Politics And Current Events

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:08 pm

Jeb Bush has a solution to our economic woes:
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Wednesday seemed to propose a bold solution for economic troubles: “People should work longer hours,” drawing negative reactions from critics who suggested the last thing Americans need is to work more.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/j ... z3fQjCkgbB

If you keep reading about what he meant, he was talking about those with part-time jobs that want to work more.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:33 pm

Jeb Bush has a solution to our economic woes:
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Wednesday seemed to propose a bold solution for economic troubles: “People should work longer hours,” drawing negative reactions from critics who suggested the last thing Americans need is to work more.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/j ... z3fQjCkgbB

If you keep reading about what he meant, he was talking about those with part-time jobs that want to work more.
Maybe, but reading the context of his original remark doesn't seem like it's limited to only part timers who want to work full time:
Bush said, “My aspiration for the country and I believe we can achieve it, is 4 percent growth as far as the eye can see. Which means we have to be a lot more productive, workforce participation has to rise from its all-time modern lows. It means that people need to work longer hours.”

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:35 pm

This seems like one of those "You didn't build that" situations.

double m v.2.0

Postby double m v.2.0 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:54 pm

It always annoys me when people say "Americans" are lazy. Americans work longer hours than almost any other industrialized nation. We actually need to work less. and what would Jeb Bush know about hard work in the first place?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:36 pm

It always annoys me when people say "Americans" are lazy. Americans work longer hours than almost any other industrialized nation. We actually need to work less. and what would Jeb Bush know about hard work in the first place?

Most politicians in high places work pretty hard. I would never want to be one. Most of them after their terms are up look like they aged a lot faster than the norm.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:59 pm

Bush said, “My aspiration for the country and I believe we can achieve it, is 4 percent growth as far as the eye can see. Which means we have to be a lot more productive...”
**** him if he thinks that's really the problem. When I was a little kid, the idea was that increases in productivity brought about by technology would allow the working class to finally enjoy more leisure time. Instead, it led to repeated restructurings to maximize corporate profits, an all out assault on unions, and a lower standard of living for the middle class.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:23 pm

Most politicians in high places work pretty hard. I would never want to be one. Most of them after their terms are up look like they aged a lot faster than the norm.

gooby pls

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:23 pm

Bush said, “My aspiration for the country and I believe we can achieve it, is 4 percent growth as far as the eye can see. Which means we have to be a lot more productive...”
**** him if he thinks that's really the problem. When I was a little kid, the idea was that increases in productivity brought about by technology would allow the working class to finally enjoy more leisure time. Instead, it led to repeated restructurings to maximize corporate profits, an all out assault on unions, and a lower standard of living for the middle class.

Again, he is talking about part-time workers who want to work full-time.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:39 pm

This is really the dregs of election season if this is the controversy of the day.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:51 pm

Good God, seriously? Can we please get some context?

http://www.businessinsider.com/jeb-bush ... ote-2015-7
BUSH: My aspiration for the country and I believe we can achieve it, is 4 percent growth as far as the eye can see. Which means we have to be a lot more productive, workforce participation has to rise from its all-time modern lows. It means that people need to work longer hours and, through their productivity, gain more income for their families. That's the only way we're going to get out of this rut that we're in.

QUESTION: To keep us from taking it out of context, what you meant to say — when you say more hours you mean full-time work.

BUSH: Given the opportunity to work. Yeah, absolutely.

QUESTION: Not that a full time guy or somebody working two jobs needs to be working even more time.

BUSH: Absolutely not. Their incomes need to grow. It’s not going to grow in an environment where the costs of doing business are so extraordinarily high here. Health care costs are rising. In many places the cost of doing business is extraordinarily high and the net result of that is that business start up rates are at an all time low. Work force participation rates are low. If anyone is celebrating this anemic recovery, then they are totally out of touch. The simple fact is people are really struggling. So giving people a chance to work longer hours has got to be part of the answer. If not, you are going to see people lose hope. And that’s where we are today.
Now I don't know what his plan is to accomplish this, but he isn't incorrect about most points he makes here. And trying to capitalize on one sound byte to claim he thinks people just need to work longer hours is pretty bad. As slappy said though, dregs of election season.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:58 pm

i agree.

...and the effort it takes to be president largely explains why the bush boys are the way they are

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:29 pm

So where does 5AF stand on digging up dead Confederates and their wives?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -park.html

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:33 pm

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't really give a crap. I don't think the dead people care much either. I think they're stupid to waste that kind of energy on such an idiotic thing like this, but I'm not gonna throw a hissy over it.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:34 pm

The common problem - across all of these issues - is that these people should never have been honored in the first place.

But to answer your question: no.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:41 pm

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't really give a crap. I don't think the dead people care much either. I think they're stupid to waste that kind of energy on such an idiotic thing like this, but I'm not gonna throw a hissy over it.
Fair, but it is getting a bit ridiculous at this point. I don't really give a crap about the Confederate flag being taken down at the state capitol, whatever. But really, how far are we going to take this? Should we demolish the Washington Memorial because he was a slave owner? Should we get rid of anything named after JFK because, by all accounts, he was a pretty nasty philanderer and sexual predator (google Mimi Alford).

Forrest, who was by all accounts a nasty person for a lot of his life, had his "come to Jesus" moment a couple years before he died, and was warmly received by the black audience in his last public appearance. Calling for his grave (and that of his wife) to be exhumed is utterly absurd, and is essentially a black politician pandering to his voter base. Would I personally honor him? Eh, no, but these things have stood for 150 years.

I don't think anyone is throwing a hissy, but the political grandstanding is getting a bit out of control.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:44 pm

why would you include philanderer as a comparable for white supremacist?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:47 pm

Obviously one ranks lower on the scale of "crappy human" than the other, so I'll admit that is not a 1:1 comparison. I just think at some point common sense measures get replaced with a sort of "one up" competition. Exhuming of graves is certainly up there.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:49 pm

there's being a jerk, and there's being someone who killed others over the right to own black people.

the line is not fine

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:49 pm

Why not just erect a public urinal there?

:pop:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:49 pm

As Shafnutz notes NBF was not a white supremacist at his death and had renounced all his former loyalties as well as began working for equality at the time of his premature death.

If Robert C. Byrd gets a pass for his KKK days (and Byrd's KKK was a different animal both genetically and ideologically from NBF's short-lived KKK) because he was a good Democrat late in life, then assuredly NBF whose public stand was far more courageous in his day should not be just dismissed because so many are happily ignorant.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:50 pm

JFK voted against civil rights before as well.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:52 pm

JFK voted against civil rights before as well.
this is at least closer to relevant.

banging chicks...not so much

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:55 pm

as for the story at hand...i don't find it to be particularly tasteful to dig up a body like this.

maybe take down whatever memorial is there, and replace it with the most discrete identifier possible.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:05 pm

Yeah that's what I mean. Robert Byrd and Nathan Bedford Forrest, quite frankly, are extremely similar in terms of the evolution of their worldview. In his mid-50s, Forrest was definitely coming around on race relations, to the point where he was welcomed by the black community despite his past sins. In the Reconstruction Era, where racism and racial violence ran rampant, he disowned his previous associations.

I don't recall many members of the Congressional Black Caucus repeatedly calling for Byrd to resign because of his past life as a KKK member. As others have noted, there is no doubt it's because he was a tenured Democratic politician. If he was a reformed Republican, forget it. You'd never hear the end of it.

It all comes back around to political grandstanding, which is obvious, of course.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:23 am

I think there are far more important uses for the land currently being used up by stupid cemeteries and long-rotted corpses. (And golf courses, for that matter). But while I'm happy that we are making the politicians in the the ex-CSA states have their reckoning by stepping out of the 19th century, I'm also of the mindset that the confed-a-mania that's going on now is a bridge too far.