Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:43 am

when I had my achilles issues it was because the tendon was inflamed. they only thing that fixed was putting that foot and leg in a boot for 4 weeks.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:46 am

I asked for a boot from the beginning but no one else would go along with it. :lol:

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:18 pm

I asked for a boot from the beginning but no one else would go along with it. :lol:
you can always buy your own.....

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:28 pm

I could, but I have a bit of a dual issue. The tendon is inflamed and the boot would be great for that. But the calf muscle is also strained and I feel like that's only going to free up with monitored use. I use that fabric brace to make sure that I don't slip and do something catastrophic but I'm feeling very good about using it the way I am.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:50 pm

Can't catch a break with allergic reactions this summer. Got some bug bites on my neck that caused an allergic reaction on my face and caused my one eye to swell pretty bad. Had to email my PCP to call in a steroid (prednisone) to hopefully get that to go down.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:27 pm

MRIs where you have to lay on your stomach for 20+ minutes are excruciating. Both the lower back and the foot they were imaging started cramping toward the end.

Oh, and I found out it was a Grade 2 sprain in my big toe area. Kinda surprised it still showed after 6 weeks.

Out of the boot as of Friday, but now have a carbon fiber insole for my shoes and a follow-up with a podiatrist in August. I'm going to be dumb and try to run and or golf with the insole. I'm starting to get cabin fever not being able to do things.

Who would've thought something as innocuous as trying not to slip on a tee box would lead to a 2+ month injury.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:36 pm

Uhhhhh.

One month gone for me and I am slightly better off than shuffling. No crutches at least.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:54 am

My Dad’s in the middle of a long, slow decline due to Alzheimer’s. Fairly early onset in his early 70s. Mom’s on vacation (long story) and my daughter And I are staying with him this week. So many mixed emotions between just trying to enjoy the time with him, deal with his frustration and anger, and getting to just have a beer and talk to him.

It’s been an exhausting week so far. We went to the county fair tonight and it is a memory I will treasure. He was having a good day and we just walked, talked, and ate a bunch of junk fair food.

Mom does have some folks come in to help during the week but it’s exhausting. I don’t know how she manages. This disease or other forms of dementia affected my Grandfather and all his siblings. My aunt had other mental health issues and passed before she’d have gotten it. I’m hopeful that the genepool has been diluted enough that I can avoid it but I can’t imagine this stage of being aware that you are losing your grip on cognition and while you can slow it they can’t yet stop it.

Sigh.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:15 am

:cry: So sorry to hear that Ronnie.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:31 am

Alzheimer's just sounds so awful, not just for the person who has it, but their entire family, as well. Sorry to hear that, Ronnie.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:19 am

Really sorry to hear that Ronnie...just an awful, awful disease. I'm glad you had a nice night out with him yesterday.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:42 am

Thanks guys. There are good days and bad. We are 1-1-1 good-bad-ok this week. Too early to tell today.

I am learning to redirect him when talking to him after hearing him go on for an hour about the Township on Sunday.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:15 am

Woooo buddy. Got hit with something gnarly. Covid test negative. Runny and stuffy nose. Bit of a cough. Headache. Ear pressure.

Hopefully just a quick cold.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:46 am

Woooo buddy. Got hit with something gnarly. Covid test negative. Runny and stuffy nose. Bit of a cough. Headache. Ear pressure.

There is nothing more pleasant than a probable sinus infection when the temperature is in the 90s with dew points in the mid-70s.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:10 pm

I'm pretty frustrated, to the point that I'm starting to slip into the 'depression' that normally happens in the late winter. My Achilles healed somewhat steadily for about three weeks. And the fourth week I was walking with a mostly normal gait and without pain, I just couldn't 'trot' or 'run' if I wanted. Which was fine, I was ready to take it easy for a few weeks to months to get that rested and well.

I went to a festival last Friday and walked about a mile and a half. I guess that was too **** much because as this week has moved along my condition has worsened each day. Started with a strong ache early in the week and now I have a sharp stabbing pain again. It's god damn exhausting, maybe more mentally than physically. Just knowing the clock reset for this and my tolerance is so small is hugely deflating. Nicest weather of the year and I haven't left my property since Saturday.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:20 pm

same here. 3 tests, all neg but pretty much same symptoms as you.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:50 pm

I’m feeling better as the day goes on, but man… last night and this morning were rough. I’ll chug some DayQuil this evening and head to bed early. Be in tip top shape by tomorrow, hopefully.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:31 pm

i had exactly that and tested positive on day 3 after 2 negatives. I probably wouldn't have kept testing if 2 of the guys I was on a trip with weren't positive

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:34 pm

I keep waiting for that little line but it's not appearing. I've heard some say that some people just don't test positive so I'm pretty much acting like I have it. better safe than sorry.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:31 pm

I swore I had it last weekend but 4 tests (1 PCR) said otherwise. Guess it was some weird new pandemic.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:35 pm

I just had covid in march… not to say I couldn’t get it again, but seems unlikely.

Meh…. Brandon sent me like 10 tests. May as well do another.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:15 pm

I'm pretty frustrated, to the point that I'm starting to slip into the 'depression' that normally happens in the late winter. My Achilles healed somewhat steadily for about three weeks. And the fourth week I was walking with a mostly normal gait and without pain, I just couldn't 'trot' or 'run' if I wanted. Which was fine, I was ready to take it easy for a few weeks to months to get that rested and well.

I went to a festival last Friday and walked about a mile and a half. I guess that was too **** much because as this week has moved along my condition has worsened each day. Started with a strong ache early in the week and now I have a sharp stabbing pain again. It's god damn exhausting, maybe more mentally than physically. Just knowing the clock reset for this and my tolerance is so small is hugely deflating. Nicest weather of the year and I haven't left my property since Saturday.
That would be tremendously frustrating. Best wishes brother.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:17 pm

I'm going to be fit just in time for winter. ;)

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:18 pm

TopGolf will be waiting! :lol:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:59 pm

Winter golf is coming.