Politics And Current Events

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:42 am

Two words...

Joe Manchin.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:43 am

Here's a ****-ton of money to vote how we want

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:44 am

Two words...

Joe Manchin.
And that NTP66 sinema or whatever her dumb name is

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:47 am

Yeah... when I said that I wished the dems had a little bit of GOP in them, what I meant was I wish they didn't give a sh*t about political norms and just jammed things through like the GOP does. I didn't mean I wish they literally had GOP members in their ranks.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:47 am

And let's not forget the entire GOP, who have publicly stated that they will not pass anything presented by the Dems.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:48 am

Republicans are refusing to raise the debt ceiling partly caused in part by legislation passed by the Trump admin. These same republicans raised the debt ceiling three times under the Trump admin.
This has nothing to do with Biden’s spending package.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:50 am

They just want to see the US default so that they can blame Biden and the Dems. Prove me wrong.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:50 am

Remember that the tax cuts were supposed to pay for themself.
they didn’t

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:54 am

Honest question, don't the Dems have the majority and could increase the debt ceiling w/o any GOP votes? My understanding is they have other avenues to do that as well.

And with regard to the spending bill, they can't even get on the same page in their own party, where the progressives want to go the entire 3.5T vs some moderate dems wanting to spend less (although more than the 1.5T the Republicans want).

I dont' think anyone is holding anyone hostage. Making more difficult, yes.

I mean, any insight from people that follow this a lot more closely, I'll take it. But that is my understanding of the situation.
But they are actively blocking the debit limit from being raised by filibustering it so a vote can't even happen. Vote against it if you like but filibustering it is blocking it.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:56 am

Source of the post I dont' think anyone is holding anyone hostage.
Interesting.
Not interesting.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:59 am

Honest question, don't the Dems have the majority and could increase the debt ceiling w/o any GOP votes? My understanding is they have other avenues to do that as well.

And with regard to the spending bill, they can't even get on the same page in their own party, where the progressives want to go the entire 3.5T vs some moderate dems wanting to spend less (although more than the 1.5T the Republicans want).

I mean, any insight from people that follow this a lot more closely, I'll take it. But that is my understanding of the situation.
But they are actively blocking the debit limit from being raised by filibustering it so a vote can't even happen. Vote against it if you like but filibustering it is blocking it.
Yeah, that's an issue. But even if it went to a vote, would it pass?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:02 am

Yes, no Democrat would vote against raising the debt limit

Mcconnell is try to force them to do it through the budget bill because there are disagreements on the overall budget, but it doesn’t have to be included in that negotiation
Last edited by Troy Loney on Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:03 am

The people who say that are nothing short of ignorant. These pieces of **** did whatever they wanted over the last 4 years, and now refuse to do anything to address the issues that stem directly from their choices.
I say that. I think I'm pretty short of ignorant. You can apply your pieces of poop statement to just about every administration. Neither party cares about debt. Neither party cares about paying for their spending. Both parties kick the can down the road. Neither party is willing to cut spending (because each party believes that its spending is more vital than the other party's)...which means the only way to balance a budget is to increase revenue. We provide the revenue, and taking more from us has negative political implications. So.......yeah.

https://www.thebalance.com/us-debt-by-p ... nt-3306296

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:03 am

Well, if my school house rock memories ring true, they discuss, they debate, they amend, they work things out to the point where it then will pass.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:03 am

Why would a GOP senator raise the debt ceiling three times under Trump?

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:09 am

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/06/politics ... index.html

Option to carve out and change the fillibuster for raising the debt ceiling is on the table.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:10 am

The people who say that are nothing short of ignorant. These pieces of **** did whatever they wanted over the last 4 years, and now refuse to do anything to address the issues that stem directly from their choices.
I say that. I think I'm pretty short of ignorant. You can apply your pieces of poop statement to just about every administration. Neither party cares about debt. Neither party cares about paying for their spending. Both parties kick the can down the road. Neither party is willing to cut spending (because each party believes that its spending is more vital than the other party's)...which means the only way to balance a budget is to increase revenue. We provide the revenue, and taking more from us has negative political implications. So.......yeah.

https://www.thebalance.com/us-debt-by-p ... nt-3306296
:thumb:

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:39 am

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:40 am

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/06/politics ... index.html

Option to carve out and change the fillibuster for raising the debt ceiling is on the table.
I'm so tired of the filibuster. Either remove it, or stop talking about it. It's the nuclear option, and whoever removes it first is going to benefit, but it's going to come back around.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:51 am

Yeah, that's an issue. But even if it went to a vote, would it pass?
It would because there would be 51 votes. The 60 is needed to overcome the filibuster.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:55 am

50.... just 50.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:18 am

It would because there would be 51 votes. The 60 is needed to overcome the filibuster.
:thumb: Gotcha, thanks. I was confusing those numbers.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:34 am

I fully expect the Dems to just say 'oh well, they won't comply'. Arrest them all and throw them in jail until they testify. Show a god damn backbone for once.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:51 am

Almost forgot that these were still a thing in the US:

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:52 am

Almost forgot that these were still a thing in the US:

I feel like there was another one just last week or the week before.