Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 31, 2019 11:27 am

I think we're finally out of the woods for cold and flu season with the little one at day care. This last one hit me hard. I had a cough, sinus pressure, runny nose and post nasal drip (the worst...) for about 1.5-2 weeks. The cough and runny nose went away, but the pressure and post nasal drip stayed for about 2 weeks, but only in my left ear/nostril/throat area. It created a really sharp pain when I'd swallow anything... great for dieting, bad for enjoying life.

Went to the doctor yesterday and it was the first time that I've had a medical student run the entire exam, leave, bring the doctor in, and the doctor asks her for a diagnosis and course of action, and then the doctor runs the exact same exam and they compare their thoughts. It was kind of neat. The student nailed it. It's a lot of pressure and fluid build up from a blocked ear tube. No sign of infection, so start with some steroids, and if they don't work, check back in and think about antibiotics just in case it is an infection they can't see. I took my first dose this morning and I'm already feeling much better.

Also, listening in on people's conversations in waiting rooms is fascinating. I had about a half hour wait (I misheard my appointment time as I had my bad ear up to the phone when I called so I could write with my right hand), so I heard about 3 or 4 people sit and chat. People are weird.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri May 31, 2019 12:19 pm

I hope so re: daycare. Our 4 month old has been stuffed up and we've been sucking snot left and right for the past two weeks. Had to do some breathing treatments with him to clear out airways. Luckily he was negative for RSV. My wife and I haven't got anything, but it's not been fun for us even though he acts as if 100% good to go.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 31, 2019 12:44 pm

I hope so re: daycare. Our 4 month old has been stuffed up and we've been sucking snot left and right for the past two weeks. Had to do some breathing treatments with him to clear out airways. Luckily he was negative for RSV. My wife and I haven't got anything, but it's not been fun for us even though he acts as if 100% good to go.
That's good re: RSV...that was a three night hospital stay I wouldn't wish on anyone.

As excited as I am about having our son, going through the whole gauntlet of illnesses in the first couple years at daycare I am not looking forward to.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:10 pm

Just when you think you're out of the cold season woods, a summer cold hits your school/kid.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:30 pm

my permanent crown put on with temporary cement (because my gums were inflamed) just came off and my dentist is booked up until Wednesday, when my original appointment time is. :x

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:48 pm

my permanent crown put on with temporary cement (because my gums were inflamed) just came off and my dentist is booked up until Wednesday, when my original appointment time is. :x
Go to your local CVS, RiteAid, Walgreens and get some "Den-Temp" and put it over the exposed area.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:53 pm

Go to your local CVS, RiteAid, Walgreens and get some "Den-Temp" and put it over the exposed area.
This. Worked well for me for a few days before I could see a dentist.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:41 pm

I might just do that. it's already...uncomfortable. :(

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:18 pm

1) Go to urgent care.
2) Complain about pain.
3) ?????
4)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:31 am

My primary care doctor being 30+ minutes late to an early appointment is the reason why most avoid going to the doctor in the first place. So god damn frustrating.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:17 pm

FWIW, chainsaw discs for angle grinders are a very, very bad idea.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Did you accidentally post in the wrong thread, or did you cut off a digit?

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Spent 4 hours in the ER. Two wounds, one that was impossible to stitch because the skin was basically hamburger.

That damn thing kicked back and I didn't have a chance. Didn't even realize I was cut in two places until I was trying to stop the bleeding on the first.
Last edited by AuthorTony on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:25 pm

So as a work from home dad I have my 12 year old daughter with me all summer. Still seeing chiropractor for my back after falling on ice a year and a half ago. While waiting for him I was in a chair with my x ray on a monitor behind me and pointed it out to her. She said “Daddy if We switch chairs will my back be on the screen?”

Funny at first then I thought: X Ray Chair. Hell of an idea.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Ouch, Tony. Could have been worse, though.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:28 pm

It sure could have. I was lucky.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:34 am

My primary care doctor being 30+ minutes late to an early appointment is the reason why most avoid going to the doctor in the first place. So god damn frustrating.
that really annoys me, especially since my doctor asks patients to be there 15 minutes early. recently my dentist made me wait 40 minutes. they did at least give me 2 Starbucks cards as a peace offering. :fist:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:39 am

Two Starbucks gift cards aren't nearly enough to delay having somebody repeatedly stick you with a knife for 20 minutes.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Welp, I finally caved and made an appointment for next week at a good chiropractor in the area. I have had chronic lower back pain that is especially exacerbated when I'm sleeping. Last night, I must have been on my back for a prolonged period of time, and then went to roll over around 4:30. The pain actually made me cry out in the middle of the night, and I could not get comfortable after that. It's starting to play hell on my sleep, and it doesn't matter what kind of bed I sleep in.

I'm skeptical about chiros but this one has excellent reviews so I'm giving it a shot.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:16 pm

My wife had a good result from the chiro she went to after her auto accident. I think for acute issues it's productive. It's when you get into the long term therapy stuff that the value may be diminished.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:23 pm

I know lots of chiropractors. there's a big chiro school here in metro ATL and the yankees and Canadians come down here for school and then never leave and also join our hockey league.
different doctors chiropractors have different philosophies of treatment. my chiropractor is big on acute issues. if I throw my back out I drop by her office and she adjusts me and her massage therapist gives me a 10 minute mini-massage and there's no pressure to come back.

my hockey coach also has a practice and my gf has been treated by her for almost 2 years. at first it was multiple times a week but now it's down to twice a month. their treatment is more based around the long-term cause of your pain so they want to fix the root of the problem. they also don't take insurance so I'm far to cheap to see them.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:27 am

Got the bug my wife had last week and that went around the office at work as well. 101.5 fever...achy all over. Hoping it's a 24 hour thing.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Went to my first chiro appointment today. Yeahhh....I don't know. The office was very nice, as was the chiro, and the reviews were good. But there was just something nagging me about the sales pitchy feel to it. Halfway through the appt he scheduled me for a follow up on Monday... I know that's when he is going to show me all of my "subluxations" or whatever and talk about a long term treatment plan.

He even made a comment shortly after I got there... "Oh, looks like you hit your deductible already." I'm sure he loved that.

Thinking I might just duck out and go to an orthopedist instead. Really don't want to get locked into a long thing.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:05 am

First thing my chiro said to me was “your back actually looks really good, don’t ever let anyone tell you that you need some long term treatment plan.” Always tells me come back if I need to. No pressure.

Then I fell and fractured my L1 vertebrae and now have a disc that slips so legit issues. Still no pressure.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:21 am

Yeah, I had a chiro about 20 years ago who wanted to put me on a treatment plan. He and his wife were foundational members of one of these huge non-denominational churches down here where there's a praise band and the preacher wears jeans etc. He was caught diddling his 17 year old babysitter and stealing money from the church a few years ago.

My new chiropractor is excellent. No pressure to develop a plan, just come in when you need to. They also have a massage therapist as part of their office, which is great - get adjusted, then get a massage (which is covered by my health insurance, as it's in a medical office!)