Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:16 am

:lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:12 am

Scientists May Be Able to Treat Tinnitus With Electronic Music And Tongue Buzzing
People who experience tinnitus might finally have some hope for alleviating their symptoms, after an experimental device that stimulates the tongue was found to ease the condition in a sample of 273 volunteers with a chronic case of it.

The tongue buzzing is combined with a carefully prepared audio stream fed through headphones, sounding a little like ambient electronic music. The combined treatment caused an improvement in symptoms for 86 percent of the participants, with an average drop of around 14 points on a tinnitus severity ranking scored from 1 to 100.

Even better, the improvements lasted for up to a year for many of the individuals involved. These are promising signs for the 10-15 percent of people worldwide who live with the phantom sounds and ringing ears caused by tinnitus.
I've had tinnitus for a few years now, and while I've been able to cope with it, I would pay whatever the device costs to be able to get rid of it entirely. I hope that it receives FDA approval quickly.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:04 am

I've never been diagnosed with tinnitus, but I bet I have it. Had a concussion at the age of 4 which I believe brought about the ringing in my ears. It definitely causes my hearing to be below average, so I'd give it a shot.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:33 am

One of my ten year old son's friends was diagnosed with aggressive forms of cancer. He hadn't been feeling well (sick to the stomach) and his shoulder was sore. He plays travel baseball, so his parents thought the shoulder was from overuse. They took him to the doctor about the stomach pain and after a few days of tests, they found three large masses - lower GI, shoulder, and his back.

It makes me ill thinking about what that family is going through. Trying to work and live a normal life, while your son goes through surgeries and chemo at a children's hospital two hours away.

And then the fundraisers. All of the fundraisers to pay for it all. Having to put on a happy face for everyone. I don't know if I could do it. I really don't.
Woke up this morning to find out this kid, who had been back in school and playing baseball, passed away early this morning. 13 years old. **** cancer, **** 2020.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:50 am

Sorry to hear DG. F cancer

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:51 am

That's awful. :(

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:54 am

I couldn't even imagine going through something like that. Just awful.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:00 am

So terrible.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:31 am

Awful. :(

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:51 am

Oh, man..... :sad:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:27 am

Yeah, it’s awful. The mom gets to plan her son’s funeral today. I can’t even imagine...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:58 pm

After a full week of tooth pain, my dentist referred me to an endodontist to perform a root canal. Whatever, get these **** nerves out of that tooth ASAP.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:59 pm

First night with a CPAP last night. It wasn't terrible. It also showed I didn't even come close to reaching sleep apnea last night. If that continues I'll need to go in for an in person sleep study to determine if my take home results were accurate. The take home kit is way more invasive than the CPAP which could be why I barely slept when I had it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:07 pm

First night with a CPAP last night. It wasn't terrible. It also showed I didn't even come close to reaching sleep apnea last night. If that continues I'll need to go in for an in person sleep study to determine if my take home results were accurate. The take home kit is way more invasive than the CPAP which could be why I barely slept when I had it.
Really? The home sleep apnea kit I used was very lightweight and I didn't even really notice it.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:17 pm

It was light weight but the wires were all over the place. The CPAP is fantastic I'm that regard. One hose and its on a swivel and allows me to side sleep.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:20 pm

It was light weight but the wires were all over the place. The CPAP is fantastic I'm that regard. One hose and its on a swivel and allows me to side sleep.
Respironics or Resmed machine?

*I'm not going to hate you based on what you have. :lol:

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:21 pm

Dream Wear? It's got a humidifier on it.

Sorry. I'm new lol

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:26 pm

Sorry. I'm new lol
Dreamwear is a Philips/Respironics mask. My company thanks you for your contributions. :lol:

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Sorry. I'm new lol
Dreamwear is a Philips/Respironics mask. My company thanks you for your contributions. :lol:
Your company makes a rather impressive machine! Quiet, non invasive. Bulky but not terrible.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:38 pm

Sorry. I'm new lol
Your company makes a rather impressive machine! Quiet, non invasive. Bulky but not terrible.
They have come a long way from where they were even when I started 8 years ago. They used to be loud behemoths. The masks have gotten way better as well. It's still an adjustment to use one, but it's not as tough as it used to be with the options now.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:53 pm

Both parents and my younger brother use CPAP, all different types and brands. We stayed with my parents back in January and it sounded like dueling Darth Vaders coming from their bedroom. :shock:

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:57 pm

Yeah if you're a mouth breather you need to use one of the darth vader masks or a strap to keep your mouth closed. Thankfully I do not need that.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:17 pm

Yeah if you're a mouth breather you need to use one of the darth vader masks or a strap to keep your mouth closed. Thankfully I do not need that.
Still smoking cigarettes? Mine went away when I quit.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:49 pm

Still smoking cigarettes? Mine went away when I quit.
I've heard it never goes away.

27 cigarettes in the last 42 days. Not quit but getting there...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:14 pm

Both parents and my younger brother use CPAP, all different types and brands. We stayed with my parents back in January and it sounded like dueling Darth Vaders coming from their bedroom. :shock:
Maybe they were...ya know....

Ya know...?