Movie Thread

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:21 pm

My theater is showing ID Resurgence and The Shallows on June 23rd. At the same time. :face:

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:36 pm

We met Carey Elwes last year at a VIP showing/meet/greet... he's got some amazing stories.
Was there a buffet?

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:41 pm

We met Carey Elwes last year at a VIP showing/meet/greet... he's got some amazing stories.
Was there a buffet?
No, but I feel as though I'm missing an inside joke from one of his movies/shows...?

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:23 pm

No, but I feel as though I'm missing an inside joke from one of his movies/shows...?
I was making a Cary Elwes fat joke, and just now promptly realized I was thinking of Val Kilmer :lol:

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:58 pm

I was making a Cary Elwes fat joke, and just now promptly realized I was thinking of Val Kilmer :lol:
Okay, now I'm offended for Cary because you confused him with Val Kilmer. :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:59 pm

Finding Dory was what you thought it was. I'll have some thoughts on the audience in the gear grinding thread.

However, the short at the beginning - Piper - was excellent.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:53 am

Let me guess: too many loud children at the children's movie?

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:01 am

Sort of - but my complaint is directed to selfish parents who should know better than to bring infants and toddlers to a movie theater. Not only do these parents miss the movie with calming their upset/scared/hungry children in the lobby, they irritate everyone around them.

I've brought my kids to theaters, but never at that age. What's the point? They won't remember it, and it ruins my experience.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:04 am

Source of the post parents who should know better than to bring infants and toddlers to a movie theater.
Too cheap for a sitter. I remember watching Neighbors in a theater with a bunch of under-three year-olds. Made the weenie fight scene pretty awkward.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:07 am

I hear you. I've come to expect that at any children's movie there will be loud children and parents who are using the movie as a 90 minute babysitter. I gave up trying to enjoy the movie-going experience. I now only go to the theater when I absolutely can't wait to see it on home video, and even then I try to hit a morning/afternoon matinee where hopefully the crowd won't be too bad.

I'm excited for the eventual boom of VOD of in-theater films. I won't miss going to the theater at all.

Miami Vice

Movie Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:09 am

I like how Row House Cinema has early afternoon family movies clearly labeled as such, so you know that kids will be there and likely be fussy/noisy.

They're going to be playing 2001 and since I've never seen it I'd really like to, especially on a big screen.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:12 am

I would love it if my local theater had something like that.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:13 am

Yeah, my sister-in-law used to take her kids to a mother's morning out showings of movies back in the day. I think that's a great idea, but not available where we live. They have older films on some mornings during summer vacation, but they aren't baby friendly.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:14 am

I would love that if Row House Cinema showed new releases. If I want to see Goonies or 2001, I'll watch it at home.

Miami Vice

Movie Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:28 am

I'm excited for the eventual boom of VOD of in-theater films. I won't miss going to the theater at all.
I'm afraid this is going to change the kinds of movies that get made, and it think its already happening.

Look back in the 80s/90s and look at what kind of movies Disney put out - The Rock, Pretty Woman, Splash, Armageddon, Mighty Ducks, Three Men and a Baby, Pulp Fiction, The Rocketeer, The Santa Clause - that company wouldn't make a single one of those films today. They had a distribution deal with Dreamworks for the last few years and didn't even want to put Lincoln in theaters.

Adults are all saying "I'd rather not go to the theater" and as a result there are less movies being made to cater to them. And the ones that are made are done with shoestring budgets because the economics of VOD don't come close to theatrical distribution.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:29 am

I'm more reluctant to go to the theaters because of how much they've jacked up the prices. Take a family of 3 out? That's an easy $60. It's insane.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:32 am

When we goto the movies, I try to go at the 10AM show because it's $4 for every ticket and that's a huge help for a family of 5. As much as I enjoy that price, I also know what's coming with that. It's a 10AM showing of a kids movie. It sucks that my kids can and have always sat there and enjoyed the movie while other terrible parents and their terrible kids run wild or having screaming babies, but again, 10AM showing of a kids movie, not much you can do. If that is happening in the evening and ruining the movie, then I'm asking for a refund and usually get one.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:33 am

I think tentpole films will always have a home in theaters. I really wanted to see Force Awakens with my kids in a big, stadium seat theater - not the same experience at home on Bluray (at least my setup :lol: ).

But yeah, a lot of "smaller" films I'll wait for VOD or Bluray release. I didn't need to see Spotlight in that setting for $12+.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:38 am

Matinees are $10.70 at my local theater. So, they've gone up since the last time I went to a movie.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:39 am

I'm afraid this is going to change the kinds of movies that get made, and it think its already happening.

Look back in the 80s/90s and look at what kind of movies Disney put out - The Rock, Pretty Woman, Splash, Armageddon, Mighty Ducks, Three Men and a Baby, Pulp Fiction, The Rocketeer, The Santa Clause - that company wouldn't make a single one of those films today. They had a distribution deal with Dreamworks for the last few years and didn't even want to put Lincoln in theaters.
The Rock, Mighty Ducks, The Rocketeer and Armageddon would absolutely get made today. The Rock/Armageddon are big budget action movies. Independence Day, San Andreas, any of the Fast & Furious movies are just some examples of modern day equivalents. Mighty Ducks is a family friendly sports movie. Those aren't going anywhere. The Rocketeer is a comic book movie for crying out loud.

There will always be a place for low budget "indie" movies like Pulp Fiction. There isn't the indie boom like there was in the early 90s, but that was more of an exception than a standard. Those movies will always exist and VOD is probably a better avenue for them anyway.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:44 am

My theater has $5 tickets w/free popcorn on Mondays. And it's within walking distance of the house so we end up going every other week or so.

Lots of movies stacked up right now. ID, The Shallows, Secret Life of Pets, The BFG, and Purge 3 are all being released between June 24th and July 8th. I doubt I'll be able to catch them all because I only have a six screen theater.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:47 am

I'm jealous of those prices. Even a kids matinee is $9.70 here.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:51 am

I had no idea there was a Bad Santa 2 and a sequel to The Mechanic coming out this year. Weird on both counts. Half of the Bad Santa cast is dead. Billy Bob and Tony Cox are back, Lauren Graham is not but Kathy Bates is, eww. :lol:

Miami Vice

Movie Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:54 am

Disney wouldn't make them. They have four brands now that encompass 97% of what they're doing:

-Walt Disney Pictures: live action remakes of animated films, Pirates of the Carribbean. They are too scared to try new things after the flops that were Lone Ranger, John Carter and Prince of Persia. None of the sports/underdog movies they used to make and none of the adventure stuff.

-Lucasfilm: Star Wars and Indiana Jones

-Walt Disney Feature Animation: Disney Princesses, more "traditional" types of animated movies

-Pixar: contemporary animated films

-Marvel: super heroes

There is no Touchstone making rom coms and potential 4 quadrant films like Armageddon, Miramax making edgy awards bait films, Hollywood Pictures making R rated action movies, or Dimension making horror films.

You see the other studios trying their best to turn anything remotely brandable into a franchise. Warner's entire structure is based around DC, Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts, Lego, and Godzilla/Kong. Universal is Fast and Furious, Despicable Me, Dreamworks Animation, Jurassic World, and their monster mash up. Paramount is trying a shared Hasbro Universe with all the toys I had in the 80s as well as Star Trek. Fox is so desperate beyond Xmen that they are digging crap like Predator out of the scrap heap.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:57 am

I'd love to see many more Despicable Me movies. I have loved them all thus far.