Politics And Current Events

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:46 pm

From a political science perspective, has the theory of why the founding fathers agreed on the Connecticut Compromise (what led to the House being population driven and the Senate being bicarmel) really changed since 1787?

of course those in the majority will support rule by majority and those in the minority would support equal representation

if conservatives were the majority in the country, would you continue to support that? idk
The political science theory was that states were independent sovereign entities forming a loose coalition for protection and monetary policy. If 1 person = 1 vote, the less populace sovereign entities would lose it's self determination to places like PA or Virginia. It was created purely for the States Rights crowd.

Unfortunately for Libertarians, the Union winning the Civil War and the resulting need for Federal action to protect recently freed persons pretty well squashed the idea that each State held any measurable power over themselves when considered part of the whole. So the need for Senators to protect their State's sovereign rights hasn't really existed for the last 150 years. They may vote in a way so as to win state wide election, but the only difference between a House seat or a Senate seat is the amount of people included in the vote, not in some high ideal of State's rights.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:50 pm

Biden turns 80 soon fwiw.
Chuck grassly turned 127 last week and just got reelected...
There are four United States Senators who are older than canned beer, two of which were born during Prohibition.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:51 pm

From a political science perspective, has the theory of why the founding fathers agreed on the Connecticut Compromise (what led to the House being population driven and the Senate being bicarmel) really changed since 1787?
That's an interesting question. My answer would be that it certainly has. I really don't see the US as a collection of virtually autonomous states anymore, as they certainly did back then. Except for Hamilton. (@Shyster trigger.)

The US has evolved for better and for worse into being just America. To me, the state divisions are almost entirely for administrative purposes anymore. Is it really about "local control"? Should it be?

I mean, are the interests of Pennsylvania and Wisconsin and Alaska and Kansas really that different anymore? I would argue "no."

Hmm. You've got me thinking about that.
I'd also say that cultural identity has changed along with it. Virginians no longer think of themselves as Virginians first, Americans second. In fact, the only state level identity I hear touted is which State Institution's Sportsball Team a person pledges allegiance to.

redwill

Postby redwill » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:58 pm

I'd also say that cultural identity has changed along with it. Virginians no longer think of themselves as Virginians first, Americans second. In fact, the only state level identity I hear touted is which State Institution's Sportsball Team a person pledges allegiance to.
Haha. I almost added that the only divisions that matter between states seem to be college football rivalries.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:01 pm

:lol:
Pretty wild to see how fast the knives came out for Trump. The next month or two is going to be something to watch.

There are still die-hards hanging on but I am seeing a lot of seething rage from the alt-right types on Twitter directed at Trump.
Suddenly everyone's balls dropped. The GOP was split but held hostage. Now it's just split. It's going to take multiple election cycles to fix, too.

That's why I don't think DeSantis runs until 2028.

redwill

Postby redwill » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:03 pm

I'll go on to say that if "local control" and such are so important, most US states need to be broken up. Western Kansas. Eastern Colorado. California. North Florida: "Lower Alabama." I've heard that the central part of Pennsylvania is sometimes called "Pennsyltucky."

State divisions don't make any sense anymore.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:17 pm

So, I would argue that abortion is on the ballot in PA and MI until some sort of national rule is put in place that prevents state governments from enacting laws banning it.
Michigan just passed a state constitutional amendment protecting choice. Of course I would rather see it be dealt with at the federal level, but I don't think 'on the ballot' is an accurate way to describe the matter in MI at this point.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:17 pm

Democrat policies are designed to keep women single? Is he talking about abortion? Does he still think that if a single woman gets pregnant, a man is going to "make an honest woman out of her" or that she would absolutely want/need that? And I assume he thinks that married women are more easily manipulated by men then?
The idea that married or pot-committed women don't get an abortions....... :lol:

Single women (never married) represent around 40-ish% of abortions. Cohabitating, married, and single (previously married) make up a majority of patients.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:19 pm

Democrat policies are designed to keep women single? Is he talking about abortion? Does he still think that if a single woman gets pregnant, a man is going to "make an honest woman out of her" or that she would absolutely want/need that? And I assume he thinks that married women are more easily manipulated by men then?
The idea that married or pot-committed women don't get an abortions....... :lol:

Single women (never married) represent around 40-ish% of abortions. Cohabitating, married, and single (previously married) make up a majority of patients.
:thumb: Clearly I was grasping at straws to figure out what the hell he was getting at. So what Democrat policies are designed to keep women single?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:25 pm

Empowering women with choice over their body = harder to make them submit to their husbands' whims like The Good Book says, duuuhhh

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:36 pm

I'm wondering if we should reconsider this US Constitution thing.
:thumb:

By and large, I think the Constitution works wonderfully. That it has survived so relatively intact from the way it was written is brilliant.

There are, however, maybe half a dozen things that may have made a ton of sense in 18th century agrarian America that are plainly stupid in 21st century urbanized America. The function (existence?) of the Senate and the electoral college chiefly among them.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:37 pm

:thumb: Clearly I was grasping at straws to figure out what the hell he was getting at. So what Democrat policies are designed to keep women single?
The loosey sex ones, duh.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:43 pm

:lol:
Pretty wild to see how fast the knives came out for Trump. The next month or two is going to be something to watch.

There are still die-hards hanging on but I am seeing a lot of seething rage from the alt-right types on Twitter directed at Trump.
Remember everyone's language on January 7th? Let's see what all of today's rage tweeters have going for them in 2 years.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:44 pm

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:55 pm

bummer

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:58 pm

A normal person might take that as a warning to tone it done. Normal being the operative word in that sentence.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:01 pm

Frisch was in the lead for two days then suddenly he's losing? How do you explain that? Stop the damn count.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:01 pm

Read a few follow up tweets that mail in ballots for counties that favor the Dems are still being counted, and results will be updated in batches.

redwill

Postby redwill » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:18 pm

By and large, I think the Constitution works wonderfully. That it has survived so relatively intact from the way it was written is brilliant.

There are, however, maybe half a dozen things that may have made a ton of sense in 18th century agrarian America that are plainly stupid in 21st century urbanized America. The function (existence?) of the Senate and the electoral college chiefly among them.
Amendment XXVIII: Nevermind all that previous ****. We're gonna take the good stuff and ditch the dumb stuff. Here's a link to an online poll:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:20 pm

Not to go full schadenfreude, but I'm not sure how the party thought getting into bed with Trump was ultimately going to go for them.
I'll take "Things said by the rest of the Western world in 2015," for $600, Troy.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:21 pm

Amendment XXVIII: Nevermind all that previous ****. We're gonna take the good stuff and ditch the dumb stuff. Here's a link to an online poll:
Haha, that's actually not such a loopy idea. :mrgreen:

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:28 pm

Not loopy until all those Russian bots hack their way into Putin as president of the Unites States of Soviet Rednecks

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:30 pm

Not to go full schadenfreude, but I'm not sure how the party thought getting into bed with Trump was ultimately going to go for them.
I'll take "Things said by the rest of the Western world in 2015," for $600, Troy.
Troy Loney remembers very well how "hysterical" it was to talk about the consequences of installing Trump as head of the GOP

redwill

Postby redwill » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:40 pm

Not loopy until all those Russian bots hack their way into Putin as president of the Unites States of Soviet Rednecks
Yeah, I put the online poll thing in there as a joke about today's culture. Obviously there would be no poll. Just a bunch of white male billionaires meeting in secret.

redwill

Postby redwill » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:46 pm

Which is to say: welcome to 1787.