Politics And Current Events

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue May 21, 2024 8:42 pm

I suggest touching grass every so often. It’s nice.

Telling someone to "touch grass" is also a fallacy in that it does not respond to the merits of what someone is saying.
:lol:

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue May 21, 2024 8:42 pm

If you spend enough time on semantics we never have to worry about the substance.
:thumb:

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue May 21, 2024 9:42 pm

I don't get it, is the premise here that we're not supposed to dismiss arguments/viewpoints from biased sources?

You certainly can if the arguments/viewpoints are themselves incorrect or biased on the merits, and you can say how and why. But the mere fact that a source is, in your opinion, biased or partial does not mean that anything or everything they say is wrong. Someone who is totally and completely biased on a certain subject can still be 100% correct, and someone who is totally neutral or impartial on a certain subject can still be 100% wrong.

Saying, "I'm not reading/watching/listening/whatever to that because everyone knows [source] is biased" is just a way to close your mind and not have to respond to the merits of whatever is being asserted. It's not only logically fallacious, but it just opens the door for people to do the same to you and ignore you.

If all one wants is to fire opinions into the ether and never have any pushback, maybe we should create a Thread of Shouting at Clouds where the mods have turned off replies or something.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 22, 2024 12:31 am

I’ve seen/heard that skit many times and love it but it lead me down a rabbit hole of finding this

man the Monty Python guys are funny as ****

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed May 22, 2024 6:49 am

I don't get it, is the premise here that we're not supposed to dismiss arguments/viewpoints from biased sources?

You certainly can if the arguments/viewpoints are themselves incorrect or biased on the merits, and you can say how and why. But the mere fact that a source is, in your opinion, biased or partial does not mean that anything or everything they say is wrong. Someone who is totally and completely biased on a certain subject can still be 100% correct, and someone who is totally neutral or impartial on a certain subject can still be 100% wrong.

Saying, "I'm not reading/watching/listening/whatever to that because everyone knows [source] is biased" is just a way to close your mind and not have to respond to the merits of whatever is being asserted. It's not only logically fallacious, but it just opens the door for people to do the same to you and ignore you.

If all one wants is to fire opinions into the ether and never have any pushback, maybe we should create a Thread of Shouting at Clouds where the mods have turned off replies or something.
Buddy. It’s a libertarian Think Tank backed by the Koch brothers. Think Tank workers put out work that aligns with their backers because they get paid well to do it. I know you like it because it aligns with your views (which seem more warped by the day) but it’s pretty easy to dismiss an opinion piece that has that amount of bias without reading it.

I’d take the same grain of salt with something from the Brookings Institute.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed May 22, 2024 8:13 am

Roy Tillman is basically a real guy

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 22, 2024 9:07 am

On the brighter side of death... overdose deaths decreased for the first time since 2018.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/nchs ... 240515.htm

It's not by a lot, but I'll take some decrease over an increase.

Seems opioid and heroin deaths fell, but cocaine and meth deaths went up.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 22, 2024 10:20 am

Breathtaking... MTG basically saved Trump from getting assassinated by Biden

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 22, 2024 10:22 am

No, Marge. I, for one, do not get it yet.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed May 22, 2024 10:26 am

Trumps already arguing that it's totally legal for a president to assassinate his political rivals, so what's the big deal?

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 22, 2024 10:26 am

The sad part is these morons can say anything and their moron followers will blindly believe it. 99% of things my Q-Aunt posts I debunk in less than 30 seconds with a very simple google search. The latest being that Arrowhead Stadium cancelled 3 Pearl Jam dates due to Vedder speaking out against Butker. Obviously this did not happen but she still posted it with a few praise hand emojis and a "go woke go broke" caption.
Last edited by nocera on Wed May 22, 2024 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed May 22, 2024 10:26 am

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed May 22, 2024 10:26 am

Shouldn’t it be grounds for impeachment for Biden too?

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed May 22, 2024 10:33 am

normally something like that might offend me but I'm sorry (not sorry), if the shoe fits.....
sometimes I wish I lived in MTG's congressional district so that I could work day and night to get her out but then I'd have to you know, live in her district. :scared:

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 22, 2024 10:34 am

The Biden DOJ and FBI were planning to assassinate Pres Trump and gave the green light.
This feels like it goes beyond 1st amendment rights. I don't know if it's defamation or something worse, but this feels like it should be illegal for a member of congress to not only accuse the president of planning an assassination but giving the green light to assassinate a political rival when it's most likely (defintely) not true.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed May 22, 2024 10:36 am

Bad built butch body Marge taking a break from posting her cross fit videos I see

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 22, 2024 10:52 am

Roy Tillman is basically a real guy

I think the bigger news here is Troy finally posted a twitter.com link instead of x.com

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed May 22, 2024 11:15 am

Thanks to you sir

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed May 22, 2024 12:43 pm

I think the bigger news here is Troy finally posted a twitter.com link instead of x.com
I read recently that Elmo is going to pull the twitter domain name soon so you can say bye to viewable tweets here.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:06 pm

Trumps already arguing that it's totally legal for a president to assassinate his political rivals, so what's the big deal?
I'm honestly a bit amazed that no one's made that point with a filter voice. I mean the one judge asked the "SEAL Team 6" question (which came off as more funny than it should've imo), but seriously that's the logical endgame of this neutron star Absolute Immunity argument.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:07 pm

A top 10 movie insult to be sure.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:27 pm

I read recently that Elmo is going to pull the twitter domain name soon so you can say bye to viewable tweets here.
He already did something like that once, right? There were like millions of embedded links that were instantaneously broken. Basically any URL domain that ended in "[ ]x.com" was spoofable (e.g. netflix.com, amex.con (which redirs to NYSE)) because he was redirecting the Twitter domain.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed May 22, 2024 4:17 pm

Buddy. It’s a libertarian Think Tank backed by the Koch brothers. Think Tank workers put out work that aligns with their backers because they get paid well to do it. I know you like it because it aligns with your views (which seem more warped by the day) but it’s pretty easy to dismiss an opinion piece that has that amount of bias without reading it.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 22, 2024 4:24 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 22, 2024 4:27 pm

apparently there were vials of blood sent to Trump at a Republican meeting or something

Biden has the vampire voting bloc locked up