Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:57 am

Something happened to me as I got older with star wars as well. I realized a lot of it's garbage, but I don't care anymore, I'll watch them all and find ways to have fun with them. Andor, rogue one, rebels, and Mando are **** terrific!

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:54 pm

The Armorer
Definitely a spy.
Grogu
Is Krang
This is the way. Great episode. Who is coming to save the day and help the mandos next week?
No one I suppose. Space battle next week, then who knows. This story does not have a happy ending.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:01 pm

The Armorer
Definitely a spy.
Grogu
Is Krang
This is the way. Great episode. Who is coming to save the day and help the mandos next week?
No one I suppose. Space battle next week, then who knows. This story does not have a happy ending.
I wondered if the republic would finally make its way out to Nevarro and have Carl weathers direct them to help out mandos with the empire/moff? Doesn't seem like enough mandos there to take them... Something is definitely up with the armorer

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:52 pm

I agree that was the best episode of the season. It’s still not Mando or Grogu’s story but at least it was a fun watch.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:15 pm

That's sort of the problem I have with the OT. As I get older, I still absolutely love the world building, the characters, and their stories and all that. But................ the storytelling is often (usually?) pretty pedestrian if not outright bad. The first movie was literally saved by the editors; Empire is a fantastic drama and earns a pass; ROTJ is kinda blegh, too; and then there's the prequels. There's like an inverse relationship between the level of Lucas's involvement and the quality of the product.
I think there are three REALLY good Star Wars films and the rest range from decent to downright dog ****.
Forgot to cheers this yesterday

:fist:

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:22 pm

That's sort of the problem I have with the OT. As I get older, I still absolutely love the world building, the characters, and their stories and all that. But................ the storytelling is often (usually?) pretty pedestrian if not outright bad. The first movie was literally saved by the editors; Empire is a fantastic drama and earns a pass; ROTJ is kinda blegh, too; and then there's the prequels. There's like an inverse relationship between the level of Lucas's involvement and the quality of the product.
I think there are three REALLY good Star Wars films and the rest range from decent to downright dog ****.
Forgot to cheers this yesterday

:fist:
:fist: The funny part is we’d probably argue about which three.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:29 pm

Well........ one of them, at least. lol

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:56 pm

Empire, Rogue One, TLJ?

I'd go ANH, Empire, Rogue One.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:59 pm

Empire, Rogue One, TLJ sounds good.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:01 pm

Even ignoring its place in a very disjointed trilogy, I can't put TLJ in the "REALLY good" category thanks to the Canto Bight sequence.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:05 pm

Yes, I stand with Gaucho. So far Andor is the only streaming show that is suitable for that tier imo (and might actually be better than each of the films tbh).

It would be fun to do a Unified Tier Ranking of All Star Wars Content. But that is an exercise for some other day.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:28 pm

What I like the most about TLJ is specifically what it upends about the perceived safety that comes from being sure of something. If the Jedi that redeemed Darth Vader has a crisis of conscience - not just of himself as a Master and teacher, but of the Jedi Order as a concept - what does that bode for the rest of the galaxy? Canto Bight works, for me, because it is on display for the defecting ex-Stormtrooper to consider (and why I didn't have a problem with Rose Tico's actions later in the film); the fight isn't against bad, it is for what you believe is good. The idea that Rey was a nobody was tremendously exciting because it opened up the literal entire galaxy to the restoration of Hope, as opposed to the heirs of these one or two specific human families.

I know a lot of people whose opinions I respect on all things Star Wars vehemently disagree with me (not least Mark Hamill himself, and Sam Witwer). We can have those disagreements civilly, but just know that acquiescing to those viewpoints is what gave us Rise Of Skywalker. ;)

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:36 pm

Yes, I stand with Gaucho. So far Andor is the only streaming show that is suitable for that tier imo (and might actually be better than each of the films tbh).
Absolutely agree. Andor is the only one that felt like a legit TV show. Season 1 of Mando is fantastic but it's not at Andor's level. And we won't talk about Boba Fett and Kenobi.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:37 pm

Source of the post I know a lot of people whose opinions I respect on all things Star Wars vehemently disagree with me (not least nocera Mark Hamill himself, and Sam Witwer).
Aw that's nice of you.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:43 am

Caught up.

This season feels like an F1 race that started behind the safety car, they've been under yellow flag for many laps, and now as the time limit approaches they've released the cars to go green flag racing and it's chaos.
They are doing a really thorough job of making it look like The Armorer is the Mando spy. She's the only one of them not called Din Djarin who is consistently shown to be alone (and able to transmit a signal on the DL, like R5); she found a reason to extricate herself from events prior to the mayhem of Moff Gideon's ambush; she is the only character we've ever seen forging beskar armor, but she volunteers to be the one to peace out as they arrive at The Great Forge; she urged Bo-Katan to find and gather different tribes of Mandos. At Moff Gideon's arrival he immediately demanded Bo hand over the Darksaber, when she had only just come to possess it (the last time Gideon saw the weapon Din Djarin had just won it from him); how could Gideon have even known Kryze possessed the weapon again?

Gideon's armor at the end has an Iron Heart plate, while his....... minions? wear newly forged beskar armor that does not. Could be a subtle clue of Gideon's backstory, that he himself is a Mandalorian.
Takeaway: Where did they get enough red paint to graffiti a mythosaur sigil on the understand of the cruiser? These are the things I kvetch about.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:32 am

Dang tif ya left out the most obvious connection that you mentioned previously
The Maul spikes on the helmet.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:09 am

Me being someone who has to be a completionist, I'm currently watching Stars Wars Resistance on Disney plus. I was going to skip that one as it truly seems like a kids cartoon that nocera would hate, but since it's only 40 episodes, I just find my self having to watch it.

Not the best, but I know I'm not the target audience for this one.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:44 am

I never watched that one. Just the first couple of episodes, and it couldn't hold my kids interest (pre-pre-teens, so they were all in on that stuff). I'll probably revisit at some point.

Kane

Postby Kane » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:01 am

I heard it was pretty bad. Nowhere near the level of Clone Wars or Rebels.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:16 pm

I think the one piece that can discount that
Moff had no idea the Mandos were reuniting and he has no reason to play dumb when he learns of the news.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:26 pm

I heard it was pretty bad. Nowhere near the level of Clone Wars or Rebels.
It was really bad and doesn't connect with the sequel trilogy all that much. The main character is completely insufferable too.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:27 pm

Moff had no idea the Mandos were reuniting and he has no reason to play dumb when he learns of the news.
I think he was being deceptive.
If he told the spy he knew, then she would figure out he had other spies. He is also hiding how much interest he has into cloning to the shadow council, or whatever they called it, which he would see more as peers. He knew to ask Bo for the dark saber, so he certainly has at least one spy among the Mandos.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:40 pm

If he told the spy he knew, then she would figure out he had other spies. He is also hiding how much interest he has into cloning to the shadow council, or whatever they called it, which he would see more as peers. He knew to ask Bo for the dark saber, so he certainly has at least one spy among the Mandos.
I mean, doesn't she know she's part of a spy network? Isn't that the whole thing that they have people in various networks already? Who spying for an imperial would think they're the only one?

If they've happily operated in the shadows on Mandalore, and the mandalorians don't even bother going to the planet, it doesn't make much sense for them to want to a) unite them, and b) bring them to the planet to learn their secret. If they're not united, things continue business and usual, and individual mandalorian factions continue to not be a threat.

True for the last part, tho he also had Din stripped of his weapons prior to that where he was sans darksaber. My nonexistent money is on Axe whatever his name his. He already said they just respond to the highest bidder.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:04 pm

I mean, doesn't she know she's part of a spy network? Isn't that the whole thing that they have people in various networks already? Who spying for an imperial would think they're the only one?

If they've happily operated in the shadows on Mandalore, and the mandalorians don't even bother going to the planet, it doesn't make much sense for them to want to a) unite them, and b) bring them to the planet to learn their secret. If they're not united, things continue business and usual, and individual mandalorian factions continue to not be a threat.

True for the last part, tho he also had Din stripped of his weapons prior to that where he was sans darksaber. My nonexistent money is on Axe whatever his name his. He already said they just respond to the highest bidder.
Bad use of words. Sure she would know, but she wouldn't know where or how many. Hence hiding any info.

He proved the Mandalorians would follow the owner of the dark saber and with his ready military, he can push more on the shadow council. As Bo said, they were a fierce army that no one could beat.

I agree he knew Din didn't have the saber, but he couldn't have known how the door would split the team. However, there would have been no way to really know. I will concede that all the signs that point towards the Armorer could be deception by the writers. I saw at least one theory that Koska Reeves is the spy. Should be a fun season finale nonetheless.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:02 pm

👍