Gardening/Maintenance Thread

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:38 pm

Everybody knows deer love pepper. They hate cinnamon.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:46 pm

My flowers up front are popping up so the deer ought to be around to eat them any minute now.
I used to have a big deer problem with them eating shrubs and flowers constantly. I tried many things that either did not work or made the outside of my house smell like a garbage dump. I found this stuff at Amazon that has a minty smell and it keeps the deer away. Not sure how, but it works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002D ... UTF8&psc=1
How often do you apply this stuff

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:14 pm

At our new house we have the following mature trees/bushes:

* Peach
* Key lime
* Lemon (which fruit is the size of my fist)
* Orange
* Loquat
* Apple (variety unknown; it was grafted at some point and may be a hybrid)

There are a few un-ID'd trees and saplings that may be avocado, regular lime, nectarine, and apricot. Plus a few unplanted raised beds, for which I'll open the phones for suggestions (at least one will include artichokes).

Basically, I'm now a farmer.

offsides

Postby offsides » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:56 am

My flowers up front are popping up so the deer ought to be around to eat them any minute now.
I used to have a big deer problem with them eating shrubs and flowers constantly. I tried many things that either did not work or made the outside of my house smell like a garbage dump. I found this stuff at Amazon that has a minty smell and it keeps the deer away. Not sure how, but it works.

I spray it every two or three weeks which seems to be enough. I also spray it if I see fresh buds on the flower plants. Deer seem to really like fresh rose buds.

Edit: BTW, I live close to a deer safe zone. It is a cemetery that does not allow any type of deer hunting. I have actually seen people hand feeding deer in the cemetery. I could grow nothing till I found this stuff. I have neighbors with gardens that had to put a fence around it to be able to harvest anything that grows above ground.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:46 pm

I spray it every two or three weeks which seems to be enough. I also spray it if I see fresh buds on the flower plants. Deer seem to really like fresh rose buds.

Edit: BTW, I live close to a deer safe zone. It is a cemetery that does not allow any type of deer hunting. I have actually seen people hand feeding deer in the cemetery. I could grow nothing till I found this stuff. I have neighbors with gardens that had to put a fence around it to be able to harvest anything that grows above ground.
just ordered some of this stuff. hopefully it will protect my ****. do you apply directly to the trees/shrubs?

offsides

Postby offsides » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:02 pm

just ordered some of this stuff. hopefully it will protect my ****. do you apply directly to the trees/shrubs?
Yes, directly on the shrubs and flowers. Not sure if it is the smell or taste the deer hate. Works great for me. Hopefully it will work for you. Let me know how it goes.

LITT

Postby LITT » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:02 pm

Yes, directly on the shrubs and flowers. Not sure if it is the smell or taste the deer hate. Works great for me. Hopefully it will work for you. Let me know how it goes.
Will do. Applying tomorrow. Some of my arborvitae are already getting apple cored

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:15 am

Hola friends.

Looking for a recommendation on a lawn weed killer product. Is Scotts Weed N Feed the gold standard? Is a liquid-based 'Trimec' a better option for just weed control?

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu May 09, 2019 11:29 am

Let the weeds and wildflowers run rampant. It's good for the bee population.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 am

I'm trying to just establish my lawn at this point. Once the grass fills in, I'll stop treating. I don't want a fairway. I just want more grass than weed.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu May 09, 2019 11:35 am

Ortho Weed B Gone Max Plus Crabgrass Control has worked well for me.

LITT

Postby LITT » Thu May 09, 2019 11:40 am

we started using the naturalawn care service this year. my grass is growing 2x the rate of other homes in our neighborhood

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu May 09, 2019 11:44 am

This seems to be doing the trick so far. My wife ordered some. Our hostas just might have a chance!

offsides

Postby offsides » Thu May 09, 2019 12:40 pm

This seems to be doing the trick so far. My wife ordered some. Our hostas just might have a chance!
Thanks for the update. Hope it works out good. :fist:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 09, 2019 1:45 pm

we started using the naturalawn care service this year. my grass is growing 2x the rate of other homes in our neighborhood
my condolences

LITT

Postby LITT » Thu May 09, 2019 1:53 pm

its awful. i cut my grass the same day as my neighbor 2 consecutive weeks and they were commenting how my grass is so much longer than theirs.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Yea I have way too much lawn to pay someone to handle it for me

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu May 09, 2019 2:14 pm

We pay $125 each time for someone to mow our one acre country house lawn. Includes trimming and they take the grass clippings with them.

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri May 10, 2019 10:07 am

Found a new weed in our yard this year called Bittercress. It startled me when I went to pull it. It makes little snapping sounds and spits dried seeds out of it on contact.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri May 10, 2019 10:53 am

Found a new weed in our yard this year called Bittercress. It startled me when I went to pull it. It makes little snapping sounds and spits dried seeds out of it on contact.
Yeah, got to get it before it goes to seed.

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri May 10, 2019 12:34 pm

Too late now. :lol: Besides there is too much of it to seek out, even if I wanted to. I've got half an acre, and it was pretty spread out.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri May 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Too late now. :lol: Besides there is too much of it to seek out, even if I wanted to. I've got half an acre, and it was pretty spread out.
I've got about 1/3 of an acre, and pull all the bittercress by hand. But yeah, when I first started, it was quite the project. Now, I get a few dozen at most each year. Same with dandelions - I've hand dug them for years. Even almost surrounded by neighbors that don't care, I'm down to only maybe 20 so far this year.

I'll spray for everything else (clover, spurge, creeping charlie, etc.) once we get a dry, still day.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 13, 2019 8:53 am

If you head up to Bakerstown Feed, they have a special weed killer that will take care of it. Can't remember the name, but the people there know their stuff. Like others said, it's probably too late for this year.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:59 am

I got one of those Rapitest soil test kits. Tested my PH, and then NPK. My N and P were super deficient. K was pretty good. So I went to the feed store and the guy there got me hooked up with a bag of 11-52-0 in the hopes that this grass seed I just planted gets some healthy root system. I spread that yesterday in between rain storms. I also grabbed 2 bags of weed-and-feed and some liquid trimec. I'll use the trimec liquid around the house where there's already a good grass crop and the weed and feed throughout the rest of the lawn.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:42 pm

Saw a Northern Flicker walking around on the hill above my garden. Pretty neat. Not sure that they're particularly rare, but I can't recall ever seeing a woodpecker walking around on the ground. Similar to this guy: