Cars & Bikes, Driving & Riding

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:02 am

THe NeW dELoRean

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:03 am

This is no different than movie studios who have run out of new ideas, so they rehash old ones.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:14 am

I want a C or D type replica and my life would be complete. Alas, I'm not a plastic surgeon.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:43 pm

Got the Cross Climate 2's installed on the Flex last weekend. There's some tread on those babys.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:08 pm

Got the Cross Climate 2's installed on the Flex last weekend. There's some tread on those babys.
I don't like them, and will not be buying them again, personally. They're very loud, and so thick that they rub when I turn hard (backing out of a parking space, etc.).

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:18 pm

We bought a 2009 Subaru Legacy several years ago as a car for the kids to drive. Last year the dash started, for lack of a better word, melting. It looks sticky and when you touch it, it is sticky. Turns out this is an issue for 2005-2009 Subaru and some Toyota vehicles. They actually made an offer back in 2016 extending the warranty on the dash to "10 years from the warranty start date," which on a 2009 vehicle means it ended 3-4 years ago, probably. Every traditional Subaru issue has cropped up on this vehicle, but for the past couple of years it's run pretty well, actually. Apparently it has to do with some materials that were supposed to be "environmentally friendly" but don't hold up to heat and humidity over time.

Annoying that this didn't happen until after the warranty extension was up. I bought a dash cover which is less obnoxious than I thought it would be, but it's not ideal. Below link says it is shiny and could cause distracting reflection on the windshield, and has a terrible smell. I don't notice either of those but it is annoying.

These vehicles with just under 100k miles are going for $8-$10k right now, but I'm sure with the melty dash this one wouldn't go for that much. My daughter is mad that she will be learning to drive on it but those are the breaks.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/ ... 6-0699.pdf

http://www.subarucomplaints.com/news/20 ... ard-glare/

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:23 pm

Give her the "when I was your age" speech. Or I could sub in for you. I got my first driving lessons in my Mom's '87 Ford Tempo, and the car I drove as a teen as a '78 Plymouth Horizon (only three years younger than I was) with no air conditioning and no power anything that had been parked in a field for a couple years before it was purchased from my great uncle for $5. I once had the windshield wipers die on me in a rainstorm because (as I learned on the side of the road) rodents had been chewing on the wiring while it was parked. I bought a small 12v electric fan from the J.C. Whitney catalog and screwed it to the dashboard for hot days. It had a 1.7 L Volkswagen-sourced engine that routed a blistering 75 hp through its four-speed manual. 0-60 times were "eventually."

A 2009 Legacy is a Rolls Royce crossed with a Ferrari compared to that, even with a sticky dashboard.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:36 am

My first car (an '85 Jeep Cherokee, one of the lemon models with the 2.8L GM V6) overheated unless running the heat constantly. In South Carolina. In the summer. (It was a bad thermostat. The Jeep dealership put the wrong thermostat in - I think the one for the 4.0L V6 that was in the majority of Cherokees back then) Kids these days...

My son is grateful he gets to drive a 17 Accord with a/c and Bluetooth. But he thinks we're going to wave a magic wand at graduation in a couple of years and make a new 4Runner appear. Yeah, right bozo. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:40 am

Even though it's a long ways away, I've thought about what we're going to do for our daughter when she's old enough to drive. If it were now, I'd buy a used Civic and call it a day for a number of reasons. That may still very well be the case when the times comes.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:26 pm

After seeing all the reviews for the new Sportage, I stopped into the local Kia and put my name on the list for a PHEV. Their website says they’ll be available in July, and to quote the Kia guy, “yeah… available to who?”

Either way, my name is first on the list for one here. Hope they actually do start coming around in July/August. If not, it’ll be a happy little birthday present to me in November or something close to that.
Ha.... hahahah.

This was from early June. I saw that the Sportage PHEVs were available to build and pricing was available on the Kia website, so I gave them a call.

"Yeah, we have one coming in middle of next month it looks like."
"Oh... that's great. Do you need me to come in and put down a deposit or how does this work?"
"Well, that one is already spoke for."
"Ummmm, what? When I stopped a couple months ago you said my name was first on the list."
"Let me take a look here... looks like you're around 5 or 6 on the list. We'll call you."
"I imagine with the rate at which these get allocated that'll take a while, yeah?"
"Yeah, probably looking 8 months or so."

I didn't know what to say. I asked about a just normal hybrid and the dude pretty much sighed and said, I'll see what we have and I'll call you back. That was 4 hours ago. I have a feeling I'm not getting called. Like, I want to buy a car... you sell cars.... you're making this feel like I'm hassling you.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:30 pm

Again, car dealers are making money hand over fist. They have zero incentive to help you because they're marking up every model and they're selling before they get to the lot.

Wait for the bubble to burst, if you can. And don't forget how you were treated.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:22 pm

Again, car dealers are making money hand over fist. They have zero incentive to help you because they're marking up every model and they're selling before they get to the lot.

Wait for the bubble to burst, if you can. And don't forget how you were treated.
couldn't have said it better myself

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:24 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:29 pm

speaking of…

picked up my Bronco today. Has an erection the entire time I test drove it. Got it at MSRP too. Thankful the the dealership didn’t try to screw me on the price or sell it from underneath me (it is Capital Ford of Charlotte, absolutely recommend them)

it drives so wonderfully

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:31 pm

Sweet yellow Bronco!

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:33 pm

Sweet yellow Bronco!
I was disappointed when I rolled up to an actual school bus and realized they were the same color lol

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:34 pm

:lol:

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:35 pm

I don't mind the color at all, I actually like it. I just don't understand why they called it orange.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:35 pm

Good stuff, MiMH. Glad you got a good deal.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:36 pm

Good stuff, MiMH. Glad you got a good deal.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:39 pm

I don't mind the color at all, I actually like it. I just don't understand why they called it orange.
the **** finance manager kept calling it “yellow” (like he didn’t know the actual color Ford billed it as was “cyber orange”). I jokingly corrected him once but yeah, it’s…tough

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:41 pm

We had one of these when I was a kid:

Yours looks a bit more orange than this,

scb147

Postby scb147 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:29 am

speaking of…

picked up my Bronco today. Has an erection the entire time I test drove it. Got it at MSRP too. Thankful the the dealership didn’t try to screw me on the price or sell it from underneath me (it is Capital Ford of Charlotte, absolutely recommend them)

it drives so wonderfully

My neighbor has one just like this, he just picked it up within the last couple months.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:14 am

Well, I've had it with new vehicles. Take me back to driving my old junk with 370k miles on it. It was more dependable.

My wife's car is in the shop for a full transmission rebuild at 37k miles. It's been there since June 30. They have no parts and can't get parts. There are 240 new transmissions on backorder through Ford and they do not know how long it will be. Beyond irritated and aggravated is an understatement.

My truck had a bad engine fan clutch 2 weeks ago, and I replaced it. Worked fine for a week, and now it's staying engaged at all times again. It shows different symptoms, but I'm sure it's a bad part again. There's a warranty on the part, but the install is a PITA and I bought it through rockauto so I'm sure warranty replacement will not be simple.

When it rains it pours lately.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:28 am

Well, I've had it with new vehicles. Take me back to driving my old junk with 370k miles on it. It was more dependable.

My wife's car is in the shop for a full transmission rebuild at 37k miles. It's been there since June 30. They have no parts and can't get parts. There are 240 new transmissions on backorder through Ford and they do not know how long it will be. Beyond irritated and aggravated is an understatement.
If it was under 12k miles this would be a slam dunk lemon law case.
You might still have a solid claim under Mag-Moss if it's still under warranty, though. That 30-day window starts to push into unreasonable and you could see relief under the statute.