Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:53 pm

Two things.
1.) Get help. No shame in it. It really helps.
2.) Why are you doing something that you hate so much?

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:56 pm

Go talk to someone, dodint. My wife has severe depression and it is no joke.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:01 pm

I see a therapist once a week. At first, I thought there was no way I would possibly have enough stuff to talk about for an hour, and figured every other week at most would be fine. Well, it's eight months later, and even on the days where I honestly don't think I have anything to say, before I know it we've reached the one hour point and I have unloaded a ton of sht off my chest.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:29 pm

Yeah, I don't see any shame in seeking help. I'm just surprised how upset I am by this. This spring was really hard, took lots of school credits, MIL died, settling the estate, buying a second house, remodeling it, etc. Just a ton going on. This fall looks to be a lot tamer but I'm starting out with the same feeling of dread I carried with me for most of last semester. I already have the therapist picked out if I need it, was just hoping not to have to deal with all of that. It took me over a decade to see a doctor of any kind let alone a mental health professional.
I was treated for clinical depression in my teens, there is more going on than just not liking my station in life. But I was fine all summer so I do believe external forces are a larger factor than any chemical imbalance at this point.

meow, I'm not going to law school to be a law student. It's a prerequisite for an eventual career in law, a piece of paper I need in order to sit for the bar exam. Very little of what I'm doing now is applicable to a legal career. I'm basically paying someone to haze me so I can be in their club. It's not a good experience.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:34 pm

Very little of what I'm doing now is applicable to a legal career. I'm basically paying someone to haze me so I can be in their club. It's not a good experience.
Yeah, that sure sounds familiar. Law school is really stressful, and you also have a lot on your plate. My own problems with anxiety manifested right after I graduated from law school and took the bar. I kept it together through the bar exam, but it wasn't too long afterwards that I really started to have strong anxiety that progressed to panic attacks. I was in pretty bad shape for at least six months or so. In my case, medication really helped, and I was much better on medication once I sought out treatment. Don't be hesitant to seek out appropriate treatment.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:48 pm

I played in a beach ultimate tournament at Wildwood this weekend.

My body is/was not happy. The outside of my left ankle is horrendously bruised and swollen and giving me a tingling sensation when I touch above the bone. Pretty sure its sprained, but I don't have any other pain that would be associated with a sprain (tightness or trouble walking).

I broke a blood vessel in my ankle. Didn't know that was a thing.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:31 pm

Ouch.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:38 pm

I see a therapist once a week. At first, I thought there was no way I would possibly have enough stuff to talk about for an hour, and figured every other week at most would be fine. Well, it's eight months later, and even on the days where I honestly don't think I have anything to say, before I know it we've reached the one hour point and I have unloaded a ton of sht off my chest.
Have you and your therapist worked through your commitment issues or are you still working on that?
ZackPickelus WGT

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:13 am

I played in a beach ultimate tournament at Wildwood this weekend.

My body is/was not happy. The outside of my left ankle is horrendously bruised and swollen and giving me a tingling sensation when I touch above the bone. Pretty sure its sprained, but I don't have any other pain that would be associated with a sprain (tightness or trouble walking).

I broke a blood vessel in my ankle. Didn't know that was a thing.
How was Wildwood otherwise? I have some friends in Erie that go out every year but I haven't made the trek.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:30 am

A lot of fun. Also a lot of sun. I may also know some of your Erie friends.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:46 pm

Have you and your therapist worked through your commitment issues or are you still working on that?
ZackPickelus WGT
I'm back in the saddle...hot damn how much money have you spent on this game out of curiosity? :lol:

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:32 pm

I'm back in the saddle...hot damn how much money have you spent on this game out of curiosity? :lol:
I'd reckon at least a hundred bucks. The new set of 'irons' I just bought were 22.00$ Right before that was a Cleveleand 640 wedge for 16.00$
:oops:
But... I haven't played at all in about 2 weeks...been busy

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Honestly I'm getting so much enjoyment out of this game I can see it being worth it. Are any of the free credit offers even worth it? The surveys maybe?

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Allergies have been kicking my ass the past couple days.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:11 am

Started feeling a little tickle in my throat on Thursday. Friday had a bit of post nasal drip, and then Saturday: boom. Just absolutely destroyed. Phlegm in the chest, runny nose, coughing, sneezing. All that bullsh*t. Hasn't let up since... Yesterday I went to the store to do the grocery shopping. I had to sit in the car for about 5 minutes after to just catch my breath. Hopefully my wife and kid don't get this because it sucks.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Started feeling a little tickle in my throat on Thursday. Friday had a bit of post nasal drip, and then Saturday: boom. Just absolutely destroyed. Phlegm in the chest, runny nose, coughing, sneezing. All that bullsh*t. Hasn't let up since... Yesterday I went to the store to do the grocery shopping. I had to sit in the car for about 5 minutes after to just catch my breath. Hopefully my wife and kid don't get this because it sucks.
Didn't your daughter just start day care recently? I thought? Or maybe I am thinking of someone else. In any event, just wait until that starts.

It's always scary being sick when you have a little one.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:37 pm

Yeah. She did. I hate having to take a pto day just for me, but I wouldn’t have made it through the day feeling like this. Maybe tomorrow I’ll just get hopped up on DayQuil and try to make it through if it’s not gone by then.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:43 pm

I’m anti-antibiotics, but I now take them when I get sick because I want to shorten my window of contagiousness. Once our daughter is a bit older, I’ll go back to never going to the doctor for a cold

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Yeah. She did. I hate having to take a pto day just for me, but I wouldn’t have made it through the day feeling like this. Maybe tomorrow I’ll just get hopped up on DayQuil and try to make it through if it’s not gone by then.
Yeah dude...whenever our little one started day care, I went through a period where I was constantly getting those nagging colds, sinus infections, etc. On the flip side, she will be 5 in October and I rarely get even a minor ailment (knock on wood).

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:49 am

About a week and a half ago, I was chasing my daughter through the house. I went to go up the stairs, and (wearing socks), my feet slipped on the first step and I landed awkwardly chest first on one of the steps. It was a very weird feeling (not painful, but not comfortable). I didn't think much of it after that.

Over the last several days, I've noticed that the pain has gotten a bit worse....nothing that is inhibiting my breathing, but it is a sharp pain whenever I cough, sneeze, or move a certain way. I think it might just be a minor bruised rib, but my wife is flying out of town on Friday and wants me to get it checked out before she goes since I'll be alone with my daughter. Off to urgent care I go...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:53 am

bruised your mammaries

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:58 am

Perhaps you need one of those D’Lo Brown chest protectors.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:14 am

Perhaps you need one of those D’Lo Brown chest protectors.
:thumb: :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Don't cough, sneeze, or move a certain way then.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:56 pm

Don't cough, sneeze, or move a certain way then.
:thumb:

Honestly I think I'm fine but if my wife wants me to go get a Chest X-Ray I'll do it. Who knows, maybe I will even get lucky and get some sweet medicine.