Politics And Current Events

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:44 am

12k in brand new furniture and kitchen supplies? Nice work.

Essentially. I only had it for 2 years.
Oh. So you donated used furniture that you just replaced. It's a good contribution but besides throwing it away or burning it, giving it to others is literally your only other option.

Wait what? I could have sold this furniture for at least 12k... Most people would have. I felt others needed it more. No reason for you to try to make it seem like any less of a contribution.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:45 am

Not **** that some things happen out of people's control. For Christ sakes I'm not stupid. People instantly write off people that started out more well off than others, saying "well you only got to where you are because of your parents..." That's freaking demeaning as well. That is all I was trying to convey.
No, that's not what you were trying to convey and that's not what anyone was saying when you made your "You make your own luck" remark. Someone posted that the more money they make, the more money they feel like they should give back because they've been so lucky. Then you came in with "You make your own luck". Then we went down the rabbit hole.

I know what I was conveying throughout the entire convo, I'm the one who wrote it, you aren't.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:56 am

I mean I'm so conceited and and such an dadhole that I just donated 12k worth of furniture and kitchen supplies. I mean what a **** ing conceited ass I am.
Being conceited has nothing to do with how much you donate. Not saying you're conceited, but there really isn't a correlation.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:56 am

wow. Top notch political thread reading and it's not even 9 o'clock yet. :lol:

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:58 am

You create your own luck.
I think it's obvious I'm thankful for my upbringing. I give a lot to charity as a way to give back. At least 10% of my income. I don't feel like I have to justify myself to an Internet board.
The flippant, "You create your own luck" comment is what brought this whole discussion about. Of course, even if born in "rich", you probably need to work hard to remain successful, but writing off the hardships of others and insinuating that their "bad luck" was due to laziness, etc. is downright demeaning. Are a lot of people sick or poor because of their own doing? Of course. But a lot of people are sick or poor because of things 100% out of their control.
Not **** that some things happen out of people's control. For Christ sakes I'm not stupid. People instantly write off people that started out more well off than others, saying "well you only got to where you are because of your parents..." That's freaking demeaning as well. That is all I was trying to convey.
True, but no one said that.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:03 am

I mean I'm so conceited and and such an dadhole that I just donated 12k worth of furniture and kitchen supplies. I mean what a **** ing conceited ass I am.
Being conceited has nothing to do with how much you donate. Not saying you're conceited, but there really isn't a correlation.

Almost Everyone is conceited to some extent. Including a great majority of the posters here. It's like pot meet kettle when someone else calls another conceited in this place.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:05 am

wow. Top notch political thread reading and it's not even 9 o'clock yet. :lol:

Only 8 where I am. :thumb:

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:07 am

No, that's not what you were trying to convey and that's not what anyone was saying when you made your "You make your own luck" remark. Someone posted that the more money they make, the more money they feel like they should give back because they've been so lucky. Then you came in with "You make your own luck". Then we went down the rabbit hole.

I know what I was conveying throughout the entire convo, I'm the one who wrote it, you aren't.
Oh, okay. I didn't realize you were psychic and that your "You make your own luck" was actually in reference to the posts about growing up privileged, posts which only came after your incredibly flippant comment. Carry on. :roll:

Craig

Postby Craig » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:09 am

Yeah being conceited is more about obsessing over what a great thing you did.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:12 am

One of the most interesting things to me about American culture -- and probably a function of its meritocratic streak -- is how aggressively many try to distance themselves from the advantages/privileges that their familial situations granted them for fear that it diminishes whatever they have achieved.

It's very different than other places I've lived, where those advantages are expressly envied rather than scorned and many times worn like a badge by the holder.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:19 am

One of the most interesting things to me about American culture -- and probably a function of its meritocratic streak -- is how aggressively many try to distance themselves from the advantages/privileges that their familial situations granted them for fear that it diminishes whatever they have achieved.

It's very different than other places I've lived, where those advantages are expressly envied rather than scorned and many times worn like a badge by the holder.
I think it has something to do with the country being built on expansion and business/market capabilities. But as expansion and economic growth flatten, the aristocratic structure manifests. Capital income grows every year in proportion to wage income. I think it's clear that as long as we deny that reality, the capital income individuals can keep reaping the benefits.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:32 am

Some folks seem to intentionally give the worst possible construct to things nobody types...

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:41 am

Some folks seem to intentionally give the worst possible construct to things nobody types...
As much as I disagree with a lot of what nobody says/believes, I agree.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:42 am

I'm used to it.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:46 am

As I said, you have to pick your words very carefully in this thread / to a lesser degree on the board, or people'll tear them apart. Especially if you already have shown to align yourself with a different point of view.

The "you create your own luck" was a bit much, though, and very easy to misconstrue.

double m v.2.0

Postby double m v.2.0 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:50 am

I just think some people don't realize how grateful and lucky they have had it in life. Hard work is a hard thing to measure.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:07 am

I'm used to it.
Used to what? You made the comment and I wrote a sarcastic comment back (which was simply meant as a joke) along with a statement of disagreement. You seemingly took offense at the joke and went off in a different direction from what I responded to. Some people in this thread seem to get pissed easily and then take a more adversarial tone. At least that's how it comes across.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:28 am

Hey, he makes his own luck.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:50 am

What I find humorous is when people do that to my posts, and then I try to explain what I meant I get crap for trying to explain myself from even more people. But when I construct things about what other people say about me as something that is negative, I also get crap from them and others, while the other person doesn't require any explanation to what they meant.

That is what I'm used to MWB.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:52 am

you plant corn...

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:54 am

It probably starts with one liners. They leave a lot open to interpretation. If you feel like I was giving you crap, I apologize. I disagreed with you, and tried to say why I disagreed.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:59 am

It probably starts with one liners. They leave a lot open to interpretation. If you feel like I was giving you crap, I apologize. I disagreed with you, and tried to say why I disagreed.

I apologize for being an ass, which I know I am by the way.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:17 am

Calhoun is in good company: Disney is going after Cosby
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/petiti ... s/34038650

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:43 pm

In light of yesterday's conversation. Found this astounding:
The price tag for his medical care is an estimated $40,000 per day, excluding four surgeries and family incidentals, Laurie Montague says.
"People have no idea the absolute magnitude of expense that goes into health care even when you are in the field," Laurie Montague says. "What are you going to say? 'Let's hold off on the blood product today? No, I don't need the neurological consult; I think he's OK?'
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/stor ... r.it%27%5D

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:48 pm

We love you nobody.