Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Got an 800 dollar bill for my son's ear tube surgery. Funny thing is I tried to pay it online and can't... Because it's in his name. He's 1 year old.

I'm so tempted to not even pay it. Let them send it to collections and attempt to get money off my 1 year old son. Lol

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:23 am

Source of the post Got an 800 dollar bill for my son's ear tube surgery.
I received a $1,300 bill for my colonoscopy/endoscopy. There were at least 3 different people in each of the pre-op, op, and post-op getting paid. Not including the $13,000 hospital fee for the 1.5 hours I was there.

Thank God I have insurance but this is absolutely ridiculous.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:04 am

Source of the post Got an 800 dollar bill for my son's ear tube surgery.
I received a $1,300 bill for my colonoscopy/endoscopy. There were at least 3 different people in each of the pre-op, op, and post-op getting paid. Not including the $13,000 hospital fee for the 1.5 hours I was there.

Thank God I have insurance but this is absolutely ridiculous.
Oh yeah, it's a crock. I could go on and on. The surgery itself was like $918. Then the anesthesia another $725. By my count, that's $200 per minute, as it took around 8 minutes.

Edit, actually I missed one claim completely.

$2,500 for the 'recovery room'
$1274 for the Anesthesia Service (?)
$1256 for operating room service
$250 for the medications (I am pretty sure they gave him a childrens motrin lolol)
$30 for 'pharmacy service'

This is why insurance is ridiculous.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:40 am

Insurance and doctors/hospitals are both to blame. That Time magazine article a few years ago called "Bitter Pill" was a great look into the industry and how big of a crock it is.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:48 am

@NTP66 - I'll be interested to hear what the endo says. I would think if you needed a root canal, the biting down would hurt. Just my 2 cents as a 4 time root canal vet. If they say you don't need one - what's the next step? ENT?
Pain started to recede a few hours after the root canal, and as of this morning I actually feel okay. Still a little pressure sensitivity with the front tooth, but I expect that to go away soon. I'm still keeping my endo appointment tomorrow to see what they say about the molar area.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:56 pm

@NTP66 - I'll be interested to hear what the endo says. I would think if you needed a root canal, the biting down would hurt. Just my 2 cents as a 4 time root canal vet. If they say you don't need one - what's the next step? ENT?
Pain started to recede a few hours after the root canal, and as of this morning I actually feel okay. Still a little pressure sensitivity with the front tooth, but I expect that to go away soon. I'm still keeping my endo appointment tomorrow to see what they say about the molar area.
Sitrep?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Definitely not strep. I haven't had any actual symptoms of a sinus infection, either, which was the weird part.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:21 pm

Definitely not strep. I haven't had any actual symptoms of a sinus infection, either, which was the weird part.
Not strep, "sitrep" - meaning, "situation report" - aka what's the what? Did you see the endo?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:32 pm

:lol: I’ve never seen that before. I actually cancelled my appointment because I had so much stuff to catch up this morning, and I have been feeling so much better. Hoping that it doesn’t come back to bite me, but my normal dentist didn’t think it was necessary, either.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:02 pm

I’ll keep my fingers crossed! Glad you’re feeling better.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:48 am

For anyone that missed it a few weeks ago in the Randomness thread, my wife was diagnosed with cancer (again) and I mentioned I would follow-up when all the testing was complete.

There was some thought that it had spread from her chest wall into her liver, but fortunately her last diagnostic scan came back yesterday and it appears to be contained just to the detected lump in her chest wall. After a bone scan, ultrasound of various areas, general MRI, and an MRI specific to her liver everything seems clear, even the lymph nodes in the immediate area of her mass are fine. All great news.

We're waiting now to line up a surgeon and have it removed. Then it's chemotherapy and radiation for the next few months. Despite the good news my wife is pretty sullen and angry because her oncologist has decided to change course and give her a different chemo drug. She was supposed to take oral chemo, which is pretty low impact, doesn't make your hair fall out, and you don't have to invest a lot of time in taking it. Now the doctor wants to put her on the same IV chemo drug she had in 2013, which made her go bald and gave her a really, really hard time with joint pain. They claim to have fixed the joint pain issue, she just had to inject herself with a drug once a day for 5 days during each chemo administration cycle. Our hope is that we can get good results from the surgery in a few weeks and then maybe take the less invasive chemotherapy to help her maintain an optimal quality of life.

Overall things are working out in a positive way, we just have some steep challenges in the next few months. She's going to have to quit school or work, or both, which is a huge mental setback. It also derails some of the other life goals for a year or two, such as renovating our country house, establishing my law firm, and building race cars. But, such is life, maybe we could both use a year of down time. I'm going to sell the Delorean to make things more comfortable for us so we don't have to sacrifice too much. I'm still gunning for that promotion, with her support, and taking the bar exam in February so my plate is still pretty full.

Thanks again to everyone for their kind words.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:50 am

That's great news, dodint. I'm hoping for the best for the two of you. :thumb:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:51 am

For anyone that missed it a few weeks ago in the Randomness thread, my wife was diagnosed with cancer (again) and I mentioned I would follow-up when all the testing was complete.

There was some thought that it had spread from her chest wall into her liver, but fortunately her last diagnostic scan came back yesterday and it appears to be contained just to the detected lump in her chest wall. After a bone scan, ultrasound of various areas, general MRI, and an MRI specific to her liver everything seems clear, even the lymph nodes in the immediate area of her mass are fine. All great news.

We're waiting now to line up a surgeon and have it removed. Then it's chemotherapy and radiation for the next few months. Despite the good news my wife is pretty sullen and angry because her oncologist has decided to change course and give her a different chemo drug. She was supposed to take oral chemo, which is pretty low impact, doesn't make your hair fall out, and you don't have to invest a lot of time in taking it. Now the doctor wants to put her on the same IV chemo drug she had in 2013, which made her go bald and gave her a really, really hard time with joint pain. They claim to have fixed the joint pain issue, she just had to inject herself with a drug once a day for 5 days during each chemo administration cycle. Our hope is that we can get good results from the surgery in a few weeks and then maybe take the less invasive chemotherapy to help her maintain an optimal quality of life.

Overall things are working out in a positive way, we just have some steep challenges in the next few months. She's going to have to quit school or work, or both, which is a huge mental setback. It also derails some of the other life goals for a year or two, such as renovating our country house, establishing my law firm, and building race cars. But, such is life, maybe we could both use a year of down time. I'm going to sell the Delorean to make things more comfortable for us so we don't have to sacrifice too much. I'm still gunning for that promotion, with her support, and taking the bar exam in February so my plate is still pretty full.

Good to hear about mrs. dodint. :thumb:

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 am

All things considered I'm glad you both had some "good" news and hope the chemo doesn't kick her too hard. F'ing cancer. :(

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:23 am

Good to hear dodint. All the other life goals can take a back seat to giving your wife some time to heal and enjoy life to the fullest. Here's to a quick recovery

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:28 am

Good to hear about mrs. dodint. :thumb:
:thumb:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:13 pm

Great to hear dodint. We'll take all the good news we can get.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:14 pm

Cancer is the worst. Glad to hear some good news there.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:35 pm

Good to hear dodint. Hoping she can go with the less intense chemo soon.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:38 pm

Great news!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:56 pm

I just had the most painful dental cleaning of my life. The hygienist must have thought I kicked her puppy or something, because it felt like she was carving her initials into each and every one of my teeth. I'd also like to know how a drop of water will hurt a teeth, but somebody scraping your teeth for 20 minutes straight with a stainless steel pick of death does no harm.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:59 pm

Jaconski?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:00 pm

I had to Google that name. I take it you've had a similar experience with that dentist?

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:01 pm

One of their hygienists is really thorough. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:02 pm

This was so rough that I'm going to schedule a morning visit for my next check up to avoid her. :lol: