I need a ruling on this

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:20 am

There is the risk-averse nocera that we have come to know and love haha
I'm realizing that it's all my dad's fault. And I didn't even need therapy to come to that conclusion.

My wife does her best to put it in perspective for me. "So it's better for us to die in the fire too?"

mikey

I need a ruling on this

Postby mikey » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:22 am

:lol:

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised at the question. I would have never even considered this to be up for debate...that feels like some old school ****...

skullman80

I need a ruling on this

Postby skullman80 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:24 am

Yeah I've let my house with the dryer running a lot... never even though about it to be honest.

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:24 am

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised at the question. I would have never even considered this to be up for debate...that feels like some old school ****...
Also my wife's point. My dad based a lot of his risk aversion on extremely out dated technology. Another example: he would never leave the christmas tree lights on for more than a few hours at a time. I'm assuming it was because old lights were hot and they had real trees that would dry out but he still lives by that even though he has a pre-lit LED fake tree.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:27 am

Absolutely yes...

I've contemplated, at times, preheating the oven while I go pick up daughter so it's hot when I get back home (her daycare is about a 20-30 minute round trip from my house).

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:28 am

Source of the post I've contemplated, at times, preheating the oven while I go pick up daughter so it's hot when I get back home (her daycare is about a 20-30 minute round trip from my house).
See that sounds insane.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:31 am

Oven is clean and has never once caught on fire... so...

mikey

I need a ruling on this

Postby mikey » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:37 am

Yeah, I pre-heated the oven and went to the grocery store just last week...

RonnieFranchise

I need a ruling on this

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:39 am

I was going to say something about nothing ever happening when I've been away but we're going away for the weekend and I feel like it would be bad mamma jamma.
Last edited by RonnieFranchise on Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

genoscoif

I need a ruling on this

Postby genoscoif » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:39 am

I'm realizing that it's all my dad's fault. And I didn't even need therapy to come to that conclusion.

My wife does her best to put it in perspective for me. "So it's better for us to die in the fire too?"
My wife's biggest fear by a mile is fire. We do not leave the house for any length of time with the dryer running, or any 'single use' appliance like dishwasher, washer, oven, etc. We stop any cycle if we have to leave. And we unplug everything that we can before we leave. She'd probably unplug the refrigerators if she could. About the only thing that she'll reluctantly agree to is a crockpot, and that's been a recent development.

So I'll see your 'don't run the dryer when leaving the house', and raise you a 'don't run the dryer if we're going to bed'.

Le sigh.

MrKennethTKangaroo

I need a ruling on this

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:42 am

I've gotten the "what happens if the dishwasher leaks and we are gone" question

Like im sitting the the ready in the fcking basement with a mop while the dishwasher is running just in case it breaks

Kane

I need a ruling on this

Postby Kane » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:53 am

Speaking of dryers; I had a close call with ours on Friday. Last load of the day came out smelling burnt as did the inside of the dryer. The lint trap was still clear from the last time I checked it and there was nothing untoward mixed in with the clothes by accident. I decided to pull the back panel off and take a look inside, and at the bottom I found a lint buildup that must have gotten too close to the heating element. Pulled out all kind of burnt lint/dust that had built up over time. Cleaned it all out with a shop vac and the burnt smell worked it's way out of the drum after another cycle.

LeopardLetang

I need a ruling on this

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:02 pm

i've worried about leaving my dryer on and about leaving my dish washer on. but both have issues. the dish washer often gets stuck in one spot and will wash for hours i once found out. and the dryer is linked to my neighbors vent (apartment). when they run their dryer it fills my apartment with fume stench. i've had the company that owns the building come clean it out and they were even on the roof this year with equipment thinking the vent could be blocked by a birds nest but it still stinks up my place so i have to leave the window in that room wide open all year round. basically there's not enough draw so i get all their exhaust.

shafnutz05

I need a ruling on this

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:04 pm

Also my wife's point. My dad based a lot of his risk aversion on extremely out dated technology. Another example: he would never leave the christmas tree lights on for more than a few hours at a time. I'm assuming it was because old lights were hot and they had real trees that would dry out but he still lives by that even though he has a pre-lit LED fake tree.
Christmas lights are definitely a bugaboo for my wife. We cannot leave the house without turning them all off.

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:10 pm

My wife's biggest fear by a mile is fire. We do not leave the house for any length of time with the dryer running, or any 'single use' appliance like dishwasher, washer, oven, etc. We stop any cycle if we have to leave. And we unplug everything that we can before we leave. She'd probably unplug the refrigerators if she could. About the only thing that she'll reluctantly agree to is a crockpot, and that's been a recent development.

So I'll see your 'don't run the dryer when leaving the house', and raise you a 'don't run the dryer if we're going to bed'.

Le sigh.
This probably goes without saying but I do not go to sleep with the dryer running either. I’d be way more willing to leave the house.

Dickie Dunn

I need a ruling on this

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:16 pm

My wife is a "no dryer while we're gone" person and my response has been similar to your wife, so kudos to her.

MiL's risk adverse nature in the culprit here. I know in Mexico City there's a higher probably or sketchy electrical work, but my MiL is a nut job who unplugs everything but her refrigerator when she leaves her apartment. Radios, TVs, microwave, computer, etc etc. How it's better to have those plugged in while you're home but sleeping will never make sense to me, beyond the fact that it's a multi-unit concrete and stone apartment building, so not exactly the most flammable building materials AND there's a zero percent chance anyone else in the building is unplugging their life every time they leave.

dodint

I need a ruling on this

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:28 pm

Christmas lights are on smart switches. On from 4:30pm to midnight for all of December.

skullman80

I need a ruling on this

Postby skullman80 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:31 pm

Christmas lights are on smart switches. On from 4:30pm to midnight for all of December.
That is how ours are as well. Set schedule on a smart switch both inside and outside. Fully automated.

tifosi77

I need a ruling on this

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:28 pm

You people who are afraid of your modern electricity, do you also bang large drums during the harvest to scare away the mountain demons?

dodint

I need a ruling on this

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:12 pm

Says the man terrified of remote work.

Kane

I need a ruling on this

Postby Kane » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:14 pm

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:30 pm

Hang on a second, there are mountain demons!?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:34 pm

It depends what is in the dryer. Towels or sheets? I’m bouncing. Clothing? I’m not leaving because ya boy meow is terrified of wrinkles.

I would not leave the house while the oven was preheating though. Our oven takes like 4 minutes to get to 500 degrees.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:35 pm

That is how ours are as well. Set schedule on a smart switch both inside and outside. Fully automated.
We do 6 pm to midnight and also 5 am to 7 am

genoscoif

I need a ruling on this

Postby genoscoif » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:43 pm

Le sigh.
This probably goes without saying but I do not go to sleep with the dryer running either. I’d be way more willing to leave the house.
That makes sense to a sane person. We have a cat. For my wife, the life of our cat is worth more than both of our lives combined. Her thinking must be that before we burn alive, one of us will be able to crack a window to save Sophie. :?