Shyster's thread of Spaaaace.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:54 am

Did you not see Ron Paul, or perhaps the lasers?

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:55 pm

I was going to link a more detailed tweet, but then I saw it was edited so the guy could slob on his post blowing up. We all have our petty FU's.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:18 pm

There was a large fireball sighted by a lot of people Wednesday morning around 635 AM. It was viewable from Virginia to Connecticut.

https://www.newsweek.com/meteor-firebal ... eo-1286164

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:13 am

Primitive life is possible on nearby exoplanet, scientists say

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/10/worl ... term=image

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:46 pm

A cotton seed has sprouted on the moon.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.space. ... ng-e4.html

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Have Aliens Found Us? A Harvard Astronomer on the Mysterious Interstellar Object ‘Oumuamua

https://www.newyorker.com/news/the-new- ... t-oumuamua

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:14 pm

Have Aliens Found Us? A Harvard Astronomer on the Mysterious Interstellar Object ‘Oumuamua

https://www.newyorker.com/news/the-new- ... t-oumuamua
This is awesome. Thanks

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:51 am

I went into that expecting clickbait nonsense, but the orbital deviation doesn't just happen unless that sucker is being propelled, or (not sure, @Shyster?) Ultra dense for it's size.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:35 pm

I went into that expecting clickbait nonsense, but the orbital deviation doesn't just happen unless that sucker is being propelled, or (not sure, @Shyster?) Ultra dense for it's size.
I had thought the orbital deviation (and velocity relative to the Sun) was explained solely by the fact that it was an interstellar object?

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:55 pm

The velocity was determined at the point it was "ejected" from wherever it came from, but it's gravitational allegiance is to whatever has the greatest effect on it's trajectory. For us it's the sun, and our orbit is the result. for this thing to be disobeying it's allegiance to the sun after it got here is where the alarms go off, since that would require it to be something not inanimate, or extremely strange compared to what we know about it.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:07 pm

The velocity was determined at the point it was "ejected" from wherever it came from, but it's gravitational allegiance is to whatever has the greatest effect on it's trajectory. For us it's the sun, and our orbit is the result. for this thing to be disobeying it's allegiance to the sun after it got here is where the alarms go off, since that would require it to be something not inanimate, or extremely strange compared to what we know about it.
If it was coming in from outside the solar system at a high rate of speed, wouldn't it make sense for it to be traveling fast enough to slingshot around the Sun and subsequently go fast enough to escape the Sun's grasp? I feel like it's not that different from an object traveling in from the Oort Cloud.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:30 pm

That's what's happening, but according to that article, the thing is moving slower that expected, which could indicate a retro burn to check out the system (maybe)

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:27 pm

From my understanding, there are a number of possible explanations for the observed movement, including solar radiation pressure and outgassing. It didn't produce a comet trail, but that doesn't necessarily mean that some gas wasn't being released. It's not as if there is no explanation other than some sort of on-board propulsion (although on-board propulsion cannot be excluded). Unfortunately, because it is moving on escape trajectory, it would be extremely difficult for any Earth-launched probes to catch up with it before it basically exits the solar system. It's already nearly to the orbit of Saturn on its way out, and it's hauling butt.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:12 pm

In launch news, the Delta IV Heavy launch of a spy sat for the NRO looks ready to go for another attempt this weekend. The first launch attempt was aborted at T-7 seconds in early December, and a second attempt in mid December was scrubbed due to an apparent hydrogen leak in one of the boosters. ULA believes they have chased down and fixed the leak. The next attempt is scheduled for Saturday, 1/19 at 11:05am PST from Vandenburg AFB.

Counting this launch, there are only seven Delta IV launches left on the manifest—two of the single-booster Medium version, and four of the three-booster Heavy version. The last two launches of the single-core version should both be in 2019. All remaining launches are US government payloads.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:00 am

Ah, I see. I didn't quite get that it was leaving already, and if something was probing, I'd like to think they would take a closer look and say hi.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:15 am

Nothing to see here.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:48 am

I posted an article about that “alien probe” a few months ago and it said the object was discovered in 2017.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:06 pm

The Delta 4-Heavy - NROL-71 mission finally launched yesterday after more than a month of scubs, delays, and leaks. As with all classified missions, they cut off the video feed shortly after stage separation, but all accounts are that the mission was successful. The payload is most likely a next-generation spy satellite.

The next U.S. launch should be the SpaceX demonstration mission for the Crew Dragon, which is currently NET February 9. It was scheduled for January, but has been pushed back. Supposedly some of the delay is due to the government shutdown; people necessary to complete the paperwork/permits/approvals are currently furloughed. So the mission could get delayed further if the shutdown persists.

Stratolaunch has announced that it will not be developing its own launch vehicles and instead will be purchasing Pegasus launchers from Northrop Grumman. Stratolaunch is the company that last year unveiled its giant six-engine, twin-fuselage aircraft, which is designed to carry and air-launch rockets from the center part of the wing. I might be willing to bet at this point that Stratolaunch actually never launches anything. The whole company was the baby of late Microsoft billionaire Paul Allen, who so far as we know was the only source of the company's funding. With his untimely death, it looks like the driving force is gone. Stratolaunch is not going to be economically competitive launching Pegasus rockets. Not only is the Pegasus limited in payload, it's become really expensive. Northrop Grumman isn't making any money (or finding many customers) launching the Pegasus itself, so I don't see how Stratolaunch would expect to make money buying them. Finally, they're entering a market for small-payload launches that has become surprisingly crowded and competitive, with proven companies like Rocket Labs and other upcoming companies like Virgin Orbit. In particular, Virgin Orbit has exactly the same model as does Stratolaunch; namely, air launching rockets from a carrier aircraft (in Virgin's case a modified Boeing 747). And Virgin Orbit not only has its own launchers, it's scheduled to test them this year.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:59 pm

Nice summary... Thanks Shyster!

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:53 pm

'Planet Nine' Can't Hide Much Longer, Scientists Say

https://www.space.com/34455-planet-nine ... -soon.html

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:44 pm

I mentioned Virgin Orbit's 747 carrier aircraft above, and this permits me an opportunity to mention two of my borderline-autistic interests: aviation and rocketry. Not many know that the 747 was designed from the outset with the ability to transport extra engines. When the 747 was new, there weren't many cargo aircraft in service that had the ability to carry something as big as spare 747 engine, so Boeing designed the wing to accommodate an optional extra engine mount between the inboard engine and the fuselage. That way if an airline needed to transport a spare engine to replace a failed unit at an airfield where it didn't have maintenance facilities, it could just use one of its other 747s to haul the spare. The airline could even fly passengers on the route; the extra engine didn't change the handling of the aircraft and had a relatively minor fuel-burn penalty. The extra engine didn't have the ability to actually operate; it was purely along for the ride. In addition to the 747, some other early trijets and quadjets also had this ability, including the 707, the Douglas DC-8, and the Lockheed L-1011. I'm not aware of any twinjet having this ability, and I don't think the A380 can do it either.

Virgin Orbit's air-launched rockets will use a mount that is simply attached to the spare-engine mount on the left wing, so the aircraft didn't require much in the way of modification. Here's an article on the mount:

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/23 ... -its-wings

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:12 pm

A meteoroid impacted the moon during the lunar eclipse:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:21 pm

A meteoroid impacted the moon during the lunar eclipse:

That is awesome! And good job on proper use of "meteoroid" vs. meteor/meteorite :wink:

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:40 am

Live stream of Bezos’ passenger rocket.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:43 am

Launching in 15 minutes btw