Politics And Current Events

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:16 pm

He is a product of our broken two party system. Republicans and democrats catering to the vocal minority in each party caused this dadhole to get to where he is.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:25 pm

this is why I don’t understand people on this board who claim to dislike Trump but still defend him. You can’t POSSIBLY defend this guy.

This isn’t a “my team vs your team” thing. I don’t have a team; I consider myself a radical centrist

Trump has been equivocally horrific for this country. That’s not to say that other politicians aren’t bad; Pelosi at the salon for example was dreadful

But Trump is, as I’ve said before, undeniably one of the worst presidents ever. I don’t care that he’s a Republican; that doesn’t matter to me. He’s a narcissistic child who is gaming the system because he knows what sells

He is helping accelerate the dissolution of civility in this country
dude, if your examples of people being bad politicians are Pelosi getting her hair done or Trump possibly having said something mean, you might be focused on the wrong things.

Don't fall into the trap. Its least common denominator sht.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:28 pm

And before anyone responds with "ohh but they're supposed to be setting an example" I got news for you... if youre looking for either party to set a good example, you're going to be very disappointed. They are so far beyond that its not even funny, its sad. 95% of these folks primary focus are their own special interests i.e. the ones that set they and their families up for life, financially.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:33 pm

THere was some snark about police-related legislation on the last page. To wit:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/police-ref ... 1599053689

If you can’t get behind the paywall, some tidbits:

-California is very blue
-Police reform bills aren’t making progress in the state legislature
-Police reform bills include some provisions that unions don’t like

So my question is this: if legislation is getting stalled in California, where the f is it going to work?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:34 pm

Feel free to ignore the kangaroo’s post and continue kibitzing about defending trump

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:40 pm

-California is very blue

So my question is this: if legislation is getting stalled in California, where the f is it going to work?
Isn’t that why we have the elected officials?

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:52 pm

No where. I really don't think things will ever change.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:55 pm

-California is very blue

Isn’t that why we have the elected officials?
I think his point is, these people are elected by a constituency that overwhelmingly supports police reform, yet they aren’t changing. Politicians aren’t out for your interests.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:08 pm

I mean, the article has a quote from the guy who introduced one of the bills saying “yeah, every legislator was happy when they found out about the bill, but after a few days it turned into ‘well, the police chief back home is pissed.” So California, which has a democratic governor and a democratic supermajority in the house and senate, can’t pass a law that makes it tougher for cops to just switch jobs after they screw up.

I dont want to simplify this into “politicians are bad” because that is atopic that has been rehashed over and over again since the dawn of time. I just wonder what it will take to actually make some meaningful progress. I dont think riots will lead to progress. I dont think removing trump from office will lead to progress.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:22 pm

Harsh truth - probably acceptance that a handful of people are going to be needlessly killed each year by police. Its a bummer, and it sucks, but more people were needlessly killed by non cops while I typed this.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:24 pm

The dodints at Facebook and Twitter are riled up:
At a recent companywide meeting, Facebook employees repeatedly argued that work policies created in response to Covid-19 “have primarily benefited parents.”

At Twitter, a fight erupted on an internal message board after a worker who didn’t have children at home accused another employee, who was taking a leave to care for a child, of not pulling his weight.

As companies wrestle with how to support their staff during the pandemic, some employees without children say they are being asked to shoulder a heavier workload. The divide is more pronounced at some technology companies, where workers tend to be younger and have come to expect generous perks and benefits in exchange for letting their jobs take over their lives.

Tech companies were among the first to ask employees to work from home in the pandemic, and to offer generous leave and additional time off once it became apparent that children would remain home from school.

The tension has been most vividly displayed at Facebook, which in March offered up to 10 weeks of paid time off for employees if they had to care for a child whose school or day-care facility had closed or for an older relative whose nursing home was not open.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/05/worl ... k-1654f6ad

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:25 pm

Nothing will change until either politicians stop being afraid of the unions and their endorsements or there is a radical change within police unions themselves. I doubt either of those things ever happen.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:34 pm

There may be a D supermajority in the CA Assembly and Senate, but remember that we do top-2 primaries. The top 2 vote getters in the primary go on the ballot regardless of whether or not they are in the same party. It has been discussed itt a few times how that impacts Congressional races, where a solid D seat might be imperiled by a glut of candidates diluting the primary vote and allowing 2 R candidates to squeak into the general; it isn't common at that level, but it is more common at the state level.

California has more registered Republicans than any state not called Texas. There are counties that Trump carried by a more than a 3:1 margin, and we've sent Kevin McCarthy and Devin Nunes to Congress. I mention that because the same region that sent Nunes to Washington sent a D to Sacramento. Same voters. It's not a simple matter of jamming stuff through because a lot of people in the state house have the same letter after their names.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:39 pm

Harsh truth - probably acceptance that a handful of people are going to be needlessly killed each year by police. Its a bummer, and it sucks, but more people were needlessly killed by non cops while I typed this.
The problem isn't inherently who is doing the killing. It is that between cops and non-cops, the former is far more likely to escape lasting consequence in the case of misdeeds.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:01 pm

I watched with glee while your kings and queens fought for ten decades for the gods they made...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:02 pm

Nothing will change until either politicians stop being afraid of the unions and their endorsements or there is a radical change within police unions themselves. I doubt either of those things ever happen.
+1

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:58 pm

This is hot garbage.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:01 pm

I hope they all sue and the university has to pay each of them millions for emotional distress.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:06 pm

I'd be taking my tuition out of someone's ass if they pulled that.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:17 pm

$36,500 for a semester?? Holy ****

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:43 pm

The Voice of Reason.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:52 pm

Refund that ****

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:09 pm

If they were consistently violating school policies then they absolutely should be dismissed. But, refund their damn money. That's nonsense.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:27 pm

They should definitely be refunded but I can't bring myself to shed a tear for anyone who can afford $36,500 for one semester of college.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:34 pm

this is why I don’t understand people on this board who claim to dislike Trump but still defend him. You can’t POSSIBLY defend this guy.

"Boy, that Trump is a clown. Hey Democrats, I'd like to order a Biden."

"Sure. As part of your Biden order, you also get included gun bans, higher taxes, and support for trillions of dollars of Green New Deal-type spending. Plus, as part of your Biden order, we're also throwing in a free Harris, who will double down on all of those things when she likely becomes President after Biden croaks."

"Uh, wow, I really don't want any of those things. Especially the gun bans. Can I order a Biden without those things?"

"Sorry, it's a complete all-or-nothing package. No à la carte ordering."

"Guess I'm sticking with Trump, then."

"HOW CAN YOU DEFEND TRUMP! FASCIST! RACIST!"