Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:18 pm

Yeah. *sniff*
Cash it in now. At your age you're almost done.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:33 pm

Anyone ever deal with meralgia paresthetica? (outer thigh numbness caused by a compressed nerve).

I self diagnosed and have been doing stretches but it doesn't seem to be helping. Thinking it may be time to call a chiropractor
Following.

I've had bullshittery with the IT band in my right leg for like ten years. Feels like someone just punched me mid-leg outside of my thigh............. all day. I think it's related to something with my hips being out of alignment, so may be a tire rotation is in order.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:02 pm

Anyone ever deal with meralgia paresthetica? (outer thigh numbness caused by a compressed nerve).

I self diagnosed and have been doing stretches but it doesn't seem to be helping. Thinking it may be time to call a chiropractor
Following.

I've had bullshittery with the IT band in my right leg for like ten years. Feels like someone just punched me mid-leg outside of my thigh............. all day. I think it's related to something with my hips being out of alignment, so may be a tire rotation is in order.
My problem is I've been to 2 different chiros for treatment for this issue in the last 2 years and neither have actually fixed it...

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:05 pm

Well, they are chiros, so...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:48 pm

Any health updates today?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:56 pm

Yeah, I don't know where else to turn though. Physical therapy? It seems like a neuropathy thing. I don't really think taking like Gabapentin is a good solution either.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:57 pm

Gradual improvement. :thumb:

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:54 am

I had issues with my Psoas (very similar to IT band) back in 2019. some of the most painful issues I'd experienced. when getting up from a chair I'd have to stand there for a minute while the pain ran down my leg. I used a combo of nightly stretches, chiro and massage therapy to move past it.
I still stretch nightly with special focus on the hips.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:07 am

My wife had IT band issues for years. I think it only abated when she stopped running distances greater than 5 miles.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:50 am

My wife spent the entire day in the ER yesterday...woke up with severe abdominal pain at 3 AM yesterday morning, I don't think I have ever seen her in such agony, including childbirth.

We thought it might be her appendix, turns out it was a ruptured cyst. Yet another reason I am thankful not to have a vagina/uterus. I feel awful for her, she is miserable although it is slightly better today.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:36 am

MRIs where you have to lay on your stomach for 20+ minutes are excruciating. Both the lower back and the foot they were imaging started cramping toward the end.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:24 am

My wife spent the entire day in the ER yesterday...woke up with severe abdominal pain at 3 AM yesterday morning, I don't think I have ever seen her in such agony, including childbirth.

We thought it might be her appendix, turns out it was a ruptured cyst. Yet another reason I am thankful not to have a vagina/uterus. I feel awful for her, she is miserable although it is slightly better today.
my 22 year old niece has a cyst her doctor won't remove because it's not big enough yet. she's terrified of how much it'll hurt if/when it ruptures. :scared:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:35 am

So I've had a 6 inch plate and like 20 screws in my leg/ankle area since highschool. Hasn't bothered me ever really, yesterday it felt like the plate was coming off the bone and hurt all day. Wild.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:13 am

my 22 year old niece has a cyst her doctor won't remove because it's not big enough yet. she's terrified of how much it'll hurt if/when it ruptures. :scared:
Your niece should not let a doctor hold her hostage like this.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:28 am

MRIs where you have to lay on your stomach for 20+ minutes are excruciating. Both the lower back and the foot they were imaging started cramping toward the end.

Oh, and I found out it was a Grade 2 sprain in my big toe area. Kinda surprised it still showed after 6 weeks.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:32 am

If you were in the NFL, you'd be week to week. In MLB, you'd be done for the season.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:03 am

And still playing in the NHL with an upper body injury.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 am

Your niece should not let a doctor hold her hostage like this.
she is going to seek a second opinion.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:16 pm

If you were in the NFL, you'd be week to week. In MLB, you'd be done for the season.
If he were an NBA player all the sports network news shows would be running pre-recorded highlight packages as if he died. "Where does [TEAM] go from here without MR25?"

Hockey player would go out next shift and block a shot with that same foot/big toe area.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:18 pm

I'm on the book for a chiro appointment next Thurs 7/11. I found a practice that has offices co-located with local Burke Williams spas, and they offer packages that include massage therapy in conjunction with the chiro adjustments. Yes, please.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:30 pm

I'm on the book for a chiro appointment next Thurs 7/11. I found a practice that has offices co-located with local Burke Williams spas, and they offer packages that include massage therapy in conjunction with the chiro adjustments. Yes, please.
smart setup. my chiro includes a 10 minute mini massage with each adjustment. the same massage therapist that does the mini sees me once a month for a full hour massage.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:25 pm

That's how my last chiro did it, every visit. (He was a sports therapist.) Heat blanket with stim (during which I often nodded off), therapy gun, massage, chiro. Sometimes he'd throw in some loopy treatment like gua sha. It was a hoot. Saw him weekly for like 6 years. This will be my first time doing the combo thing with two providers.

They're staffing the location closest to my house so I have a bit of a commute for these first few appointments. So I'll probably just do the massage thing once a month.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:18 am

Pain levels have come down with the Achilles and it has loosened up some. But I still can't make a normal step. It improves a little each day, at least I can stand on it and take baby steps. When walking I have to choose whether I'm going to slowly shuffle, or point my affected foot down and move at a normal walking pace but with a severe hobble. I don't plan to use the crutch anymore unless I'm walking a long way.

One thing I didn't account for was the impact it would have on my right, unaffected leg. My calf and plantar muscles on the bottom of my foot are working overtime and stressing out in their own way. I had a day on vacation I limped over 5 miles and my right calf was a bag of knots that night.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:52 am

Pain levels have come down with the Achilles and it has loosened up some. But I still can't make a normal step. It improves a little each day, at least I can stand on it and take baby steps. When walking I have to choose whether I'm going to slowly shuffle, or point my affected foot down and move at a normal walking pace but with a severe hobble. I don't plan to use the crutch anymore unless I'm walking a long way.

One thing I didn't account for was the impact it would have on my right, unaffected leg. My calf and plantar muscles on the bottom of my foot are working overtime and stressing out in their own way. I had a day on vacation I limped over 5 miles and my right calf was a bag of knots that night.
Sounds like you should continue using that crutch.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:56 am

Nah. It's never going to loosen up if I don't use it. I'm back home doing the WFH thing so it's not like I'll be logging 5 mile days around museums and stuff. I'll take the crutch if I go to the parade on Monday, etc.

I'm supposed to play a fair bit of golf in July. Will be bummed if I can't get out there. I have a tournament on July 16th so that is my goal.