Politics And Current Events

double m v.2.0

Postby double m v.2.0 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:24 am

Jeb Bush has a solution to our economic woes:
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Wednesday seemed to propose a bold solution for economic troubles: “People should work longer hours,” drawing negative reactions from critics who suggested the last thing Americans need is to work more.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/j ... z3fQjCkgbB
Well, I know it's just anecdota, but working hard paid off for me :pop:
what's wrong with liberals that they think not working hard is how to get ahead? The government should support you? Every dollar the government "gives away" it takes from someone else (and takes a piece to support their own massive bureaucracy.)
Worked for Jeb and W too. And having a dad as prez, I think.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:30 am

Seriously, get over it. You aren't responsible for it, just try and be a good person. If you are seriously crying because you feel you are responsible for some social injustice you had no part in, find a frigging therapist. It's pathetic.
Who are you talking about?
Are you reacting to something in a link?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:31 am

Seriously, get over it. You aren't responsible for it, just try and be a good person. If you are seriously crying because you feel you are responsible for some social injustice you had no part in, find a frigging therapist. It's pathetic.
That white guilt show on MTV? I tried to watch the preview but it wasn't a preview.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:32 am

That white guilt show on MTV? I tried to watch the preview but it wasn't a preview.
Ah...ok. Thanks.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:39 am

i feel some guilt about my place in the world. but i'm very thankful for all the opportunities that i've had. sulking about it isn't going to change things. go out and take advantage of any edge you have in an increasingly competitive world.

double m v.2.0

Postby double m v.2.0 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:42 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/ ... 1507090186
Physical restraint' contributed to Allegheny County Jail inmate's death, medical examiner says

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:50 am

I think there's a big difference about feeling guilty about your place in life due to circumstances beyond your control, and just acknowledging it for what it is and moving on from it. People that completely ignore the advantages ("All you have to do is work hard to get ahead, that's what I did!" kind of people) are just as bad, if not worse than those that seemingly hate the fact that they were given advantages in life that others didn't get.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:11 am

I'm enjoying the "USA" chants.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:32 am

I think there's a big difference about feeling guilty about your place in life due to circumstances beyond your control, and just acknowledging it for what it is and moving on from it. People that completely ignore the advantages ("All you have to do is work hard to get ahead, that's what I did!" kind of people) are just as bad, if not worse than those that seemingly hate the fact that they were given advantages in life that others didn't get.
There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that you were born with a leg up, but what is especially perturbing is the insinuation that white people, specifically and exclusively, should feel guilty and remorseful for simply being born white. "Privilege" is 90% financial--and while "white" and "middle class" has been synonymous for a long time, I hate the phrase "white privilege" because it is a ridiculously blanket concept. Growing up in rural Pennsylvania, I know plenty of white people that weren't born with any privilege...should they feel guilty that other white people have it?

I honestly wonder at what point there is going to be a cultural blow back effect with some of this stuff. People, even tolerant, open-minded people, can only take so much.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:36 am

yup, it's far more about money than it is about anything else, and you certainly cannot tell what a person has been through by the color of their skin; however, as Louis CK puts it... I'm not saying white people are better, but being white is way better. Who could even argue that? I'd re-up every time if I had the choice.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:58 am

I'm enjoying the "USA" chants.
It's a sporting match!

I liked how the African-American State Trooper carried the flag off the grounds for presentation to the Confederate Relic museum guy.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:25 am

Would rather see some data beyond just approval ratings, but it's interesting the turn the two states have taken:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ghbor.html
“It seems like they’ve been backed into a corner and are just going forward with pure ideology and discounting any contradictory evidence,”

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:31 am

Kansas is even worse. These radical tax and budget cuts have been an abject failure.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:34 am

Are there any Sherman statues or anything? That dude was a dick.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:38 am

Would rather see some data beyond just approval ratings, but it's interesting the turn the two states have taken:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ghbor.html
“It seems like they’ve been backed into a corner and are just going forward with pure ideology and discounting any contradictory evidence,”
EPP should like this:
Dayton has raised the minimum wage, and he’s significantly increased taxes on the top two percent of wage earners to close a budget shortfall and to raise money for investments in infrastructure and education.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:11 pm

TRUMP for PREZ!

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:16 pm

It's funny, I was just talking about how social progressives are going to keep ramming tolerance down our collective throats until we are living in their world.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/dems- ... le/2567925
More than two dozen Democrats have proposed legislation that would eliminate the words "husband" and "wife" from federal law.

Those "gendered terms" would be replaced by "gender-neutral" words like "spouse" or "married couple," according to the bill from Rep. Lois Capps, D-Calif.

"The Amend the Code for Marriage Equality Act recognizes that the words in our laws have meaning and can continue to reflect prejudice and discrimination even when rendered null by our highest courts," Capps said. "Our values as a country are reflected in our laws. I authored this bill because it is imperative that our federal code reflect the equality of all marriages."
There might not be a visible, vocal backlash outside of the typical right-wing corners yet, but make no mistake, it's happening. I can think of several social liberals I know personally that, while they'd never dare say it publicly, are starting to resent the insatiable hunger for 'social justice' in a growing portion of the left. It took what, less than two weeks after the Supreme Court ruling for politicians to start calling for the elimination of the "husband/wife" construct? Again, in the name of eliminating prejudice and promoting tolerance?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:23 pm

I'm not concerned over what terms appear on paper work I'll never see.

I actually don't see anything wrong with this whatsoever. I also wouldn't care of it was left as is.

This isn't a step in any significant direction. It's just a small dead end.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:24 pm

I really wish that you could just your own talk show.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:27 pm

I got through to the Savage Nation once #claimtofame

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:28 pm

I got through to the Savage Nation once #claimtofame
I'd REALLY like to hear a recording of that exchange.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Former President George W. Bush charged $100,000 to speak at a charity fundraiser for U.S. military veterans severely wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan, and former First Lady Laura Bush collected $50,000 to appear a year earlier, officials of the Texas-based Helping a Hero charity confirmed to ABC News.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-veter ... d=32251253

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:44 pm

Former President George W. Bush charged $100,000 to speak at a charity fundraiser for U.S. military veterans severely wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan, and former First Lady Laura Bush collected $50,000 to appear a year earlier, officials of the Texas-based Helping a Hero charity confirmed to ABC News.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-veter ... d=32251253
This is pretty disappointing, assuming all the facts are out. Bush has a pretty damned active supporter of veterans' causes since his term (as he should be), so this seems pretty uncharacteristic of him given his track record since 2008. Come on man.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:52 pm

N.Y. Times keeps Cruz off bestseller list
"In the case of this book, the overwhelming preponderance of evidence was that sales were limited to strategic bulk purchases,"
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/201 ... 10254.html
Isn't that how a lot of political folks get their books onto the bestseller list? I remember hearing that some (most?) of them require bulk purchases of their books in lieu of speaking fees for public appearances, to drive bestseller rankings.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:54 pm

lol, with adsense they can be produced from your recent browsing history. That's why shad was getting muslim dating site ads.
It probably found traces of Mia Khalifa in his history.
Mmmm, 'traces'...