Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:19 pm

My diet is sh*t, I don't take supplements and don't do any training and I rarely get sick. Farm boy immunity.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:30 pm

I can't catch a break this year.

I've been almost the perfect example of health. I have allergies and maybe the yearly cold or sinus infection, but until this near it's never been much to write home about.

I just got diagnosed with **** shingles, after being diagnosed with pneumonia earlier in the year. I'm 25. How the **** does that happen?
Not joking when I ask, but: do you have any friends that are anti-vaxxer parents? I wonder if shingles cases will rise along with other typically avoidable stuff.
You can't catch shingles. It's not contagious. You can catch chicken pox FROM shingles, however.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:34 pm

I've been almost the perfect example of health. I have allergies and maybe the yearly cold or sinus infection, but until this near it's never been much to write home about.

I just got diagnosed with **** shingles, after being diagnosed with pneumonia earlier in the year. I'm 25. How the **** does that happen?

I had a buddy that got shingles at 20. I was unaware you could get it that young until he had it.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:35 pm

Shingles shmingles. When I had my ulcers, I was farting razor blades.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Not joking when I ask, but: do you have any friends that are anti-vaxxer parents? I wonder if shingles cases will rise along with other typically avoidable stuff.
You can't catch shingles. It's not contagious. You can catch chicken pox FROM shingles, however.

Yeah it's the same virus. If you've had chickenpox, chances are you have a high probability that you'll get shingles.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:36 pm

I don't do any of that stuff either. For the vast majority of my 25 years, the worst I've had is a 48 hour flu and chicken pox. Few colds and a sinus infection here and there, but largely healthy. Suddenly this year I get hit with pneumonia (didn't even realize I had it) and now shingles. Apparently those can happen at any time after having the chicken pox virus.

I don't know whether or not I should even go into work tomorrow (I was in today but left early because the rash was bothering me). On one hand, the doctor said I'd be fine as long as I covered it up. On the other hand, I don't want anyone else to get it. On a third hand, I have a scheduled meeting/work appointment for Wednesday morning that I don't want to have to cancel, and I don't get paid if I don't show up.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:24 pm

I hate this state. I swear I've had the 'crud' since I moved here. I just keep going from one weird set of symptoms to another. I was barely sick at all in Wisconsin and I've just been completely bombarded with bullshit since I started here. I just got over what I assume was a case of strep, and now right when I should be feeling great I have a stye on my right eyelid and my sinuses on that side of my face are going haywire.

It has to be a bus. I can't think of a more fertile breeding ground for the ills of humanity than that **** bus.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:48 pm

I don't do any of that stuff either. For the vast majority of my 25 years, the worst I've had is a 48 hour flu and chicken pox. Few colds and a sinus infection here and there, but largely healthy. Suddenly this year I get hit with pneumonia (didn't even realize I had it) and now shingles. Apparently those can happen at any time after having the chicken pox virus.

I don't know whether or not I should even go into work tomorrow (I was in today but left early because the rash was bothering me). On one hand, the doctor said I'd be fine as long as I covered it up. On the other hand, I don't want anyone else to get it. On a third hand, I have a scheduled meeting/work appointment for Wednesday morning that I don't want to have to cancel, and I don't get paid if I don't show up.
You're getting old. :slug:

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:36 am

I just played my first 2 games of frisbee since my concussion. I'm **** out of shape. I don't think I'm going to be able to walk tomorrow.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:15 am

I just played my first 2 games of frisbee since my concussion. I'm **** out of shape. I don't think I'm going to be able to walk tomorrow.
You'd be surprised.

I went to the gym today for the first time in ages and hit a 10kg personal record on my c&j.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:50 pm

Mrs. Franchise found out today that she has lupus which is an autoimmune disease. 95% of those affected are women 18-44 which she's on the far end of. In hindsight she may have had symptoms starting years ago, been treated for other other things and had the symptoms go away.

I know they say don't plug your systems into WebMD or something and worry about what comes back, but based on that she asked the Doc if it could be lupus and would not have been tested otherwise.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Mrs. Franchise found out today that she has lupus which is an autoimmune disease. 95% of those affected are women 18-44 which she's on the far end of. In hindsight she may have had symptoms starting years ago, been treated for other other things and had the symptoms go away.

I know they say don't plug your systems into WebMD or something and worry about what comes back, but based on that she asked the Doc if it could be lupus and would not have been tested otherwise.
It's a strong possibility that I have lupus. Tif's mom has it also. She's in good company.

What were her key symptoms, if you don't mind me asking?

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:10 pm

It's a strong possibility that I have lupus. Tif's mom has it also. She's in good company.

What were her key symptoms, if you don't mind me asking?
Prinarily, pain and swelling in her knees/ankles/feet possibly related to stress in the fall, anemia, headaches and fatigue. She has had a problem with headaches/fatigue in the past more often than average but not to the point of further testing.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Had my first surgical procedure ever: an abscess that needed to be removed. The needle into it was bad, but it was worse when they cut into a part that wasn't numbed up.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:44 pm

Been sick since October and finally diagnosed (after a few rounds of "maybe it's cancer" scare tests): infectious mononucleosis.

Trust me, you do not want this...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Is that viral or bacterial?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:52 pm

Mono is viral---Epstein-Barr IIRC

That's no good columbia. Most people that get mono get it as kids...from my understanding, it can be much more serious for people over 40. Get well soon.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Hmmm, so is there a course of action as far as medication is concerned or is it just let it run its course kind of thing?

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:15 pm

Mono is viral---Epstein-Barr IIRC

That's no good columbia. Most people that get mono get it as kids...from my understanding, it can be much more serious for people over 40. Get well soon.
Danke. On prednisone for the symptoms (as of 10 minutes ago) and seeing doctor on Wednesday. It is indeed viral, so just gotta hang through it for ??? time.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:57 am

I've been fortunate to not have too many health issues and a pretty good immune system, but last night I was experiencing some sort of stomach bug. IMO the two worst things in life (that I've experienced) are 1. Strep 2. Vomiting. And I don't even want to think about the two put together.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:00 am

Last dose of Prednisone this AM. I would recommend NOT ever taking that drug. It's sort of helped, but feeling like you've have 8!cups of coffee and 8 shots of vodka at the same time is unpleasant. Puked up my lunch on Thursday from the speedy effects.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:54 am

Last dose of Prednisone this AM. I would recommend NOT ever taking that drug. It's sort of helped, but feeling like you've have 8!cups of coffee and 8 shots of vodka at the same time is unpleasant. Puked up my lunch on Thursday from the speedy effects.
I looooooove steroids. My whole body feels like a million bucks. But I have inflammation issues so it sort of just brings me back to neutral.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:04 am

I looooooove steroids. My whole body feels like a million bucks. But I have inflammation issues so it sort of just brings me back to neutral.
The wiping out your intestinal flora is another effect. Ive spent more than time on the Can than @NAN this week. Bleh.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:12 pm

Eat a lot of probiotic yogurt.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:07 am

Only was prescribed once (and it was also Prednisone) but I had the same feeling as shmenguin. Felt invincible.