Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:37 pm

I'm in something if a coverage blackout right now. Don't have COBRA stuff yet, and Mrs Tif's insurer has twice refused to pay claims on my medical stuff because I needed to go through my in employer first (never minding the fact that both instances were when I was between jobs).

On the bright side, the fever is back this morning, and I feel like I've been stabbed in the back just above my pelvis with an icepick and someone is playing gear shift with it.

Huzzah!

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Dude, just go to the **** hospital.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:40 pm

I'm in something if a coverage blackout right now. Don't have COBRA stuff yet, and Mrs Tif's insurer has twice refused to pay claims on my medical stuff because I needed to go through my in employer first (never minding the fact that both instances were when I was between jobs).

On the bright side, the fever is back this morning, and I feel like I've been stabbed in the back just above my pelvis with an icepick and someone is playing gear shift with it.

Huzzah!
Just go to the doctor man.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:08 pm

So I'm a month into (forcing) myself to wear my CPAP for real this time, and I've successfully kept it on for 13 days of 27. Surprised I haven't been scolded yet by the company providing it, as I was to have 21/30. It's getting slightly easier to wear. But still wakes me up almost nightly and definitely does not make me feel any more refreshed in the morning. So looking for feedback - will I ever feel more refreshed? And secondly, any input on other nasal masks I should try? I have a Fisker Paykel Brevida right now and it works pretty well, but my only complaint is having the hose smack dab in the middle of my face. I was thinking of asking to try a REspironics Dreamweaver next.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:11 pm

My wife said something to me this weekend that took me a bit by surprise. She said that since I've lost some weight, I don't snore at all anymore. I know I'm sleeping better because I'm not as tired throughout the day as I typically am, but she said it's been a huge difference between now and when I heavier with the duration and decibel level of the snoring at night.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:25 pm

So I'm a month into (forcing) myself to wear my CPAP for real this time, and I've successfully kept it on for 13 days of 27. Surprised I haven't been scolded yet by the company providing it, as I was to have 21/30. It's getting slightly easier to wear. But still wakes me up almost nightly and definitely does not make me feel any more refreshed in the morning. So looking for feedback - will I ever feel more refreshed? And secondly, any input on other nasal masks I should try? I have a Fisker Paykel Brevida right now and it works pretty well, but my only complaint is having the hose smack dab in the middle of my face. I was thinking of asking to try a REspironics Dreamweaver next.
Note: I work for Respironics.

With that said the Dreamwear masks we make are really good. Up until that mask we lagged behind in masks in general they were not as good as the others. I still think our machines are head and shoulders above the competition but I am a bit biased.

You will get more used to it as time goes on. It generally takes a few months to really get used to wearing one from the people I've talked to.

Eventually if you don't hit your 21/30 days of compliance(usually by day 90) they will take the machine back or make you pay out of pocket for it cause the DME won't get reimbursed if you aren't wearing it and they have the proof(via their software) that you are actually wearing it at least 4 hours a night.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:33 am

I agree regarding the machine. I have a respironics machine and it is much better than the resmed I used to use.

I'm pretty sure mine is 6 hours a night and that's why Im struggling. I usually have only 7 hours of sleep nightly.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:36 am

Has tif gone to the dr yet?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:36 am

How did you know to get a sleep study?

I'm thinking I probably should have one, as both parents and younger brother use various types of CPAP machines. I've been waking up 1-2 a night randomly for a few months or close to a year. I usually fall back asleep though, and my wife informs me that I do not toss and turn much.

I'm trying to exercise more and lose a few pounds to see if that helps - my doctor told me years ago that anyone overweight to obese automatically suffers from sleep apnea.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:42 am

How did you know to get a sleep study?

I'm thinking I probably should have one, as both parents and younger brother use various types of CPAP machines. I've been waking up 1-2 a night randomly for a few months or close to a year. I usually fall back asleep though, and my wife informs me that I do not toss and turn much.

I'm trying to exercise more and lose a few pounds to see if that helps - my doctor told me years ago that anyone overweight to obese automatically suffers from sleep apnea.
My wife told me I snore, but I knew I did. Told my Dr, and told her I'm always tired. She suggested I go.
It wasn't cheap. It ate through my whole $1,000 deductible in one fell swoop.
I am hoping it pays off. It's getting slowly better. I'm still dead tired when I wake up, but I was told that may be due to needing pressure adjustments which the sleep dr will make after the first month.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:01 pm

my doctor told me years ago that anyone overweight to obese automatically suffers from sleep apnea.
This is true...being overweight (and especially obese) is the biggest risk factor for sleep apnea. That said, it is hereditary too. My dad was always skinny, and even after I've lost weight, I can snore pretty good if I am sleeping on my back.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Hmm, I'm beginning to suspect that my snoring uptake is connected to gaining 13 pounds over the last year.

I need to hit the gym.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Hit the gym, fatty magoo.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:26 pm

I know, bruh. I know.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:10 pm

Has tif gone to the dr yet?
Not yet.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:46 pm

I'm pretty sure anyone who weighs more than 110 pounds can have sleep apnea

I'm not refuting that I do have it though

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:48 am

I'm pretty sure anyone who weighs more than 110 pounds can have sleep apnea

I'm not refuting that I do have it though
Well of course. Just like anyone that doesn't smoke can get lung cancer. But it is a major risk factor, and your chances of having sleep apnea get exponentially higher as weight goes up. My own snoring was definitely worse when I was 210 versus now at 165.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:17 am

Just like anyone that doesn't smoke can get lung cancer.
Speaking of this, I just learned that the 22 year old autistic son of a colleague was diagnosed with lung cancer. He doesn't smoke, can't work, and lives with his parents. Really awful.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:44 pm

I am suffering from "old man does work" disease.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Finally went to the doctor. Every test related to liver function was in the "Yeah, let's really work on fixing this...." range.. And because of that, I have to get a hepatitis vax. Woohoo.

Also, I was referred to a neurologist and have been diagnosed with something called a 'bi-lateral essential tremor'. Which, I can assure you, is a highly inaccurate name. I'm going for something called an EMG test next week, which the internet tells me can be quite a hoot. It involves electricity and needles stuck into deep muscle tissue. WIN!

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Not your best year.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:54 am

I don't want to get all Eeyore on things, but I'd be lying if I said anything remotely to the contrary.

But my HIV screen came back negative, so at least there's that.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:15 am

Which in SanFran is YUGE!

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:42 pm

**** my ass. This summer 'cold' has been doing laps in my system for like three weeks, hitting different symptoms every few days. Just kill me already. It has to be AIDS, right? Maybe Mono. Argh.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Lyme disease