Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:01 pm

Bruh

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:15 am

MRIs where you have to lay on your stomach for 20+ minutes are excruciating. Both the lower back and the foot they were imaging started cramping toward the end.

Oh, and I found out it was a Grade 2 sprain in my big toe area. Kinda surprised it still showed after 6 weeks.

Out of the boot as of Friday, but now have a carbon fiber insole for my shoes and a follow-up with a podiatrist in August. I'm going to be dumb and try to run and or golf with the insole. I'm starting to get cabin fever not being able to do things.

Who would've thought something as innocuous as trying not to slip on a tee box would lead to a 2+ month injury.

The carbon fiber insole is a game changer. In the last 4 days I've skated, played dek hockey, and hit golf balls. Only issues I've had was from changing direction while running/skating (the boot hits the sore spot). Feels like a cheat code for the golf swing and transferring weight.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:08 pm

And now I'm back on crutches. 40 days and back to square one. Cool.
Golf outing tomorrow. Will most likely just ride around in the cart and watch. Fun.

Kane

Postby Kane » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:10 pm

Drink many beers.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:29 pm

That sucks, dodint.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:32 pm

Damn dude sorry to hear that

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:36 pm

Just sucks. I think I reaggravated it climbing in and out of my kayak. That awkward straddle squat you do. So simple and innocent but completely set me back.

I have been using the last month to lose weight, shed 10lbs so far. But it is looking real tough to keep it up if I can't do ANYTHING. Suckass summer, this.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:53 pm

I'm also waiting for the other shoe to drop (or knee to fold) on an injury I had/have. Was playing soccer about 2 months ago, jumped up for a ball, came down completely upright on my left leg (i.e. no bend), so of course the knee buckled and I had instant pain. But as I tested it out right then and there, I was able to jump and run with no pain, so, like an idiot, I figured, huh must've been a weird tweak and I'm good to go. Of course a couple minutes later the pain resurfaces and I have a very minor limp.

Based off half-assed online research it seemed to me like I hyperextended the knee. I just did rest (+ walking cane) for a few weeks while wearing a compression sleeve. Just his past week I gave it a go for the first time in a game, and it seemed to hold up okay, but now I can't tell this week if it's been kind of bugging me or if it's just all in my head. I still can't aggressively shake / "whip" my left leg without feeling knee pain, so I know it's not 100% yet, but it doesn't seem detrimental to running or anything else atm.

I'm also not yet ready to give up the active sports life, so, hopefully I'm still progressing and not causing any additional harm.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:30 pm

"One you turn 30 you no longer get injuries, just small permanent disabilities."

- Kári Gunnarsson

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:59 pm

Not sure if you are a gym guy, @meecrofilm, but I have a somewhat similar story. For my leg press and leg extension, the weight my muscles can do has surpassed the weight my tendons can take. I was getting bad knee pain after lifting. I did some research and found out that holding a leg extension with your legs parallel to the ground strengths the tendons and ligaments of your knee. Apparently my patella tendon is a dodint and needs beefed up

Kane

Postby Kane » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:08 am

Better than going full flamingo.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:16 pm

Not sure if you are a gym guy, @meecrofilm, but I have a somewhat similar story. For my leg press and leg extension, the weight my muscles can do has surpassed the weight my tendons can take. I was getting bad knee pain after lifting. I did some research and found out that holding a leg extension with your legs parallel to the ground strengths the tendons and ligaments of your knee. Apparently my patella tendon is a dodint and needs beefed up
I used to be through college and a couple years after. Now I just do at-home stuff like abs and lunges + squats without weights. But fatigue could've been an issue for why I **** up the landing, as I was just a couple of months in to adding soccer on top of dek hockey, and it happened towards the end of a game where I was pretty exhausted.

I did look up some patella exercises, many of which look like they overlap with knee hyperextension therapy, so, I should be covered either way if I start adding those in. :thumb:

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:30 pm

I may have been a bit premature in my whinging. I did reaggravate my Achilles, but I didn't involve my calf this time. So after a few days the swelling went down and I'm back to where I was a week ago. So I'm not reset back the full 40 days, just back to where I was before tweaking it getting into the kayak. Off crutches and able to 'walk' at a slow pace.

I thought for sure I was going to be laid up for at least two weeks after golfing on Tuesday, but, nope. Human body is weird.

And I also noticed the range of motion for pedaling my Peloton doesn't involve my Achilles, probably because there isn't weight being placed on the heel, so I should probably restart my Peloton membership and start doing that to get some cardio in. I probably can't walk around in cleats, though, so I'll have to be careful with that.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:25 am

threw my back out yesterday doing nothing but bending over to pack a bag. my chiropractor is out of town until Wednesday.
the pain is pretty excruciating. I forced myself to get up and go to work today because it's better than sitting on the couch all day.
feel free to share anything that's worked for relieving the pain.

Kane

Postby Kane » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:30 am

Don't be old.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:32 am

Don't be old.
too late.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:07 pm

I was taking out the trash from the litter in the basement, and something razor sharp must have been in it, because it sliced my calf open. One tetanus shot and 8 staples later and I’m all set. More annoyed that I have to go back in a week go have them removed.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:10 pm

The hornet sting on my shin hurt for maybe 30 minutes afterwards and then switched to itching like the world's worst mosquito bite, and it's been like that for days. Argh.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:19 pm

I was taking out the trash from the litter in the basement, and something razor sharp must have been in it, because it sliced my calf open. One tetanus shot and 8 staples later and I’m all set. More annoyed that I have to go back in a week go have them removed.
What do you think it was?

Much blood loss?

On the bright side, maybe you'll get a cool scar out of it.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:20 pm

Chicks dig scars.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:21 pm

What do you think it was?

Much blood loss?

On the bright side, maybe you'll get a cool scar out of it.
I honestly don’t know. It was a very clean cut, razor straight, so maybe a piece of sheet metal? I can’t recall if I threw away something recently, so who knows. Yeah, bled a lot at first.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:02 pm

The hornet sting on my shin hurt for maybe 30 minutes afterwards and then switched to itching like the world's worst mosquito bite, and it's been like that for days. Argh.
That's a brutal spot. Sorry.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:03 pm

Damn @NTP66 good luck man.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:05 pm

It’s just a flesh wound!

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:08 pm