Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Likes Lena Dunham and opiates. A pattern is emerging.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:58 pm

"Minor rib fracture, nothing we can do about it. Suck it up. Thanks for the $100."

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:00 pm

"Minor rib fracture, nothing we can do about it. Suck it up. Thanks for the $100."
This is exactly what I expect, and I told my wife the same. Generally just take it easy and heal at home. If it really was the worst case scenario, I would be a lot less mobile than I am now.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:31 pm

There are also muscles between the ribs that you can strain, and that will cause chest pain. I've strained those muscles before carrying some heavy items, and it can result in chest pain. I went to my doctor and had a full heart checkup just to make sure, but the diagnosis was muscular. The pain tends to last a long time because the muscles are constantly moving, so they have less of a chance to heal.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:24 am

My wife confided in me that when she was diagnosed with cancer and had to have her port put in, she wasn't nervous about the surgery because she 'wasn't afraid to die' because she had cancer anyway.
Today she is having the port removed, which effectively bookends the active treatment of her cancer and closes that chapter of her life, and she was terrified to go under.

I suppose taken as a whole that's reassuring, but it breaks my heart to see her let her guard down and be so vulnerable.

She should be awake soon, looking forward to putting all of this behind us for good. Bigger and brighter things coming.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:48 pm

:thumb:

Godspeed mrs. dodint on a cancer-free life

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Godspeed mrs. dodint on a cancer-free life

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:25 pm

Thanks, she's doing well and we are out to lunch already. They move quick.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Awesome! The wonders of modern medicine :thumb:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Sounds like all those prayers were heard. GOD IS GREAT!!!!
;) Glad to see she's doing well.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:11 pm

This is a monumental day. Raise a glass for Mrs Dodint.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:23 pm

Good stuff.

Congrats!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:01 pm

Cancer sucks... congrats, dude.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Good to hear, dodint. Best to you and the Mrs.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Awesome! Congrats to you and her for kicking the big C's ass!

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:08 pm

That’s good stuff

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:44 pm

Awesome news!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:09 am

Started feeling a little tickle in my throat on Thursday. Friday had a bit of post nasal drip, and then Saturday: boom. Just absolutely destroyed. Phlegm in the chest, runny nose, coughing, sneezing. All that bullsh*t. Hasn't let up since... Yesterday I went to the store to do the grocery shopping. I had to sit in the car for about 5 minutes after to just catch my breath. Hopefully my wife and kid don't get this because it sucks.
Whatever this crap is freaking sucks. I'm still hacking phlegm up from my chest, and my nose is still just a fountain of snot. Started on the 9th... it's the 20th. Go the f*ck away, cold.

Unfortunately it seems my daughter and wife just caught it, so it's going to be at least a week and a half of now taking care of them.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Unfortunately it seems my daughter and wife just caught it, so it's going to be at least a week and a half of now taking care of them.
You already know this, but keep a close eye on your little girl. What we thought was a persistent cold ended up developing into RSV.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:27 pm

I'll be sure to keep an eye out... this one is definitely lasting a while for me, so I'm sure it will for her too.

On the bright side, last weekend I pretty much battled through and did all my typical weekend chores and took Monday off because I was up all through the night and exhausted. So it's not like there was anything extra thrown onto her from me being sick, but I just never heard the end of it from her... "oh. got the man flu?" "Must be that man flu stuff..."

Now the shoe is on the other foot and it's taking everything in my power to not say something. :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Very little of what I'm doing now is applicable to a legal career. I'm basically paying someone to haze me so I can be in their club. It's not a good experience.
Yeah, that sure sounds familiar. Law school is really stressful, and you also have a lot on your plate. My own problems with anxiety manifested right after I graduated from law school and took the bar. I kept it together through the bar exam, but it wasn't too long afterwards that I really started to have strong anxiety that progressed to panic attacks. I was in pretty bad shape for at least six months or so. In my case, medication really helped, and I was much better on medication once I sought out treatment. Don't be hesitant to seek out appropriate treatment.
It's good that you recognized it and worked through it. It's interesting to hear that you had such an issue AFTER the bar. Most of us seem to view that as the last great hurdle on this track. Searching for legal employment is its own monster but it's not quite structured in the same was as degree completion and bar certification is.

As an aside, this is my business law semester and given I have three other business/finance degrees it's been incredibly easy. They're teaching basic community college level accounting and I've been breezing through it. This is the best semester I've had so far by a long margin. I'm three weeks in and not sweating it at all; a nice change of pace.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:41 pm

It's good that you recognized it and worked through it. It's interesting to hear that you had such an issue AFTER the bar. Most of us seem to view that as the last great hurdle on this track. Searching for legal employment is its own monster but it's not quite structured in the same was as degree completion and bar certification is.
I think it was the prospect of job searching. Among other things, I've realized that my anxiety is triggered by things that I don't know how to do or that I haven't done before. It can be something that seems completely innocuous. For example, I actually experienced a lot of anxiety before I went on vacation to Japan a couple years ago because I had never before traveled outside of North America, had never been to a non-English-speaking country, etc. I can appreciate the absurdity of getting anxiety over a vacation, but that's what happened. Once I was actually there, the anxiety went away.

I don't think the bar exam bothered me all that much because I'd taken plenty of tests before. I think it was the prospect of job hunting (and the major life change from transitioning to the academic world to the working world) that really first triggered the anxiety.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:49 pm

One of the few things that my school did that I got a lot of value from was organize a meet and greet lunch. The catch being that you were put at a table with an attorney that had a career similar to what the student indicated they would be interested in. I opted to sit with a sole proprietor who came out of law school, formed a partnership, then split off into solo practice. It was basic stuff but I really got a lot out of talking to him about it.

I get what you're saying in a way. I'm very analytical about things, rarely make significant decisions without a ton of research. I spend all day convincing myself that I'm doing the right thing, but sometimes I wake up in the morning with a naked vulnerability where all of my anxiety floods in without the shield of reason to deflect it away. When things get very intense (like when I was deciding to move back to Pittsburgh) I would have the full blown panic attacks I've mentioned before.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:48 pm

Somehow managed to bring a cold back with me from Houston :|

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:34 am

For example, I actually experienced a lot of anxiety before I went on vacation to Japan a couple years ago because I had never before traveled outside of North America, had never been to a non-English-speaking country, etc. I can appreciate the absurdity of getting anxiety over a vacation, but that's what happened. Once I was actually there, the anxiety went away.
The only time this happened to me was in San Sebastián. In terms of non-English countries, I've been to Italy, Japan, Germany (well, the Frankfurt airport), Singapore, and Vietnam, and the first 2/3 of this particular trip was in Catalonia. But when we got to San Sebastián..... the Basque language is like no other language on Earth (certainly nothing in Europe), and being there and getting caught unawares by that oddness frankly shut me down for the first day. It was weird, and because I wasn't expecting it to be weird, I was useless. Never happened to me before or since. But I still get grief over it, so that's fun.