Religion Discussion Thread

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:18 am

Oh, please do start one. :fist:

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Motion to change the name of the thread to Religion Bashing Thread.
:lol:

Pretty much.
I do bash religion, but I'm more interested in learning why people can still do this. I don't get that perspective. it seems to me we should be moving on by now, but we may never.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:39 pm

I don't think scientific advances/discoveries and religion are mutually exclusive. Then again, I'm also not one of those people that thinks the earth is 6,000 years old either.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:42 pm

I'm pleased my implied question about the nature of perpetual Christian suffering went unacknowledged. I'll chalk it up to one of the many things religion can't address when challenged.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:47 pm

I'm pleased my implied question about the nature of perpetual Christian suffering went unacknowledged. I'll chalk it up to one of the many things religion can't address when challenged.
From my understanding, if you die a non-believer, you spend the rest of days away from God, until the Judgment. At that point, that's when the lake of fire stuff comes. So it's a pretty legitimately bad fate for those that turn away from acknowledging Christ as the savior. But again, I'm not an expert.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:48 pm

Nirvana_lake_of_fire.youtube

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:05 pm

What if those that believe get their heaven and those that don't get nothingness... no awareness of even being dead or an afterlife at all. That's about as far away from god as you can be. Which in that case, I guess everyone is right. F*ck it... muslims get their 72 virgins too.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:36 am

NirvanaMeat Puppets_lake_of_fire.youtube
FIFY

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:05 am

Hell, in Christian orthodoxy, is not the absence of God, but the absence of God's mercy. Full wrath, full-time, forever.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:07 am

That doesn’t sound fun. :(

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:22 am

Not making a joke here, it's something I've never understood.

My understanding of 'punishment for eternity' is spending it wallowing in the inglorious absence of God's presence. Now, if I didn't happen to revere God in the first place I don't see this is much of a punishment. It's difficult to endlessly yearn for something I never cared for or even validated in the first place.

I'll concede that if I did die and was made positively aware of God and then never got to actually benefit from that knowledge it would create a difficulty, but I'm not sure if it could be defined as suffering.
I'll give it a hack. I think of it more that you are denying your Maker (RIP Lane Staley). If you end up being wrong, you've spent your entire life lying to yourself and believing a lie. I believe some people are arrogant/angry/bitter/calloused enough that they wouldn't even care if they knew the truth. I'm not going to pretend to know what really happens to all of us when we die (anybody who does say they know is fooling themselves), but perhaps that is where the line is drawn between eternal suffering and eternal glory.

Addressing Kaiser's astonishment that religion is still a thing. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum where I'm astonished that so many non-believers buy into the "God doesn't exist" theory. The more I understand the human body, animal interaction, outer space, etc. the more I am baffled that people believe that these things came to be just by chance. It absolutely astounds me. Some of the smartest people the world has ever seen, and the best thing they can come up with is more unbelievable than a miracle itself.

It also puts the human mind at the top of the god spectrum. Only humans can possess the knowledge, either now or in the future, of what the universe is. Only human language, be it words, mathematics, science, is wise enough to know the deepest understandings of the world we live in.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Addressing Kaiser's astonishment that religion is still a thing. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum where I'm astonished that so many non-believers buy into the "God doesn't exist" theory. The more I understand the human body, animal interaction, outer space, etc. the more I am baffled that people believe that these things came to be just by chance. It absolutely astounds me. Some of the smartest people the world has ever seen, and the best thing they can come up with is more unbelievable than a miracle itself.
I'd love hear what you've seen about the universe and animals that makes intelligent design more plausible that either a cyclical natural "creation"
or eternal expansion via the big bang. This by the way is THE question I'm most interested in when I talk to creationists.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:17 pm

I'd love hear what you've seen about the universe and animals that makes intelligent design more plausible that either a cyclical natural "creation"
or eternal expansion via the big bang. This by the way is THE question I'm most interested in when I talk to creationists.
do you ever get interesting answers? there's always the, "it's to test your faith" safety valve to contend with.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:21 pm

do you ever get interesting answers? there's always the, "it's to test your faith" safety valve to contend with.
Theres that, and the Ken Ham style of making up laws to sidestep physics. Mostly, it just dies because people understand evolution in a backwards way, a way that does make God as plausible.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:23 pm

I don't believe that his post implied a belief in (new Earth) creationism.
Last edited by columbia on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:23 pm

His "observable" vs. "historical" science definitions still crack me up.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Bingo. The idea that the universe was designed intelligently is hardly antithetical to the concept of evolution or the Big Bang. I share Robbie's view. I look at the majesty of the universe, and the Earth itself, and look at how utterly perfect so many things are, and it's hard for me to imagine that everything is that way just by chance.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:31 pm

has anyone ever released a revised bible that strips out everything that is widely considered (by christians) to be either a metaphor or just plain nonsense? jesus would generally fall under this category, according to pretty much every christian i know, but we can leave him in there.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Bingo. The idea that the universe was designed intelligently is hardly antithetical to the concept of evolution or the Big Bang. I share Robbie's view. I look at the majesty of the universe, and the Earth itself, and look at how utterly perfect so many things are, and it's hard for me to imagine that everything is that way just by chance.
even the most boring, unremarkable parts of your life boil down to a one-in-a-trillion+ chance. the blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Perhaps your idea of perfection is crafted by the things you see around you. If the world had evolved in a different way you'd find beauty in the way you had defined it under those other conditions.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:35 pm

has anyone ever released a revised bible that strips out everything that is widely considered (by christians) to be either a metaphor or just plain nonsense? jesus would generally fall under this category, according to pretty much every christian i know, but we can leave him in there.
Most Christians you know think that the account of Jesus' birth, life, and death is nonsense? I hate to be that guy, but they are not real Christians :lol:

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Wait... what?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Most Christians you know think that the account of Jesus' birth, life, and death is nonsense? I hate to be that guy, but they are not real Christians :lol:
i know many churchgoers. they generally do not believe that jesus is the son of god. they think he exists, and that he was a good dude, though. the irony of this belief, of course, is that jesus is either holy, a con man or someone suffering from a severe mental condition like schizophrenia. and honestly if you bring in any grounded reasoning into the equation, it's definitely that last one. so what these people are positing is not what they think they're positing.

whether or not that disqualifies them from Christianity... i figure you need all the members you can get

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:42 pm

i know many churchgoers. they generally do not believe that jesus is the son of god. they think he exists, and that he was a good dude, though. the irony of this belief, of course, is that jesus is either holy, a con man or someone suffering from a severe mental condition like schizophrenia. and honestly if you bring in any grounded reasoning into the equation, it's definitely that last one. so what these people are positing is not what they think they're positing.

whether or not that disqualifies them from Christianity... i figure you need all the members you can get
idontbelieveyouironicallyenough.gif

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:43 pm

Are these churchgoers Jewish? Because one of the central tenets of being a Christian is believing that he is the son of god.