Gardening/Maintenance Thread

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon May 30, 2022 10:09 pm

Did you clean the lint out of the dryer vent?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon May 30, 2022 10:18 pm

No, but I did also empty out my shop vac.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon May 30, 2022 10:24 pm

Is there a decent place in the North or West Pgh suburbs to buy plants, trees, etc? We bought a magnolia at petitti's in Youngstown today and they have a huge, almost overwhelming selection but would like to find someplace closer. Not much in Beaver County (shocker) outside HD and Lowe's. Boss lady wants to do her plant shopping next weekend.

We've been to that place out on 30 in Imperial but it's not nearly the selection. Trax Farms is even farther away from me.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 30, 2022 10:46 pm

Is there a decent place in the North or West Pgh suburbs to buy plants, trees, etc? We bought a magnolia at petitti's in Youngstown today and they have a huge, almost overwhelming selection but would like to find someplace closer. Not much in Beaver County (shocker) outside HD and Lowe's. Boss lady wants to do her plant shopping next weekend.

We've been to that place out on 30 in Imperial but it's not nearly the selection. Trax Farms is even farther away from me.
Kraynaks in hermitage
Last edited by willeyeam on Mon May 30, 2022 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 30, 2022 10:46 pm

Though that's probably not too much closer than the Yo to beaver

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue May 31, 2022 6:13 am

Phelps nursery in Robinson and in cranberry is pretty great for trees and plants.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Tue May 31, 2022 7:11 am

Phelps nursery in Robinson and in cranberry is pretty great for trees and plants.
Agreed. We’ve bought a few things from them.

I would say about 80% of my annual landscaping budget is spent at Hahn’s nursery on Babcock or Best Feeds in north park/millvale. Proximity reigns supreme. We’ve visited G W Kleber and Sons off route 8 in Valencia and I find their prices and service to be unrivaled, just a pain to get to from us.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue May 31, 2022 7:30 am

I've never personally been there but I heard Star Lake nursery is wonderful. Near Burgettstown

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 31, 2022 8:52 am

When we lived up there Glenshaw Feed & Garden Center was our go-to for plants. Not sure about trees though.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue May 31, 2022 9:36 am

Thanks guys!

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:23 am

dodint I love that the gas surcharge is based off the total price. Convenient :lol:
Same. I understand fuel is a concern and I sympathize. But it's only one part of the service. It takes them about 45 minutes to an hour to cut my acre with two guys. On property that I used to cut on only two or three gallons of fuel. Plus whatever my portion of the transit time is to get from whatever job they came from to my place. I assume they're smart enough to group their jobs geographically since we don't tell them what day to come. So that's $28, each time they come out, to cover the increase in fuel costs since mid-March. Yeah, okay.

The message they put out wasn't worded very well so I'm going to wait to see what the bill is for the next cut before I do anything.
The fuel surcharge was $26.29 on a $131.44 service. So $52.58 per month. Again, this is to cover the increase in fuel costs, not the total fuel cost. To mow a single acre that takes them about 45 minutes.
They're using bigger equipment than I did, but my 42" mower used something like 2.5 gallons to cover that acre.
Last edited by dodint on Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:23 am

Time to say goodbye to them.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:50 am

Brenckles Greenhouses is our go to (North Hills). Not many trees, but their annuals are absolutely fantastic and we've never had an issue with any of the perennials we've got there. A bit pricey, but worth it IMO. Lots of variety.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:18 pm

Talked to the wife today and she's on board with the electric rider idea. The lawn service is now $325/mo for us. At that price, the electric rider pays for itself in 15 months. And now that we live here and I'm WFH there is no reason for me not to mow my own lawn. I can knock it out during my long lunch days when I have meetings with Japan in the evening, easy.

Just have to buy the mower (there are a bunch in stock at my Lowes in Latrobe) and then notify the service that they're in breach. We're probably going to let them keep mowing until we come back from vacation later in June.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:47 pm

Talked to the wife today and she's on board with the electric rider idea. The lawn service is now $325/mo for us. At that price, the electric rider pays for itself in 15 months. And now that we live here and I'm WFH there is no reason for me not to mow my own lawn. I can knock it out during my long lunch days when I have meetings with Japan in the evening, easy.

Just have to buy the mower (there are a bunch in stock at my Lowes in Latrobe) and then notify the service that they're in breach. We're probably going to let them keep mowing until we come back from vacation later in June.
Awesome, let me know what you wind up going with. I can’t justify a rider since my lawn isn’t that big.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:32 pm

That's my favorite thing to do on a pointless meeting or webinar. Throw the 3m worktunes on and go mow grass

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:38 pm

I can’t do that, it would make the chore that much more painful. 3M headphones and Death or TestamenT, as is tradition.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:12 pm

Year #2 of trying to get rid of the chameleon plant in my backyard. Last year we covered it with cardboard, landscaping fabric, and 2 inches of mulch. Helped but still pokes up here and there. This season I bought the professional grade fabric vs the cheap stuff I got last year, put it in 3 rows overlapping a few inches so it does not come up through the seams, and more mulch. This stuff just doesn't freaking die.

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/houttuynia-cordata/

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:30 pm

I'm in a similar fight with ground ivy and pachysandra

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:33 pm

I'm in a similar fight with ground ivy and pachysandra
Ugh, ground ivy is brutal

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:34 am

I turned the tide on the battle with creeping Charlie thanks to advice provided by @mac5155

That said I've got some sort of vine trying to take over a flower bed in the backyard and I hate that fcker

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:41 am

I'm pretty close to running my rototiller through the pachysandra bed, but that's where all the chipmunks hide when I mow and I don't know if I want a gorey mess

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:09 pm

Kangaroo’s girlfriend: “I love weeding so much, it is therapeutic to rip this stuff out”

Kangaroo’s reaction, after weeding every time the kangaroo mows the lawn for the past two years with minimal assistance and minimal interest in weeding from the GF:

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:16 pm

Why are you weeding the lawn?

2,4-D that ish

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:21 am

I'm pretty close to running my rototiller through the pachysandra bed, but that's where all the chipmunks hide when I mow and I don't know if I want a gorey mess
They’ll leave if they are threatened. And if they dont they deserve to die for being dense