Health and Fitness

Beveridge

Health and Fitness

Postby Beveridge » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:48 pm

Kind of like the 2A cult but less violent and less hair.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:50 pm

I have a $300 Yosuda exercise bike that I've been using for two years, and it still works fine. Doesn't have any sort of variable resistance or pre-programmed courses or anything like that, though. Want to adjust resistance? Turn the knob.

I also think Peloton owners are part of a cult, but that's just me.
This is kind of funny coming from you especially when it comes to Elon lol.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:51 pm

I like my Yosuda as well. Added some attachments, changed pedals and what not to improve the functionality, but it certainly gets the job done. Unlike running, I'm not a huge fan of the bike so I do benefit from attractive women yelling at me and telling me to push harder, but the Peloton app is good enough for me. I don't need all of the perks that come with the full Peloton cult experience.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:52 pm

It's a cult with no centralized authority and no interaction with other members. My kind of cult.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:17 am

So back around 4th of July my wife and I both committed to eating better and just trying to be more healthy. We've both had some weight creep on over the past year or two. This was happening even as I was working out almost every day which just goes to show you can't out run a bad diet, and how much I was actually throwing in my mouth every day.

Started tracking again around then..took a week or so to get really serious. Upped my workouts back to where they used to be, and viola I'm down almost 9lbs since then, and she is down 6. I'd ideally like to lose another 10 to get back to a comfortable weight for me, maybe even 15 depending.

We have our trip to Minny next week which will be a little blip on the radar, but starting to feel better again and really getting back in the swing of things.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Health and Fitness

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:30 am

Just pound those whole grain bagels on vacay and you’ll be golden

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:55 am

ssb will hook you up once she gets off whatever hour long slog of a ride she's on today. ;)
took it easy on Saturday. fri day though:
https://members.onepeloton.com/classes/ ... af8e4684e9

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:00 am

:lol: :lol:

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:00 am

ssb will hook you up once she gets off whatever hour long slog of a ride she's on today. ;)
took it easy on Saturday. fri day though:
https://members.onepeloton.com/classes/ ... af8e4684e9
I did a 60 min ride once during one of the PowerZone programs. I can't imagine doing it again. 45 is my max and I very rarely do those. It's either a 30+10, or a 20+20 for me. It's probably just a mental thing, but 60 just makes me not want to do it haha.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:00 pm

I’m in the market for a stationary bike, but not sure Peloton is the way I want to go. I don’t need an instructor to tell me to pick up the pace, but would like something with pre-programmed courses where the cadence and resistance are modified as I go along.

Can the peloton still be used to do that, and I just not subscribe to the monthly programming? Or is there an alternative bike out there where I’m not paying for the brand name or the instructors?
so there are a few different kinds of bikes. Spin, stationary, recumbent, airdyne. stationary is very different from spin. imo, spin is superior. I'd encourage you to give a spin class a try, I love Peloton but not everyone does. I used to ride while watching Pens games. I'd ride for a period, going faster during PP, more resistance during PK and for a 46 min ride, I thought I was getting a good workout. in Jan 2021 I took advantage of Peloton's 3 month trial, found an instructor who played music I like (New Wave) and discovered that previously, I hadn't really been working that hard at all. I ride a Schwinn IC4 and take classes on an iPad. the IC4 broadcasts cadence via Bluetooth to my Peloton app. for resistance, I had to figure out my equivalents because resistance is a made up number. when a Peloton instructor calls out 40 resistance, that's around level 15 on my bike. one advantage to going non-Peloton, you can use any service. I use Peloton and Apple Fitness+ but a lot of people like Zwift and there's also free spin classes on YouTube.
if you want to try Peloton, many of us could give you a referral link.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:00 pm

I did a 60 min ride once during one of the PowerZone programs. I can't imagine doing it again. 45 is my max and I very rarely do those. It's either a 30+10, or a 20+20 for me. It's probably just a mental thing, but 60 just makes me not want to do it haha.
I did a 90 min a few weeks ago. it was brutal!

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:51 pm

I’m in the market for a stationary bike, but not sure Peloton is the way I want to go. I don’t need an instructor to tell me to pick up the pace, but would like something with pre-programmed courses where the cadence and resistance are modified as I go along.

Can the peloton still be used to do that, and I just not subscribe to the monthly programming? Or is there an alternative bike out there where I’m not paying for the brand name or the instructors?
so there are a few different kinds of bikes. Spin, stationary, recumbent, airdyne. stationary is very different from spin. imo, spin is superior. I'd encourage you to give a spin class a try, I love Peloton but not everyone does. I used to ride while watching Pens games. I'd ride for a period, going faster during PP, more resistance during PK and for a 46 min ride, I thought I was getting a good workout. in Jan 2021 I took advantage of Peloton's 3 month trial, found an instructor who played music I like (New Wave) and discovered that previously, I hadn't really been working that hard at all. I ride a Schwinn IC4 and take classes on an iPad. the IC4 broadcasts cadence via Bluetooth to my Peloton app. for resistance, I had to figure out my equivalents because resistance is a made up number. when a Peloton instructor calls out 40 resistance, that's around level 15 on my bike. one advantage to going non-Peloton, you can use any service. I use Peloton and Apple Fitness+ but a lot of people like Zwift and there's also free spin classes on YouTube.
if you want to try Peloton, many of us could give you a referral link.
I actually had my eyes on the IC4. How do you like the bike overall?

I'm looking for something more like what I remember treadmills having (I haven't been on a treadmill in many years). You select a pre-programmed workout, and it will automatically adjust your cadence/resistance level based on the program. I do worry about what you mentioned, that I'd just sit there at some "comfortable" cadence/resistance and never adjust it. Or adjust it at a wrong time or too not enough to make it a real workout.

Having access to the Peloton app with the IC4 is nice, so perhaps that's where I'll go. But my main thing is I want to work out while watching TV, which would be tough if you have some meathead yelling at you to pick up the pace and change the resistance. Would be nice if all that could be done automatically.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:01 pm

I have a TV in my gym. I watch old sportscar races or episodes of American Gladiators on occasion.
The Peloton Bike+ has resistance following, so you can turn the sound all the way down and the resistance will change on its own. I guess you'd have to glance down and look at the recommended cadence range, it's depicted on screen with a bar showing the high and low, and lights up when you're in it.

Peloton also has other kinds of rides. First-person scenic (based on distance or time), guided scenic (first person but landscape and guide footage edited in), and a 'game' mode where it's just music and visual cues.

It also now has Entertainment Mode where you can watch YoutubeTV and Prime Video, I think, while you free ride. That wouldn't really help you push, though.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:31 pm

I actually had my eyes on the IC4. How do you like the bike overall?

I'm looking for something more like what I remember treadmills having (I haven't been on a treadmill in many years). You select a pre-programmed workout, and it will automatically adjust your cadence/resistance level based on the program. I do worry about what you mentioned, that I'd just sit there at some "comfortable" cadence/resistance and never adjust it. Or adjust it at a wrong time or too not enough to make it a real workout.

Having access to the Peloton app with the IC4 is nice, so perhaps that's where I'll go. But my main thing is I want to work out while watching TV, which would be tough if you have some meathead yelling at you to pick up the pace and change the resistance. Would be nice if all that could be done automatically.
I love my IC4 and FYI, the Bowflex C6 is literally the same bike, just a different paint job. both retail for around $1k but can often be found on sale for much less. you can also try the secondary market to get a deal. as with any of those though, protect yourself from scammers. none of these do that treadmill thing. to my knowledge, no bike except Peloton Bike+ does and even then, the resistance is based on what the instructor is calling out. stationary bikes may offer that but stationary bikes are almost always cheap garbage. you'd do better to go to Planet Fitness for $10 a month and use theirs.
I'd also encourage you to get bike shoes that clip-in to get the push/pull workout.

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:46 pm

That's a bummer. Thanks for the info. I have some road bike clip-ins but don't have an extra set of pedals. I'd have to see if the clips are compatible.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:49 pm

I thought I'd hate clipping in on the bike. The first few times it was a challenge haha, but I couldn't imagine riding not clipped in at this point.

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:24 pm

My wife and I did the trail from Pittsburgh to DC back in 2010. It was her first time using clip-ins. She fell off her bike 3 times on that trip not being able to react quick enough when she lost her balance.

The first time was my fault. She pointed out something to me on the trail and I looked behind to see. Ended up floating into her lane and my basic instinct was to stick out my hand so we wouldn't crash. Ended up knocking her off the bike and she got a bad bruise on her palm. Luckily it wasn't worse.

I've used clip-ins when doing the MS-150 bike challenge and by the end of 75-80 miles, the balls of my feet were basically numb. Still wouldn't do that without them, as they are very useful when riding up steep hills.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:35 am

Yeah I just got a legit Cannondale road bike off my neighbor and I'm a little freaked about riding out on roads clipped in.

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:26 am

Yeah I just got a legit Cannondale road bike off my neighbor and I'm a little freaked about riding out on roads clipped in.
Go on some trails first to get used to it. It does take quite a bit getting used to. Try different clips too. Some will be easier for you, others will feel like you are in Chinese handcuffs.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:26 am

When I was talking clipped in I was referring strictly to indoor. Not sure how I'd feel about it outdoors lol

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Health and Fitness

Postby meow » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:48 am

<3 u

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:45 pm

I finally jumped on the Peloton bandwagon. Found a gen5 on marketplace for $700. Seller threw in a bunch of stuff like extra shoes, some swag, and the previously mentioned and still unused seatpost from the recall.

Still trying to figure out how to set everything up, but my user is JSrideshisbike.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:02 pm

Welcome.(dodint)

Olivia is the best but go get Kendall out of your system first.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:25 pm

I finally jumped on the Peloton bandwagon. Found a gen5 on marketplace for $700. Seller threw in a bunch of stuff like extra shoes, some swag, and the previously mentioned and still unused seatpost from the recall.

Still trying to figure out how to set everything up, but my user is JSrideshisbike.
Welcome to the cult lol.

Alan5483 on Peloton.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:31 am

that's a great price! follow me back: PawsOnYourBack

there's a couple of great programs that can get you started, You Can Ride (in Programs) and and Welcome To Peloton Cycling (in Collections) that are great ways to get started.
once you've been going awhile, try out Power Zone training. the FTP test is killer but it's a great way to train.