NTP66

Non Political Current Events Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:23 am

shooting murdering

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:16 pm

What’s with all the new sexual assaults in like 2 days
Plaintiffs, who typically would’ve been constrained from suing under the statute of limitations, have been taking advantage of New York’s Adult Survivors Act, which revived the window to bring sexual misconduct claims for one year. It closes at midnight on Thursday.
It's modeled on a similar temporary exemption that was grated for victims of abuse by the Catholic church. 2,500+ lawsuits have been filed. It's targeted at places where duty-to-report provisions may have been less robust in the past but obviously isn't limited to this population of alleged victim.... this same exemption allowed E. Jean Carroll to (successfully) sue Trump.

Apparently a majority of the new suits target NY state and municipal prison/jails.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:15 am

This doesn't seem like a good thing.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:51 pm

Another negative result of increased screen time. That and a “quick fix” mentality from parents.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:44 pm

Back in my day, my mom would just rub a little bit of whiskey on my gums.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:52 am

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/pittsburgh/ ... lers-game/
According to Penn Power, there will be a power blackout in the Zelienople area for about 4,000 residents this coming Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

This is the second blackout Penn Power has done in this region. The first was back in October.
Outrage!

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:10 am

Lol you can't do that during a Steelers game

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:59 pm

A Pittsburgh criminal defense attorney was arrested in Punxsutawney after police learned he was allegedly messaging what he thought was a teenage girl for sex.

Paul Luvara, 33, of Bridgeville, PA, was arrested on Saturday, Dec. 2 and accused of attempting to meet a fictitious 15-year-old at a McDonalds parking lot. Punxsutawney Borough police first learned about Luvara the same day when they were approached by a member of the 814 Pred Hunters.

The member told police their organization has been speaking to a man from Bridgeville. According to a criminal complaint, they identified the man as Luvara and located his law practice in Carnegie, PA.

When talking to police, the member claimed Luvara had been sending sexually explicit messages to a decoy posing as a 15-year-old girl and wanted to meet her to have sex. Luvara allegedly began sending messages on Oct. 15 and continued talking to the decoy until the beginning of December.

In messages that were provided to police, requests to meet the teen were made multiple times. During a conversation on Nov. 18, the decoy told Luvara “I don’t think U will like me” and he replied “Why not?,” according to the complaint. The teen then said “What is your guess” and Luvara texted “Your age.” When she replied “I am 15” he allegedly replied, “It’s fine.”

The conversation later changed about meeting in Punxsutawney. According to the complaint, the 15-year-old told Luvara her “gram” had a camp in Punxsutawney and they could go there.

Luvara allegedly planned on meeting the decoy on Nov. 21 but later agreed to meet on Saturday, Dec. 2. He told the decoy he would meet her at the McDonalds along North Findley Street and he would be in a Mercedes, according to the complaint.

Police said an officer saw Luvara sitting in the driver’s seat of his vehicle in the parking lot. The officer pulled behind Luvara in a police vehicle and approached the driver’s side window.

According to the affidavit, the officer noticed the vehicle went into reverse and began yelling at Luvara to open the door and get out. The officer said Luvara was seen reaching down under his seat and did not get out of the car.

The officer then grabbed Luvara, pulled him out of his car and took him to the ground. This is when a Glock 17 9mm pistol fell onto the ground next to Luvara. According to police, the gun was fully loaded.

Luvara was taken to the Jefferson County Prison where he was later released on Dec. 4 after posting 10% of his $50,000 bail.

He’s charged with four felony counts of criminal attempt involving statutory sexual assault, indecent sexual intercourse of a person less than 16 years of age, aggravated indecent assault and corruption of minors. He also faces one felony count of criminal use of a communication facility and one misdemeanor count of indecent assault.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:27 pm

Looks like his dad is a pretty prominent attorney in Pittsburgh too with his own international firm. I'm guessing he had the gun to off himself if it was a trap but couldn't get it out in time.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:07 pm

Damn... Early reports that there was some incident at the house before the explosion. Maybe a meth lab?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:20 pm

Cops were outside with the lights on

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:21 pm

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:46 pm

Was the house made of flares? Geeze

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:13 pm

Did he shoot the flare into a gas line?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:16 pm

Not sure, I'm guessing he ignited something like that. I can't imagine the hearing issues that explosion is going to cause. That had to have been deafening, not to mention the concussion radius of the blast.

Hope the casualties are minimal but man the police were close and numerous. Not good.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:20 am

A Pittsburgh criminal defense attorney was arrested in Punxsutawney after police learned he was allegedly messaging what he thought was a teenage girl for sex.

For the grammar and syntax snoots* out there, there's a bit of humor in the omission of the hyphenated phrasal adjective.

He was a criminal-defense attorney.

He's now a criminal defense attorney.

* See https://lawprose.org/garners-usage-tip- ... day-snoot/

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:26 am

More about the owner of the house that blew up. Dude appears to be a complete nutter. Click through to the thread. Like he thought all of his neighbors were spies and that the government has been surveilling him for decades, and he's filed multiple nutcase lawsuits against all sorts of people.

Also, he may still be alive. The house could have been booby-trapped.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:42 pm

I think I've shared this before, but my downstairs neighbor for 6+ years thought I was a government agent sent to spy on him. He was foreign born, but I could never fully suss out his accent (at times he sounded South African, other times he just sounded like he couldn't talk right). He accused me of murdering his mother once, and I could hear him regularly having heated arguments on the phone about
"stop following me!" and "what did I ever do to you to provoke this?!".... which I presume the arguments were with no one, because I could hear him answer with a regular phone greeting, but there was no ring prior. (The walls were very thin in that apartment, which made for quite the soundscape some nights with 4 single dudes living there.) He threatened to kill me probably half a dozen times, once because we both happened to be crossing the street at the same time.

Anyway, our building never exploded, so that's good.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:44 pm

Community Notes might be the best thing the internet has done in a decade...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:32 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pa ... rcna128036

Kinda wild. I've had these a few times, but I don't have any pre-existing conditions.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:45 pm

It's a shame and I understand this guy had multiple medical issues, but beyond the caffeine content what kind of person has three 30 ounce fully sugared large drinks in a single go? 90 teaspoons of sugar and 1,500 calories in a single shitty meal before even eating a thing.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:50 pm

an american

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:22 pm

The instant noodles I buy from Japan and China and Taiwan have around 2000 mg of sodium per serving. Take that, 'American'.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:33 pm