Gardening/Maintenance Thread

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:34 pm

Can anyone identify this plant...? My cat ate some of it and I want to make sure it's not poison...

https://ibb.co/88jMNch

I think it's string of pearls but I don't know...things...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:38 pm

Pl@ntNet says it’s String of Pearls, and is toxic to cats. May want to consult the vet, but what I briefly read online didn’t sound serious. Maybe some vomiting, drooling, and/or diarrhea.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:42 pm

Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to. I also found more of the plant in another room...so even less was ingested than I thought...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:00 pm

Now that that’s settled, we need to discuss why you have an anal beads plant in your home.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:25 pm

My girlfriend.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:00 pm

Pro tip -- when moving a lawn mower in the garage.. don't get lazy and try to lift/maneuver it on a pallet with one hand because you don't want to move a car out of the way... more than likely you will drop it on your finger and cause a huge blood blister haha.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:19 pm

I threw up one of those harbor freight garage in a box deals yesterday and put a bunch of crap in it. Can finally maybe park in the garage this year.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:21 pm

I promised myself once I had a garage and could park my car in it.. I would never ever ever let it get so full that I'd have to park outside. We have an oversized garage and even with our two vehicles and a bunch of crap stored there is still excess room. We'd have to hoard stuff to fill it to the point we couldn't park in it.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:23 pm

I just got my car back in the garage after 2 or 3 years in the driveway. Had to do several things to make that happen such as make a spot in the basement for my pittsburgh fridge, cut out a section of my built in shelving for my massive deep freeze, add shelving to the shed so I can store all my tools AND my kid's ****, and get rid of a few old pieces of furniture and appliances.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:54 pm

I have two inline six motors on stands that I need to stash somewhere for the winter before I can get my side of the garage cleared out enough for parking. Luckily they're long and narrow. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:06 pm

I’m grateful that my two car garage has a cubby area in the back, because even that is cramped with a snowblower, mower, a stack of summer wheels, a generator and more.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:59 pm

I just moved the lawn. Intention was to speed mow to suck up the remaining leaves and other tree junk. But there was actual grass growth that occurred.

Nice little brown and green mix for the compost pile though

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:20 pm

I just moved the lawn. Intention was to speed mow to suck up the remaining leaves and other tree junk. But there was actual grass growth that occurred.

Nice little brown and green mix for the compost pile though
I did the same today. Mulched up the remaining leaves I didn't get with the leaf mulcher. Also had a decent amount of growth.

Ended up with 6 bags of leaves/grass combo.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:49 pm

**** that ****, I ended my season a week or so ago.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:51 pm

I mulched leaves for (hopefully) the last time yesterday. Spread lime this morning.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:30 am

Goodbye Cum Tree
An invasive and smelly pear tree is called a noxious weed by some.

The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture has decided to place a ban on the Callery Pear. Soon, it will be on the banned list for nurseries and landscapers across the Commonwealth.

“The Callery Pear tree is originally from southeast Asia. It was first introduced into the U.S. in the early 1900s. Because it’s a hardy tree, they hoped could correct some of the problems they were having with pear breeding,” Wilkes University Biology Professor William Terzaghi said.

Problems that did not stop with tree breeding.

“It would help other varieties of pear trees bear more fruit. So it was developed with good intent but without knowing what the long-term impact may be. They found that with time, it spreads, it naturalizes and spreads. It takes over wooded borders and areas surrounding agricultural fields,” Shannon Powers of the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture said.

The flowers are known to have an awful smell when blooming and have multiple ways to create more Callery Pear trees.

“It’s a tough plant to eradicate because it not only disperses by seed but it also disperses vegetatively. So if you break off little bits of it, it will sprout again,” Terzaghi said.

The tree is quite popular and can still be found in some stores and nurseries.

“That’s part of the reason we have phased in the ban. To give nurseries a chance to eliminate the plant from their stock and to develop alternatives. That nursery and owner can give them an alternative that’s not invasive and native. And will have benefits to our environment and not detrimental,” Powers said.

The ban will go into Phase 1 next week as nurseries are asked to reduce their inventory of the tree.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:19 am

we bought 3 bare root roses from sams club yesterday (wrapped in bag with moist saw dust). has anyone done this before? how long can they exist in this state before i plant them?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:05 am

Anyone have a tree trimming and/or removal service that they like that also services Westmoreland County? I need to get a maple trimmed and also need to get a quote to remove four very large pines.
Penn Line out of Scottdale is good. My wife, sister, and uncle work there. That probably impacts the pricing I get but worth a shot?

A few others I've had friends use were Stockton tree service and Browns tree service.
We're actually having a big tree removed from our backyard as I type this. Not sure if they're in Westmoreland, but we use Davey tree service. They've done a few jobs for us and no complaints / good pricing.

Didn't think I'd be this emotional about the one coming down today. They had a hard time identifying it, but landed on some sort of mountain ash. It got infested with some sort of tiny beetle evidently. Trunk was rotting on one side and half of the tree didn't leaf this year...and its close enough to the house to cause some damage.

Still, though, gonna miss it. The spring color of the leaves was that light bright green. Absolutely beautiful. We took some samples to see if we can propagate.

Sad.
Man, you weren't kidding.

The tree trimming folks showed up today. Made quick work of the dead pine that fell over, and then they started on the maple. We told them to cut out the dead stuff and trim it back a bit so we can get more sun on the roof to prevent the moss from growing up there. They really went to town trimming the maple, I'm probably being dramatic but it looks like it's lost 50% of its mass. My wife thought they made a mistake and were cutting it all the way down. :lol:

This is her childhood home and the tree was kind of the feature of the front yard. Now it's going to look comparatively naked for a few years and that's surprisingly hard for my wife to take. Just hoping it grows back healthier.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:58 pm

Look How They Massacred My Boy!

They say we'll get about 8ft of growth back this year but god damn. :lol:

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:19 pm

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:25 pm

Yeah, they took a ton of dead wood out. Then had to reshape it pretty drastically.

This company did this exact same thing with this exact tree, about 15 years ago. The wife's parents didn't keep up with the regular trimming though and a lot of it died. They think we'll get 8ft of growth this year, and in 4-5 years have a nice balloon shape that we can then have them properly trim up every few years.

Right now it looks like something out of Beetlejuice. We'll probably have higher AC costs this year. :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:59 pm

Well, you wanted more sun on the roof... You're gonna get it. And then some. :lol:

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:17 pm

See, this is what we wanted to have done to our trees, but instead they just took a few branches off here and there. Our grass is almost non-existent with all the shade we get.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:47 am

Got some hydrangeas that I should trim. Any tips?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:48 am

You may want to wait til end of summer.