:57 am

Depends on that one. I have an astigmatism in both eyes and my prescription slowly gets worse and worse, so I need a new prescription almost every year. Frames and lenses on the other hand... scam city.
You're a grown up who knows how to take care of yourself. You don't need a mandatory prescription update babysitting horse poop.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:04 am

I don't understand your position... you don't need a prescription update to order new glasses.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:26 am

A quick question for the FAF medical team:

My 8 year old son fractured three metatarsals way back in March. He was in a hard cast for three weeks, then a brace for another three weeks. The orthopedist prescribed the brace and said he'd see us in 3 months for a checkup (not in three weeks when we were done with the brace). I clarified that point, and yes, he didn't need to see us again until 3 months unless my son had severe pain.

So, he's been out of the brace for over two weeks now and he is still limping around. No pain, but he says it "feels numb" along the top and side of his foot. He's very active, and it hasn't slowed him down much, but it's a little odd.

Has anyone had this same experience with fractured bones in the foot?

It's a shame about the foot. He got hurt at a baseball practice, and he missed all but the first 4 games. He probably would have made All stars, too, had he been healthy. His entire travel team made All stars, except for him...he's bummed out about it.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:47 am

I don't understand your position... you don't need a prescription update to order new glasses.
But...you do. If it's been 2 years and you want new glasses, the vendor needs you to go re-up with your doctor. I don't understand YOUR position.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:23 am

But...you do. If it's been 2 years and you want new glasses, the vendor needs you to go re-up with your doctor. I don't understand YOUR position.
What you're saying is incorrect. You can buy glasses online and throw whatever prescription into the glasses you want. You don't need a note from the doctor.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:46 am

What you're saying is incorrect. You can buy glasses online and throw whatever prescription into the glasses you want. You don't need a note from the doctor.
you cant get lenses without an rx. if your rx is too old, you are required to get a new one. im not just guessing. this is a thing that happens.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:11 am

http://www.zennioptical.com/faq/prescri ... 5#faqTopic

At the bottom:

"What if my prescription has expired?"
"We strongly recommended that you get an eye exam every two years, or more frequently if you notice that your vision has changed."

Notice how it doesn't say you must get a new prescription? I know because I've ordered from zenni, and there's nowhere that you even need to upload your prescription. All you need to do is plug in the numbers you want in your lenses and bam, you get your rx glasses.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:44 am

Tell that to warby parker, fella.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:12 am

you cant get lenses without an rx. if your rx is too old, you are required to get a new one. im not just guessing. this is a thing that happens.
You're wrong, mate. You can go online, type in your Rx, and order glasses any time. I have done it many times to order Rx sunglasses.

An eyeglass Rx is not a controlled substance.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:05 pm

The wife does it too, with Zen I optical.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:41 am

So, as always, **** Cancer.

My wife, MIL, and FIL have all been diagnosed with some form of cancer in July over the last couple of years. To the point that my wife is starting to develop a small fear of July because it never ends well.
My FIL was diagnosed last July. We thought for sure he only had about six months. That's part of the reason we moved back to Pittsburgh last year instead of waiting till 2020 like we wanted. My wife wanted to spend *some* time with him.
He ended up having tumors up and down his spine and in his lungs. Terrible incurable situation, but manageable as long as he wants to keep getting treatment for it thanks to them catching it before it spread too far. They switched his chemo drugs up and he had a bad reaction to it. Had to be life flighted to Presby last night.
When checking him over the found that the cancer has already spread to his brain. That's game over for him, I think. July is coming.

It's cruel he spent the winter confined to his couch in constant pain. Spring saw him claw back and last time I was at his place two weeks ago he was outside mowing the lawn and enjoying the weather. Now he's crippled again. **** cancer for killing our friends and family, and **** hope for destroying those that are left behind.

I see that LBL is in the same boat right now with his uncle. My FIL is as comfortable as he can be, but if you can spare some generosity for LBL I can attest that it does go a long way for people in his situation: https://www.gofundme.com/bill-bee-thoma

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:01 pm

My FIL is stopping treatment and coming home for hospice. Literally the beginning of the end.

Why couldn't my wife and him have gotten one good year together after we moved back? I am so mad, so sad. I tried, did everything I could, I am sure.

Found out while I was at Lowes. Drove home and I'm sitting in my driveway crying with a load of wood in the trunk. Reevaluating my life's choices over the last 15 years. Evaluating his choices too. Not sure who is more responsible or if it really even matters.

Why isn't life getting easier? It should, right?

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:35 pm

My FIL is stopping treatment and coming home for hospice. Literally the beginning of the end.

Why couldn't my wife and him have gotten one good year together after we moved back? I am so mad, so sad. I tried, did everything I could, I am sure.

Found out while I was at Lowes. Drove home and I'm sitting in my driveway crying with a load of wood in the trunk. Reevaluating my life's choices over the last 15 years. Evaluating his choices too. Not sure who is more responsible or if it really even matters.

I'm deeply sorry for your family, man. My best friend just lost his wife to a year-long battle with glioblastoma, one of the worst forms of brain cancer. They have twin 14 year old boys. She was 47.

They did everything they could to save her and support her wishes. In the end, that's about all you can do so that you won't have any regrets about what could/should have been done, or at least can minimize them.

Be good to others. Tell people you love them. Go live.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:52 pm

Really sorry you're all going through this, dodint. I don't think life gets easier. About 18 years ago my dad was diagnosed with fairly advanced colon cancer. Every check up afterward we waited for bad news, which never came. Then my grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. We watched her steadily decline for 14 years until she finally passed away after 5+ years of not knowing us, not being able to walk, having to eat pureed food, etc. It sounds awful, but when she died I felt like we could finally start living again. That lasted a whole 8 months and then my dad was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. Fortunately it's slow growing, but it'll kill him eventually unless something else does first. Then, 2 months ago, he had a stroke which left him very weak on his right side and he basically needs someone around him 24/7. It seems like every time I think we're going to be able to put health problems in the past, something comes along and kicks us in the face. I think that's just life.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Ugh...really sorry to hear that dodint, ditto for the others. That's just brutal :(

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:51 am

Thanks, guys
July is coming.
He got home late last night. My wife stayed till about 5am. He passed 20 minutes later, because of course he did.