Job and General Employment Thread

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:54 pm

I thought the whole point of working remotely would be to minimize coworker relationships
People can be just as annoying over teams calls haha. At least I can mute myself and say what I really feel on a teams call though.
What sorts of issues are they fighting over?
The new company I work for is less than 250 people, but is growing. The team I came into had two other people both older ladies (say late 40's, early 50's) with decades of experience in both healthcare/IT/Integrations. They've probably forgotten more than I know to be honest.

The short story is they both feel disrespected by some of the guys on the R&D/Engineering teams based on them being women. There was some history before I joined that may or may not be 100% true, but I get why they feel that way. I've seen them get dismissed sometimes or excluded on something where if I would/do say the same thing I would not be. It's only one or two people that do it, but it's not cool.

This makes them both very defensive on calls and sometimes a bit confrontational. Now on the other side people can also be very condescending to them.

So I've been basically the middle man trying to keep them calm cool and collected while not taking the side of R&D as to try and keep everyone happy and focused on just getting our jobs done.

It's not the end of the world, but I just want to do my job and learn, and some days I have to play babysitter it seems.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:04 pm

'older'

You motherf**ker
:P

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:07 pm

'older'

You motherf**ker
:P
Yeah, seriously wtf skully :D

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:57 pm

Them old dodints need to retire.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:58 pm

Need to use 5 days of PTO before the end of the year... the 27th through the 30th are an obvious 4 days. Figured I'd do the 23rd too to just make them all consecutive. Might take one more this Friday and just bake cookies all day. Or maybe play video games all day...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:04 pm

We have a newer PM where I work with who is sharp as a tack and great at her job, a rare for a PM, because PMs are largely useless with few discernible skills. There are two guys on another team that we work closely with who constantly talk down to her and try and explain things like she’s an idiot. One of them was close to being fired over it had it not been for somebody else stepping in saying that losing a person - a person, not that person - would cause issues with a few end of year projects.

Both are on thin ice, and I think the guy I just mentioned knows his back is against the wall, because I heard that he has been going around inquiring about openings on other teams.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:54 pm

They released the company schedule for next year... we get 9 paid holidays each year. If things fall on goofy days, rather than our HR and leadership team deciding what day we're closed, we just stay open and get a floating holiday. In 2024, Christmas is on a Wednesday, so they decided to close just for Christmas day and give us a floating holiday rather than being open just for Monday, then 2 days closed, then 2 days open, then 2 days closed.

Cool, I get to decide when I take my days. Thanks.

Unfortunately, the floating holiday has to be "on the books" by the last pay period of the year which ends before Dec. 24th. So while we have a floating holiday, it can't be used on that day.

Now a normal person would say, "okay, no worries... I'll take my floating holiday some other day earlier in the year and save a PTO day for Dec. 24th" right? Nah... people lost their **** over it. Really bizarre, especially considering we have enough people that don't ever take days off around Christmas because they prefer to work those days and use PTO in the summer. I have taken the days off around Christmas for the past couple years, and I like it, but others don't.

I guess I just don't get the panty twisting over it.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:46 am

9 holidays huh cool

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:57 am

9 is nice. We get 8, though none are floating.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:18 am

Oh, you don't get Juneteenth? (11 here)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:22 am

My old company added Juneteenth. New one doesn't, but does have 'on-site festivities'. I celebrated from home.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:30 am

We have 11 holidays. They added MLK as a holiday this year that was not last year. Juneteenth is not one though. We do get Christmas eve as a holiday though which is nice.

This year since Christmas Eve falls on a Sunday they gave us the Tuesday after Christmas off which I thought worked out well. So it's 4 days off, then two nothing days wed/thurs, then four more days off for new years eve/new years. So basically 8 days off out of 10 total.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:45 am

we get like 6:

NYD
memorial day
july 4
labor day
thanksgiving
christmas

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:45 am

however with unlimited pto it doesn't really even matter

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:51 am

we get like 6:

NYD
memorial day
july 4
labor day
thanksgiving
christmas
This was our schedule for a long time, but a few years back they added Black Friday. Then a couple years after that they added Xmas Eve and a floating holiday.

The floating holiday has been used alongside the 4th of July to create a long weekend more often than not. I think the first year it was President's Day though.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:11 am

9 holidays huh cool
Part of the reason why I could never fathom going back to FedEx. 11 holidays plus 29.5 days off between vacation, personal, and cultural observance days.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:32 am

7 days for winter break this year, which kinda sucks in comparison to the last couple years (we've had 2 full weeks once or twice since COVID).

We get 14 holiday days this year, by my count, so 7 outside of Christmas/New Years

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:55 am

I'm off after today until January.

I get 30 days a year on top of the max 10 I carry over each year. Pretty tough to use that many honestly. I'll have to remember next year to take more 3 and 4 day weekends in the summer. I just hate using PTO because summer Fridays are too easy.

I will have to jump on monday-wednesday of next week for a couple high priority things I have to take care of before year end. Bad look but it is what it is.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:58 am

I'm so glad I get to carry over 30 days of PTO. My bank is full going into next year, and I plan to use a good bit of it. I can go through some cyclical years of using a lot and then not using a lot to save back up.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:09 am

I couldn't imagine a time where I would willfully carry over that much PTO. I've always taken every hour I've had available every year. We have unlimited now at my new job much like my old job was at the end so it doesn't matter really anyways.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:33 am

I like when people ask me if I’m taking PTO over the next two weeks. Technically no but also I won’t be working that hard either since everyone else will be out

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:29 pm

People will dodint about anything. We get free catered lunches but we have people dodinting that we don’t get free breakfast. Stfu already

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:34 pm

People will dodint about anything. We get free catered lunches but we have people dodinting that we don’t get free breakfast. Stfu already
:thumb: My boss tries to make everyone on her team happy (about 90 people). During our manager meetings, she'll fret over if someone will complain if we do something. I told her there will always be someone that complains, and you will never please everyone, so just go with the flow and use common sense and let the complainers complain.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:13 pm

older ladies (say late 40's, early 50's)
Just kill all us olds.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:18 pm

older ladies (say late 40's, early 50's)
Just kill all us olds.
Lol. I'm 40 myself. I'm just used to always working with younger people, and monstly guys in all the software/integration jobs I've had. You will have a woman here or there, but its still pretty male dominated where I've worked.

I was just pointing out that I think it seems that the two ladies who I'm teammates with sometimes just don't get the respect they should for the experience they bring to the job.

It's just a different experience and one I'm still even today trying to find a balance on backing them up on things, but trying to tell them sometimes you gotta pick your battles. It's a delicate situation that has some history before I came along...so just trying to navigate my way through. This week has just been exhausting dealing with all of it though.